• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (32 Viewers)

Anyway I was about to say that I have been down the reserve to meet the trust re permit scheme.
Andy H as asked me to get a quote for a Sand martin bank to be installed at the Moors to the left of the east hide at the southern end of Amy's marsh scrape.
If anyone is a builder or visits Brandon we are looking at a marine plywood version the same as at Brandon. (could you PM if you have details on the cost of the Brandon bank)

On the birding front 2 Green Sands and 2 drake Teal at the Flashes.
A family party of whitethroat are around the bridge area at the Flashes.
The LRP chicks are now 20 days old.
not rare but 40+ rooks (is an exceptionally good total at Upton) were in the field behind the main flashes hide.

Management: I have cut the vegetation down immediately in front of the Hen Pool hide. There are now clear views into the muddy reed area in front, keep an open for that crake;)
B :)John

Here we go again8-P :t:
MB

When does the reserve close??

Is it open during the evening for non-members??

Cheers

The reserve is open all day from dawn to dusk. There's a Red-necked Phalarope on the flashes today. You can pay at the sailing centre if it's open or just carry on to the reserve and pay one of the wardens if and when you see one (we will be wearing badges)

Cheers,

Dave Walker

Definitely one for the scopes though - I was there this morning and it was too far for anything other than a record shot at 700mm. Heat haze is bad too. That said, it's closer than the one last year and you can see it pretty well.

Might go back later when the heat subsides.

Trust something interesting to drop in when I have no chance of popping over today.

I didn't have time today either - father's day and all that - but sometimes you've just gotta go :t:

Had about 30 minutes with the phalarope, bit of heat haze spoiled any chance of a good photo (not that I take good photos when there's nothing to spoil them :-O:-O) but views good at about 80 yards.

This is the fourth year in a row there has been a phalarope species at Upton, with all three seen in 2007 B :)

Almost makes up for a poor spring wader-wise ... but not quite.

Mike

What an obliging bird that phalarope is! It came on a Sunday, stayed all day (the afternoon views were good) and it was a female too, the more colourful form. Most of the visiting rarities seem to fly past overhead or stay for about ten minutes. Well done the phalarope.

Peter

I spent a nice hour watching the Red-necked Phalarope this afternoon and a had excellent views through scope. Watched it on the water doing what Phalaropes do and on a patch of mud. Nice to see it briefly in flight or occassionally stretching its wings. Interesting to compare the size of this bird alongside Black Headed Gull, Little Ring Plover and Avocet.

A great bird for Upton. How many records of this species have there been at Upton?

Dean

Happy Birding:t:

Last edited:
A great bird for Upton. Is this the 6th or 7th record for Upton?

Dean

Happy Birding:t:

According to the reports, it's the 6th - as follows:

08/07/1972 Ad Fem Moors
06 -07/06/1989 Ad Fem Flashes
25/05/1999 Ad Fem Flashes
16/06/2007 Ad Fem Flashes
21/06/2009 (1st yr Fem?) Flashes
20/06/2010 Ad Fem Flashes

I think there's been some debate as to whether last year's bird was a male or a dull female - it was definitely duller than today's specimen.

Of the above, I've seen the most recent 4 birds. :t:

Last edited:
I would just like to say thanks to all the non Worcestershire Trust members who visited the reserve today, for their willingness to buy a permit not one problem and hope to get you back with an even rarer bird in the Autumn. All money raised will go to the up-keep of Upton. Hope you enjoyed your visit.
B :)john

It was also nice to see a lot of Faces from the old days from all over the Midlands:t:

Last edited:
The Phalarope was still present at 9.10pm.
Other birds seen at the Flashes:
Avocet 12 (3 juvs)
LRP 13 (3 juvs - 2 home grown and 1 from elsewhere)
Green Sands 4
Oystercatcher 3
Lapwing 18
Curlew 7
Teal 3, Shelduck pr,
2 Lesser Whitethroats singing
plus the breeding species

Last edited:
I have a history with Phaleropes and it's not good. No sign of yesterday's Red-neck at the Flashes but there were 4 Green Sandpipers feeding on the far bank and mud flats.
On the way around the sailing pool I was confronted by one of the Sailing Centre staff who asked if I'd parked in the car park. I had and I told him so. Apparently there's a big regatta planned today and anyone parking in the usual place risks getting parked in all day!
I duly briefed everyone I saw about the reserve and the occupants of the Flashes hides.
Wardens - There is evidence of unauthorised egress/access from the masts field over the fence immediately behind the Hens Pool hide (grass flattened both sides of the fence).
On the birding front there were the usual passerines about, including a very vocal Greenfinch. But I saw something that I'd not noticed before... I've seen Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers fly-catching, but I'd never seen a Sedge Warbler doing it and he was pretty useful too! I fully expect to be told by the more experienced birders that this behaviour is common-place.
The light was a great help with photography today. Here are a couple of shots...

Attachments

• Greenfinch1.jpg
    Greenfinch1.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Sedge W1.jpg
    Sedge W1.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Sedge W2.jpg
    Sedge W2.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 71
Hi Sy
you were conspicuous by your absence yesterday, But we did know you have already seen RNP at upton

there was a lot of educational?? activity at the centre yesterday lots of kids groups etc. Mind you their car park and facilities were well used by the RNP visitors as well. So maybe the talk of a regatta was a reaction to yesterday.
Where there a lot of cars in the car park I know they do have weekday events. But they don't normally tell us.

Re flycatching most species will at some stage indulge in such activity. I've even seen house sparrow catching damselflies and hoverflies in flight.

Hows your mincies.;)

will email you re conversation with Ferg

...But we did know you have already seen RNP at upton...

No need for that, at all! ;)

... Re flycatching most species will at some stage indulge in such activity. I've even seen house sparrow catching damselflies and hoverflies in flight.

I didn't realise that fly-catching was so common - I'm still chuffed that I managed to catch it happening though (albeit not quite sharply).

... Hows your mincies.;)

The old mince pies are awaiting another style of lens that is on order (the first set didn't fit!) and should arrive sometime this week, thanks mate.

... will email you re conversation with Ferg

I'll look forward to it. Actually, I'm off all week so I might see him as I plan to try to get some lifer pictures of the Pied Flycatchers in his 'garden'.

Interestingly the red necked phalarope of last year also appeared on Fathers Day.
Now as well as my two Daughters I would like to see that third young lady
every Fathers Day - that's what you call Daddy's little girls.
So next year Lads be sure to be at upton on the 19th June and beat Dave Jackson to it, he found these last two. Put it in your Diaries ;)

I wont be there though my eldest Daughter gets married that weekend.B :)B :)
John

Last edited:
I would just like to say thanks to all the non Worcestershire Trust members who visited the reserve today, for their willingness to buy a permit not one problem and hope to get you back with an even rarer bird in the Autumn. All money raised will go to the up-keep of Upton. Hope you enjoyed your visit.
B :)john

It was also nice to see a lot of Faces from the old days from all over the Midlands:t:

And if it was you checking passes etc then thanks a lot for your warm welcome and also thanks to those in the hide who were all very friendly - It was great to be surrounded by such enthusiasm for what was a cracking bird.....Is Upton better than Brandon tho? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back