• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What do you carry your kit in? (1 Viewer)

beachlover

As a complete newbie to birdwatching, but looking at carrying shelter, scope, camera and food/drink etc; I wonder what you use to transport you kit conveniently and safely.
Thanks in advance and if this is in the wrong place, please move it to the right one!

I just use an ordinary backpack. Nothing fancy as it usually get changed every few years as I have a habit of rolling down mountain-sides (by mistake may I add!).

Personally I use a Lowepro backpack for my camera kit and all the other bits and bobs (lunch, hat, gloves and stuff). Have my bins round my neck and my scope (attached to tripod) over my shoulder, notebook in my pocket. That way everything is ready for easy use (except the camera - but then I never get really good views of birds/animals if you have your camera out and ready to use).

Hi there, IOW eh ...i often wonder what the birdlife is like there but never seem to hear or read much about it.

Anyhow, to answer you question ....mostly on my bike, either in panniers or strapped on the rack ... and when i get off i usually only have bino's round my neck & scope (if i've brought it) on a shoulder strap. But then i rarely walk very far so don't have a need to carry my dinner etc with me

Last edited:
A stay-on cover for the scope is , I think, essential. Carry that over the shoulder with tripod attached. Bins round the neck on a short strap (leave the case at home). The rest goes in a back-pack: tea, coffee, biscuits, pork pie, field guide etc., except for, in my case, the ciggy tin, tobacco and papers, tips and lighter that have to remain easily accessible and are therefore kept in the jacket pocket together with the mobile phone (switched off but there in case you should get lost!)

Last edited:
Lowepro Orion Trekker (camera + bits in bottom section, bins case, food, drink, etc in top section) and something (coat or vest) with loads of pockets for small field guide, notebook, maps, fags, lighter, portable ashtray, Mighty Midget, gloves, hat, tissues, more food, etc.

hollis_f said:
Lowepro Orion Trekker (camera + bits in bottom section, bins case, food, drink, etc in top section) and something (coat or vest) with loads of pockets for small field guide, notebook, maps, fags, lighter, portable ashtray, Mighty Midget, gloves, hat, tissues, more food, etc.

I am curious...... what is a Mighty Midget :h?:

Hello Beachlover and welcome to Bird Forum.

I normally use a plain rucksack but if I'm feeling a bit lazy and can't bothered to lug it over one shoulder and my scope/tripod over the other I just put things in my coat pockets LOL
Mobile *switched to vibrate instead of ring* is in my inside coat pocket and notebook in my left, pencil in my right. Car/house keys in my jeans pocket.
Don't normally carry a field guide with me - though there IS one in the car - UNLESS I know there's something tricky at a particular site (and then I don't know WHY i bother cos I always miss the bird anyway!!! ;) ).
Don't seem to carry food on me either as I'll normally have a huge breakfast and keep some apples etc in the car. Only if I know I'll be out ALL day do I take my rucksack and put sandwiches etc in there.

You'll soon suss out what system works best for you.....I just hate being weighed down with loads of stuff!

GILL

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks folks!
I have a Lowe camera rucksack, but while it carries the camera OK, It wont accommodate scope, or if it does the remainder of the sack holds little in the way of clothing food and drink. Some of the planned watching will involve a bit of walking and clambering down cliffs with one hand occupied holding on, so I was looking for a system that would enable me to carry the lot and have my hands free. The best option so far is a medium sized bergan, but I object in principle to looking like a would be rambo.
Thanks again for the advice and the warm welcme to a complete newbie!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back