• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod head recommendations for scope (1 Viewer)

Getzonica

In the process of replacing my tripod, and while I will attempt to get the tripod head off my current tripod, thought it might be worth seeing if there's other heads worth looking at.

I've been using the Swarovski DH 101 head and rather like it as it's light weight (c500g), easy to use and I can use my scope without a plate. The weight is a big factor for me so when I looked at tripod heads last time, tried not to go much above 500g.

Any suggestions? Are there others that wouldn't require a plate for a Swarovski scope?

Hi,

the DH101 is a rather flimsy contraption, as is the swaro tripod. A fellow birders ATX 95 was quite under-mounted on them.

The Manfrotto 128RC is known to take (among others) the ATS/ATM and ATX series without a plate, but I didn't like it either - not as stable as I'd like my old Kowa TSN-3 (which is about the same weight as the 65mm Swaros). If you want to try it, I have a spare one, hardly used.

I like the Manfrotto 500AH which is nice and stable and has a longer plate to balance the scope (even longer ones are available as accessories.

Joachim

You didn't mention what size scope you are using. The Manfrotto 500 is a good choice for larger scopes But I have a Vanguard PH-114 that weighs 550 grams and is very steady with my Kowa 664. For the big scopes you need some beef and that takes weight. My set up for my Kowa 884 is an Induro 5 series tripod and a Manfrotto 502 head. Its not meant for long hikes but it's completely stable (barring 25 mph plus gusts) even with my 1.6 extender on it.
Steve

Interesting, cheers - ah yes, been using the ATX 65 and the Swarovski head seemed to work fine with that. I've just gone for an Induro tripod too after reading some of the other posts on here, but opted for the 204.

Thanks for the offer of trying the Manfrotto 128RC, but it would be too heavy for me I think.

My favorite is Gitzo GH1720QR with Desmond DGZA-1 to adapt it to Arca-Swiss standard.

--AP

Hadn't heard of Arca-Swiss standard before, but sounds interesting after some googling. What plate would you recommend? or... having done more googling, does the ATX then not need another plate?

Last edited:
If the primary use is with a scope, you might consider using a ball head.
They are lighter and smaller, as well as cheaper. Just use the scope body as the lever to steer your view.
My requirements are perhaps less than those of other forum contributors, but the inexpensive ($23 US on Amazon) Sinnofoto M1 offers an Arca Swiss compatible
mounting plate and is perfectly adequate for my Nikon EDIII. Combined with a Velbon Super Luxi tripod (now replaced by their Ultra series), it provides a stable base in a handy 3 pound package.

Last edited:
Hadn't heard of Arca-Swiss standard before, but sounds interesting after some googling. What plate would you recommend? or... having done more googling, does the ATX then not need another plate?

With the ATX, the foot is already Arca-Swiss standard. To use it with the Gitzo GH1720QR, you'd just need the Desmond DGZA-1 adapter.

To use most other scopes, or other equipment that you might want to adapt to Arca-Swiss, you'll need a quick release plate. Although many companies make plates compatible with the Arca standard, they don't all perfectly match it, which can be aggravating if you use plates from different manufacturers with the same head at different times. You may find yourself having to adjust the clamp more than necessary when switching one piece of equipment on the head for another.

I use plates from Really Right Stuff and from Kirk Enterprises. They are the exact same width, so are interchangeable. Both work smoothly with the Desmond adapter.

The most important thing is to get a plate that attaches securely to your equipment, and that has a lip to prevent rotation once secured. Some cheap plates use rubber interface (bad!), don't have a lip, or are so insubstantial that they flex and are not secure. I find that a generic lipped plate like the RRS BP-CS or the Kirk PZ-17 will work with most scopes and similar equipment, and custom fit plates are available for camera models, long lenses, etc.

--AP

Cheers, I'll look into that. Hadn't thought much about ball heads so something to think about.

With heads like the Gitzo one, are you able to shorten the handle?

Most heads designed for video use have a long handle, with a rubber grip.
You can shorten it by playing a hair dryer over the rubber grip until you can loosen and remove it. Measure your ideal handle length, cut with a hacksaw, smooth the cut end with a file, then replace the grip. Takes about 15 minutes.

Most heads designed for video use have a long handle, with a rubber grip.
You can shorten it by playing a hair dryer over the rubber grip until you can loosen and remove it. Measure your ideal handle length, cut with a hacksaw, smooth the cut end with a file, then replace the grip. Takes about 15 minutes.

Aha, cheers! Handy thing to remember.

With the ATX, the foot is already Arca-Swiss standard. To use it with the Gitzo GH1720QR, you'd just need the Desmond DGZA-1 adapter.

To use most other scopes, or other equipment that you might want to adapt to Arca-Swiss, you'll need a quick release plate. Although many companies make plates compatible with the Arca standard, they don't all perfectly match it, which can be aggravating if you use plates from different manufacturers with the same head at different times. You may find yourself having to adjust the clamp more than necessary when switching one piece of equipment on the head for another.

I use plates from Really Right Stuff and from Kirk Enterprises. They are the exact same width, so are interchangeable. Both work smoothly with the Desmond adapter.

The most important thing is to get a plate that attaches securely to your equipment, and that has a lip to prevent rotation once secured. Some cheap plates use rubber interface (bad!), don't have a lip, or are so insubstantial that they flex and are not secure. I find that a generic lipped plate like the RRS BP-CS or the Kirk PZ-17 will work with most scopes and similar equipment, and custom fit plates are available for camera models, long lenses, etc.

--AP

Cheers, hadn't heard of Arca-swiss until recently, but sound much better than the basic manfrotto plates.

One thing I've been wondering, is if the longer plates (like the Manfrotto/Gitzo) are almost as secure? They few times I've tried them they feel better than the small square plates, but presumably not as good as the arca-swiss versions?

...One thing I've been wondering, is if the longer plates (like the Manfrotto/Gitzo) are almost as secure? They few times I've tried them they feel better than the small square plates, but presumably not as good as the arca-swiss versions?

For me, secure means that the plate bolts firmly to the equipment, doesn't allow any wiggle/wobble/flex, doesn't rotate (i.e. can't twist and start to unscrew), and thus doesn't loosen at all in use. The only plates that meet this standard are made of metal, have an attachment screw that inserts deeply (several turns of the threading), lack any kind of rubber contact surface yet make secure contact with the equipment, and have a lip to prevent rotation.

I've not found any plates from Gitzo or Manfrotto that meet this standard. Their plates generally lack antirotation features, or else are quite inelegant and function poorly. If you have a scope with a video pin receptacle in the foot, and it doesn't need a long plate for balancing, the little Bogen 3157 plate with pin is a good plate, despite the rubber contact surface. However, it only works with heads like the 700RC2 that orient the plate with long axis front to back.

I have a medium-length Gitzo plate GS5370MC https://www.amazon.com/Gitzo-GS5370MC-Release-Medium-Length/dp/B001CZAQ3I that I use with my Nikon 78ED. I like it a lot because it is the right length to balance the scope perfectly, but I had to modify it significantly to meet my standard. The video pin on it is hopeless (wobbles loosely) so doesn't function for antirotation, and the rubber strips become unglued, distorted, squirm out of place, and detach over time when a small-footed scope or lens is mounted. I removed the rubber strips, then used a Dremel tool to grind the central metal strip flat to match the depth of the recessed sides of the plate that originally held the rubber strips. I only ground away enough of the length of the central strip to allow the scope foot to seat securely. I left the strip in front of the foot to serve as an antirotation lip, and I left the metal along the back top edge of the plate to serve as an antirotation lip behind the scope foot. It's a custom fit now. Very secure. Metal to metal.

--AP

Is there a lightweight fluid pan head that is Arca Swiss compatible? Every compact model I see uses incompatible custom QR plates.
While there are plenty such ball heads, those more fussy to operate plus I miss the handle.

Is there a lightweight fluid pan head that is Arca Swiss compatible? Every compact model I see uses incompatible custom QR plates.
While there are plenty such ball heads, those more fussy to operate plus I miss the handle.

Some of the Berlebach models eg 552 are Arca compatible, some apparently need converting.
I used a BH55 ball head for many years, with scopes and cameras and didn't have any real problems with using it, though others unfamiliar with it certainly did. Currently I use a Lensmaster gimbal, again with scope and camera, don't miss a handle. However, I am starting to do a bit more video work and considering a fluid head. Had several in the past-Manfrotto and Gitzo all of which had their faults (the qr plates working loose all the time being the worst) so it will need to be take Arca plates.
A friend is expecting to take delivery of a Berlebach 510 shortly so I am hoping to get to try it out. He's not sure if it will accept Arca plates as standard though, so he may need buy a conversion kit (I think that's right-its been a couple of weeks since he spoke about it).

Is there a lightweight fluid pan head that is Arca Swiss compatible? Every compact model I see uses incompatible custom QR plates...

...considering a fluid head. Had several in the past-Manfrotto and Gitzo all of which had their faults (the qr plates working loose all the time being the worst) so it will need to be take Arca plates...

I seem to recall one or more recent threads in which lightweight Arca compatible heads were discussed. Sirui is always mentioned.

As noted above, if you like any of the Gitzo heads (I like GH1720QR), you'd just need the Desmond DGZA-1 adapter (costs only $12) to make it perfectly Arca-Swiss. You can leave the adapter on the head or on the plate. I love it.

--AP

Last edited:
I seem to recall one or more recent threads in which lightweight Arca compatible heads were discussed. Sirui is always mentioned.

As noted above, if you like any of the Gitzo heads (I like GH1720QR), you'd just need the Desmond DGZA-1 adapter (costs only $12) to make it perfectly Arca-Swiss. You can leave the adapter on the head or on the plate. I love it.

--AP

Thank you, Alexis, for your insights. They help define the problem
Among the Sirui offerings, I could not find a simple fluid pan head, just a range of ball heads and a gimbal head, which is really too big for my needs.
The Gitzo is more head than I'd had in mind price wise, so have ordered this very inexpensive and purportedly Arca Swiss compatible unit via Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Tripo...00P22ORAK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
It is probably marginal for photography, but should be adequate for scoping. I'll post impressions once it arrives and gets used.

Last edited:
I have been a satisfied user of the Berlebach 552 (now superseded by 553) for several years. It is lightweight and the manufacturing quality is of the highest standard.

The newer 510 is even lighter and is less expensive than the awful Swarovski DH 101. Compared to the 552/553 the 510 has the advantage of a single locking lever for pan and tilt, but it would appear that it lacks the preload spring of the 552 or 553.

All Arca Swiss plates can be used on the Berlebach heads but they have their own safety retention system, which may not be compatible with other plates, so it would be advisable to stay with theirs.
I formerly used a Swarovski ATM 65HD, which was very tail heavy, and Berlebach modified one of their longer plates to fit at no extra charge.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back