• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold' Birding Year 2017 (1 Viewer)

Stopped off at Penclacwydd for my lunch break today. Heaps of Med Gulls around as well as a Spoonbill. The bird I was after though was sat out in front of the British Steel hide. A whumper of a Tern:eek!:

199. Caspian Tern Lifer #7B :)B :)B :)

Thanks to the birder from Rhos who had his scoped trained on the bird already. Really impressed with the view give by the little Opticron -MM3?

Rich

Went up to Ystradfellte this evening. A Peregrine being harassed by crows was the first bird of note quickly followed by a Common Buzzard. Species #200 followed a little later which coincidentally, was #200 last year as well.

200. Nightjar:t:B :)

Need to get round to adding some from recent couple of days in Norfolk. Here's a start:

201. Stone Curlew Lifer #8B :)B :)Great views of 3 individuals at Weeting Heath.

202. Woodlark Lifer#9 B :)B :) Again at Weeting Heath.

203. Grey Partridge - Finally!!B :)B :)B :)B :)Lifer#10

At Flitcham Abbey Farm. My biggest bogey bird finally nailed:t:

204. Egyptian Goose
205. Black-winged Stilts Lifer#11 B :)

Both at Potter Heigham.

A few more from the weekend.

209. Turtle Dove
210. Yellow- Legged Gull Lifer#13:t:
211. Caspian Gull Lifer#14B :)
212. Whimbrel

And then on the way home.

213. Bee-eater Lifer#15 B :)B :)B :)B :)

A cracking trip.

Headed East today. The A48 was closed which was right royal pain but a couple of year ticks at Goldcliff went some way to making up for this.

214. Wood Sandpiper
215. Yellow Wagtail

Up to last year's total but no trip to Yorkshire this year:-C. Still got a couple of easier ticks to get though - Barwit, Sarnie Tern, Green Sand etc. so hopefully there'll be a couple more to come.

Rich

Nothing new to add today but can now add Blue Rock Thrush to my paltry life list. :t:

3 Spoonbills and 25+ Greenshank were good to see at Penclacwydd. My son thought the flyover Peregrine when we were in the canoe was pretty good to.

Picked up species #217 on my lunch break this week. I rarely see these yet see hundreds of black-Tailed.

217. Bar-Tailed Godwit.

Last edited:
Dipped on King Eider yesterday but added Green Sandpiper at Ynyshir yesterday.

218. Green Sandpiper

Trying to work out what "easier" species are left. Little Owl and Purple Sandpiper I suppose. I certainly don't see Woodcock and Merlin every year. An upcoming trip to Scotland should give another attempt at Ptarmigan. Other than that I think it's whatever rarities the Autumn throws up. Did semi-regret not going to Strumble yesterday though. Rob had 4 species of Skua, Sabines Gull etc. etc. :eek!:

Managed to get a pass to duck down to the Gower this morning. Initially went to the wrong spot but Rob@GlamBirder gave me a ring and gave me exact directions. Cheers Rob:t:

Bird was showing really well and was being enjoyed by some birders from the Heathrow area. A belter of a bird that my rubbish photo did no justice to at all.

As an absolute stonker of a bonus, a juvenile Goshawk flew by being mobbed by some crows. A very good morning.

219. Woodchat Shrike Lifer#16 :eek!:B :)B :)B :)B :)

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_4181.jpg
    IMG_4181.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 69
Paul Roberts whom I follow on Twitter found a Grey Phalarope at Ogmore today. One of my favourite species so I was well pleased when it hung around until after work:t:

220 Grey Phalarope

Attachments

• IMG_4389.jpg
    IMG_4389.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4379.jpg
    IMG_4379.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Wasn't expecting one of these today. Stopped in for a very quick lunch break at Penclacwydd today. Fantastic bird. Just wish I could have stayed longer.

221. Red-necked Phalarope Lifer#17B :)B :)B :)

Last edited:
Headed up to Newport early this morning with Kev. Spotted Crake reported yesterday as showing well. Had feedback on Twitter to say it had only been seen on a reserve camera - showing well my arse!!!!:storm::storm:

Had a nice view of a Kingfisher and heard a Water Rail and a few Cettis.

On the way back we stopped off at Kenfig Pool hoping for a repeat of last week's great view of the male Kingfisher. Almost immediately we got onto 2 Black Terns at the far side of the pool. Extremely happy as these hadn't been reported. :t:

222. Black Tern

And have just got back from watching a local production of Madagascar at the Gwyn Hall. Have to say we all really enjoyed.

Rich

Ok. So I wasn't expecting this. A second species of Rock Thrush this year. Finished work a little early and got as quickly to the Blorenge as I could. It's funny, when you're in rush you tend to get stuck behind every learner or service bus going:-O

224. Rock Thrush Lifer# 18B :)B :)B :)

Very happy with this one. Much more satisfying that the Blue Rock Thrush on a housing estate in the Cotswolds:t:

Rich

Back in Somerset for a long weekend. Several GWE's at Chew Valley Lake and then onto Wells for lunch. Can recommend the Ham, eggs and chips- delicious at Liberty cafe.

On from here to Ham Wall. Again GWE present along with Sparrowhawks, Marsh Harrier, Kestrel, LTT's, Cettis etc. And from the Avalon hide was lifer #19 for the year.

225. Ferruginous Duck Lifer #19B :)

Back at the cottage a celebratory glass (or 2;)) of wine was had in the hot tub.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back