• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens coats on Canon white lenses (1 Viewer)

Malcolm Stewart

Are there any downsides to camouflaging our "white" lenses inside a lens-coat? Does the lens-coat material bond to the "white" paint over a period of time causing damage when removed?

Earlier today I met a Nikon D300 user with his Nikon 300 f2.8 all in low reflective black. Looked just the thing for birding!

Malcolm,

I used a LensCoat for my Canon 300mm F4 - It consisted of three peices; the two larger pieces are made of neoprene like material and so don't actually stick to the lens. The thirdis a thin piece that goes around the base of the lens and this has a sticky backing to adhere it to the lens and this does leave a sticky residue when you remove it, but this is easy to remove.

Mark

No downsides only the price bit of a rip off for what you actually get.

I agree and there is a little difference in price between the large lenses, 500mm - $100, and mid-size lenses, 70-200mm - $90. I was interested in one for my zoom after getting one for my 500mm, but that is on hold because of the price.

Thanks guys. Useful and practical information.

What started me wondering was that I noticed the loss of a minute spot of paint on my EF 400 f5.6L. Perhaps I'd missed this on delivery (lens was s/h), but more likely I'd scuffed it on something. Whilst I normally keep lenses a long time, it started me thinking about potential resale value being seriously reduced if I get any more scuffs.
(I do have the correct repair paint, but not too much skill.)

for my 500f4isL i use a leg from a pair of boys neoprean camo trouses, i made it to long so that leves a flap to cover the mk3 should it rain.
it really does work great.
The cost was £5 but as i went half's with my mate it was just £2.50 each :)
He made his for a 300f2.8isL so cut it a little shorter.
Rob.

I went to a army surplus and got a old pair of camoflague trousers and cut the legs of made four slave for my Canon 400.cost £ 3.00 and a bit of sowing,keeps the lens clean and warm to the touch as well as covering the horrid white.

If it's just for protection buy a roll of camo tape off e-bay but make sure you order the type that can easily be removed without leaving any residue. I've used it and it is good.

Following a PM this morning, and in case anyone else needs the info:-

The Canon "white" paint colour is matched by Ford Cameo Beige, Halfords # 452433.

The following thread covers it in detail.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12023400

or

http://www.glennbartley.com/natureph...er 300mm.htm

Plenty of Google hits for "Canon Ford Cameo beige"

I bought mine about 2 years ago from Halfords, and it is a very good match. I think it was around £8 for ~50ml in a 100ml brush-in-lid bottle. I discovered today that the bottle's plastic lid had fractured, and I've now transferred the paint to a 50ml paint tin. Hopefully this will outlast my use of white lenses...

Following a PM this morning, and in case anyone else needs the info:-

The Canon "white" paint colour is matched by Ford Cameo Beige, Halfords # 452433.

The following thread covers it in detail.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12023400

or

http://www.glennbartley.com/natureph...er 300mm.htm

Plenty of Google hits for "Canon Ford Cameo beige"

I bought mine about 2 years ago from Halfords, and it is a very good match. I think it was around £8 for ~50ml in a 100ml brush-in-lid bottle. I discovered today that the bottle's plastic lid had fractured, and I've now transferred the paint to a 50ml paint tin. Hopefully this will outlast my use of white lenses...
Thanks for the paint tip Malcolm! what the betting some people will paint tatty old lenses to look like Canon L Lenses? LoL
Personally I hate the white lenses and cannot understand why they are that colour? surely black is easier to mould or even rubber coated to protect them like spotting scopes? mmmmmmmmm
Cheerio
Brian

Thanks for the paint tip Malcolm! what the betting some people will paint tatty old lenses to look like Canon L Lenses? LoL
Personally I hate the white lenses and cannot understand why they are that colour? surely black is easier to mould or even rubber coated to protect them like spotting scopes? mmmmmmmmm
Cheerio
Brian

My guess is that Canon paint their lenses white to reflect heat.
Though if this were a problem one would imagine Nikon would do the same.
The black ones certainly look better in my opinion.
Mike

Mike

In contrast to Nikon, Canon use artificial fluorite crystal in many of their long lenses. Compared to glass, this material is affected by water so anything to assist the hermetic sealing I imagine has to be a good thing. On the occasional really hot summer's day I have noticed that the white lens is cooler than black items, and in sunnier places, I'd expect a bigger effect.

Mike
I thought maybe it was to advertise that a certain person is using premium canon gear? Eg at a football match, the white L lenses stand out pretty well, and certainly used to advertise a lot of long lenses were Canon.

I thought maybe it was to advertise that a certain person is using premium canon gear? Eg at a football match, the white L lenses stand out pretty well, and certainly used to advertise a lot of long lenses were Canon.

How very cynical of you AC/DC! :-O (though I think you may be right).

I also use a leg from a pair of cammo trousers, but I paid an extortionate £10 to cover my 600mm f4 and 300mm f2.8 lenses.

A friend has the "real thing", but to me it still leaves areas of white exposed. Whereas the trouser leg can be made to cover the whole lens, with a flap cut to allow access to the switches, and if made a bit too long it also gives the option to also cover the 1.4x and 2 extenders when used.

On the subject of Lens coat - for a Canon 500mmf4 IS L. Is it still possible to remover the hood and put it 'in reverse' over the Lenscoated lens for easier carrying, eg in a LowePro bag or does the thickness of the Lenscoat prevent this?
Kevin

On the subject of Lens coat - for a Canon 500mmf4 IS L. Is it still possible to remover the hood and put it 'in reverse' over the Lenscoated lens for easier carrying, eg in a LowePro bag or does the thickness of the Lenscoat prevent this?
Kevin

Yes you can reverse the hood with the lenscoat on, you can still use the silly lens cover too.

About a month has passed since the last posting here, and today I visited Norwich and dropped in to Warehouse Express and bought the black version of the LensCoat for my EF 400 f5.6L. Black because it was the cheapest of the various offerings, and as the 400 f5.6 doesn't contain any fluorite, the colour isn't an issue. I'm quite impressed by the fit, and as I've had one of my "white" lenses rejected in a part exchange deal simply on account of its less than pristine appearance, I'm hoping that the lens coat will help maintain the value of this currently mint lens.

I'm also thinking of investigating Camoform and perhaps Vet Wrap as recommended elsewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back