• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica September 4 2017 (1 Viewer)

Conquest 10x42 HD 116m at 1000m measured on stars.

There are quite a lot of older Porro 10x50s that are much wider.
There is a similar Russian EWA but the one I have is poor mechanically. Shoddy build quality.

I consider most modern binocular fields to be pathetic.

Zeiss SF 10x42 and a couple of the top makers' 10x32 bins have 120 m/1000m FOV. Apparent field of 120 m /1000m at 10x is pretty wide I think.

Conquest 10x42 HD 116m at 1000m measured on stars.

There are quite a lot of older Porro 10x50s that are much wider.
There is a similar Russian EWA but the one I have is poor mechanically. Shoddy build quality.

I consider most modern binocular fields to be pathetic.

"Pathetic" fields of view seem to be a feature of most old 10x40 roofs, not just the modern ones. Zeiss Jena Notarem 10x40 had 105m, Swift Trilyt 10x40 approximately 104m - slightly less than the 110m of the old/re-released Trinovids and Dialyt 10x40Bs. (I haven't been able to find out the field of view of the 10x40 or 10x42 Bausch & Lomb Elites.) Indeed the modern 10x40 class binoculars seem to have increased fields of view, albeit not by a great deal. The Zeiss SF and the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 (121m) seem to be the only 10x40 class roofs that a 110m field of view might feel "restrictive" in comparison to, and both are modern.

10x50 porros are quite a different kettle of fish being much larger and bulkier.

Maybe the best instrument for Binastroing already exists...the Nikon WX 10x50?

Last edited:
My Bausch and Lomb 10x42 P is marked 5.6 degrees. 98m at 1000m. I can't remember my star measure but about the same.
A very nice binocular. Quite big and fairly heavy. I do use it as it just stays ready for use.

The problem with the WX is weight. Even when young I might have had a problem, but I could hand hold the Celestron 20x80 at about 2.4 kg for 20 minutes without a problem.
I see no point in tripod mounting a WX. It is impossible to get some angles with tripod mounted binoculars.

Pentax 20x60 2.2 degrees. How ridiculous. Also my one is poor optically with lousy resolution.
Selected Soviet 20x60 3.5 degrees.

Henri, post 188 and 221, Hermann, post 193, Holger post 230,
Dear all,
I will try to address some things that were discussed before.
* Henry, the Leica/Kern 8x30 with relatively low transmission for its day of birth, is indeed equipped with laser filters, yielding a rather low transmission for a porro from the year 2000.
* To all others mentioned.
I have investigated the phase correction problem for roof prisms a little further and I found the following:
Dr. Joos published his paper about :"Die Bildverschlechterung durch Dachprisman und ihre Behebung" in a 7-page paper in German in 1943 (I wrote 1941, but that was wrong). The paper describes in detail the cause of the phase problems. He also remarks, and I quote: "Die von Herrn Werkmeister Wendland gemachte Beobachtung, dass durch Versilberung der Fläche ein wesentliche Verbesserung zu erzielen ist, gab den Anlass, der Ursache dieser Bildverschlechterung nachzugehen.....
So the roof prism problem was recognised and a possible solution was reached from the "working class" coworkers in the Zeiss plant. It would take until 1988 until Zeiss implemented phase correction coatings in its roof prism binoculars and other producers followed quickly.
Gijs van Ginkel

Henri, post 188 and 221, Hermann, post 193, Holger post 230,
Dear all,
I will try to address some things that were discussed before.
* Henry, the Leica/Kern 8x30 with relatively low transmission for its day of birth, is indeed equipped with laser filters, yielding a rather low transmission for a porro from the year 2000.
* To all others mentioned.
I have investigated the phase correction problem for roof prisms a little further and I found the following:
Dr. Joos published his paper about :"Die Bildverschlechterung durch Dachprisman und ihre Behebung" in a 7-page paper in German in 1943 (I wrote 1941, but that was wrong). The paper describes in detail the cause of the phase problems. He also remarks, and I quote: "Die von Herrn Werkmeister Wendland gemachte Beobachtung, dass durch Versilberung der Fläche ein wesentliche Verbesserung zu erzielen ist, gab den Anlass, der Ursache dieser Bildverschlechterung nachzugehen.....
So the roof prism problem was recognised and a possible solution was reached from the "working class" coworkers in the Zeiss plant. It would take until 1988 until Zeiss implemented phase correction coatings in its roof prism binoculars and other producers followed quickly.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks, Gijs!

In this context it may be worth mentioning that, independent of Joos (who's work had not been available in the English literature), the Indian Mahan had investigated the phase-shift problems in 1945:

A. I. MAHAN: Focal Plane Anomalies in Roof Prisms. In: Journal of the Optical Society of America. Volume 35, no. 10, 1. Oktober 1945, p 623–635

A solution, i.e. the p-correction coating, had been suggested by Maurer in 1966:

Paul Maurer: Phase Compensation of Total Internal Reflection. In: Journal of the Optical Society of America. Volume 56, no. 9, 1. September 1966, p. 1219–1221

Cheers,
Holger

Eye relief is only 9mm though.

Hermann

I guess that was the price that had to be paid for such a wide field of view, certainly back then. My Oberkochen 8x30 (non-B) has to be placed almost right over my eyes in order to take in its entire field of view. I gather the big 15x60 was developed into a B version over time: I would be interested to know how much (if any) field of view was sacrificed.

Minolta 10x50 Standard MK Extra Wide 7.8 deg 136m at 1000m 410ft at 1000yds. Multi coated.
In fact coatings are poor by modern terms. Also the easily seen field is 7.65 deg. Eye relief small.
Some seem to have better cases than mine. Nice brown square instead of soft black.

Hoya and Swift 10x50s similar fields.

All Japanese.

My old 15x60 Zeiss is from memory 4.4 degree field.

B&H now has full descriptions with specs for each model up, with a zoomable pic of the different armor coverings . Really appreciate that a manufacturer is trying to bridge the gap with a small in hand, lightweight bin in the 7x format. The 450' FOV sounds great....fingers crossed that the 15mm eye relief is accommodating enough to glasses wearers. Can't wait to hear the first review.

It just occurred to me that this re-issue of the Trinovids should result in a new supply of spare parts at Leica that ought to fit the originals (possibly including some interchangeable eyepiece and prism parts that might fit the old 7x42 and 8x32). The biggest problem with the old ones was certainly the prism. It might now be possible to have Leica refurbish originals with new phase corrected Uppendahls. Since eventually the silver mirror coatings in the old ones will tarnish, rendering them optically useless, a dielectric coated replacement would also greatly increase the effective lifespan of the instrument.

Last edited:
It just occurred to me that this re-issue of the Trinovids should result in a new supply of spare parts at Leica that ought to fit the originals (possibly including some interchangeable eyepiece and prism parts that might fit the old 7x42 and 8x32). The biggest problem with the old ones was certainly the prism. It might now be possible to have Leica refurbish originals with new phase corrected Uppendahls. Since eventually the silver mirror coatings in the old ones will tarnish, rendering them optically useless, a dielectric coated replacement would also greatly increase the effective lifespan of the instrument.

Good luck with that, at least at Leica USA. It's Leica, not Swarovski service you're dealing with.......

Good luck with that, at least at Leica USA. It's Leica, not Swarovski service you're dealing with.......

A great opportunity for Leica to show that it has sharpened its focus on customer service.
Prism replacement/recoating is major surgery, which should not be free. That said, just offering the service would be a strong signal that Leica stands behind its products over the long term.

I've often wondered whether manufacturing replacement lenses and/or prisms for classic older binoculars would be a viable business proposition. There must be thousands of old 10x40 Dialyts (for instance) out there and although some of their current owners are probably still happy with them, a good number could well be willing to pay for ED glass lenses and dielectric prisms to be retrofitted into them.

I've often wondered whether manufacturing replacement lenses and/or prisms for classic older binoculars would be a viable business proposition. There must be thousands of old 10x40 Dialyts (for instance) out there and although some of their current owners are probably still happy with them, a good number could well be willing to pay for ED glass lenses and dielectric prisms to be retrofitted into them.

To me this is like putting a new 3.0 turbo in a Carrera RS - sure performance increases but uniqueness / originality is lost. I think old classic binos should remain as is, as much of their value is their originality. All IMO of course and I can see why some want upgraded Dialyt's etc.

Well, Leica did as I had predicted:

Every [smart] brand will start making a "commemorative edition" or a "limited edition" or an "anniversary edition" of an existing product once they realize they can no longer improve it or make a better product. It is a well-established marketing technique. Winchester markets some kind of "anniversary edition" of their Model 94 rifle every 2 or 3 year :) Leica is similar.. They don't know how to make any meaningful improvements in their existing products so they make red editions, Japan edition or Zagato editions ;)

It's sad actually sad to see my prediction has come true. Leading optical company is going backwards...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back