• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone tried "superhydrophobic nanotechnology" waterproof your jacket? (e.g. Nanex) (1 Viewer)

shiphen

Anyone tried "superhydrophobic nanotechnology" waterproof your jacket? (e.g. Nanex)

Hello

Have any of you tried using "superhydrophobic nanotechnology" to waterproof your jackets?
e.g. "Always Dry - Textile & Leather" by the Belgium based company Nanex Products does sound amazing!

- It lasts "up to 18 months"
- It does not affect "color, texture or breathability of the treated material"
- "safe and easy" to apply

The big down-side is that it's quite expensive to buy just c. 30 Euros for a 375ml spray.

Either way, I am sick and tired of wasting money on Nikwax which:
a) Seems to get pretty much washed off by the first day of serious (Scottish) rain
b) Works best only when you 'cook' it slightly in a tumble drier - but this causes it to stink.
c) Doesn't work all that well at causing water to bead up in the first place! All you have to do is rub your fabric in the rain with something (e.g. a finger) and water stops beading off properly.
Fwiw, I have a Paramo jacket made from polyester and also a Keela one (both shell and lining are "100% polyester with polyurethane coating").

My question how long do any of these coatings last in practice? Have any of you tried things like "Always Dry" from Nanex?
I have no affiliation to Nanex, btw.

J

P.S. Fwiw, I saw a terrible review for the "Never Wet" superhydrophobic fabric system (from nanonstate.co.uk) which claimed that it left terrible chalky stains on the fabric. And here is another less than favorable review for "Never Wet" too: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/01/neverwets-clear-water-repelling-spray-less-magic-more-wet/

Last edited:
Fwiw, I just got an email reply back from Nanex. Here's what they say:

>>>
The Nano coatings applied by the Always Dry spray offers up to 18 months of protection for articles which are not exposed to frequent washing or dry cleaning. We recommend warm water with a microfiber cloth to remove the dirt and to apply it again on the fabric after 6 months or 40 to 60 wash cycles.
>>>

If they are claiming that fabric treated with their spray would last more than say 10 washing full-on cycles that would be much better than I seem to get from NicWax.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back