• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Hawk (1 Viewer)

AlexC

Aves en Los Ángeles
Opus Editor
I am really mad at myself for not getting better pictures of this hawk. If anyone can help, that'd be great. Taken in Southern CT about 2 weeks ago. First thought was a Buteo, but I have no idea.

Attachments

• unknown_015.jpg
    unknown_015.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 184
  • unknown_016.jpg
    unknown_016.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 193
This is a rather mundane guess, but I think it's a Red tail. The enlargement of the 2nd photo seems to show the patagial bar along the leading edge of the wings. Bill Thompson III in his new book,Identify Yourself has a nice note on this field mark at pp67-68. I could be seeing things, but guessing "Red Tail" is usually playing safe.

Yeah, that's what i figured it'd end up being. It was SO cool to see close up though - it was so close that I fumbled with my camera - that's why i don't have better pictures - i was so stunned that I messed up the aperture, then forgot to turn the camera on, and by then it was off somewhere and came back later but farther away.

I'm having a very hard time seeing the dark patagial and it doesn't look quite right for Red-tailed to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back