• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (1 Viewer)

Hi Sprosser13. Turnstone are fairly common in winter along the coast of Mallorca. Still nice birds to see, Son Real is a reliable site. I usually see them along the coast east of Palma and at Colonia Sant Jordi.
Martin, thanks for the Ibis information, I have seen various records over the years but I believe they have always been treated as escapes.
Bluechaffinch. Thanks for the information, quite a few botanists come to the Island so many readers of this thread are interested in plants, moths and insects. We are all still learning about the wildlife of Mallorca so all contributions are very welcome.
Our trip in the USA is going well with lots of new and exciting birds but I am still missing Mallorca. Reading this thread has made me feel very lucky to live there.
Many thanks to all for your contributions, much appreciated. Mike

Hi Sprosser13. Turnstone are fairly common in winter along the coast of Mallorca. Still nice birds to see, Son Real is a reliable site. I usually see them along the coast east of Palma and at Colonia Sant Jordi.
Martin, thanks for the Ibis information, I have seen various records over the years but I believe they have always been treated as escapes.
Bluechaffinch. Thanks for the information, quite a few botanists come to the Island so many readers of this thread are interested in plants, moths and insects. We are all still learning about the wildlife of Mallorca so all contributions are very welcome.
Our trip in the USA is going well with lots of new and exciting birds but I am still missing Mallorca. Reading this thread has made me feel very lucky to live there.
Many thanks to all for your contributions, much appreciated. Mike

Cheers Mike, thought that might be the case, just thought it looked a bit out of place sat among Kentish Plovers! ;)

These may be birds that have been around for some years. The 2011 report gives the following records: s’Albufera, 2 examples on 7 February and 3 examples on 20 October. If I remember rightly, there were 2 different subspecies, suggesting a captive origin for the birds. There don't appear to be any records for 2012, 2013 or 2015.

Martin

Hi Martin, I have records for a single bird in 2007 & 2008 at the end of April and the end of May respectively. Here is a digiscoped photo from 2007.

Attachments

• Sacred Ibis_N6414.jpg
    Sacred Ibis_N6414.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 76
There have been small numbers of Sacred Ibis apparently wandering around Spain and Portugal the last years - locally where I live we've seen as many as 6 birds together. Maybe the Mallorca birds are part of these? Originally though I think its likely that they came from the large feral colony on the west coast of France that has caused serious damage to heronies there, like egg and chick eating - I think they were to be culled...?

Anyway many worry about them and although they are a bizzare sight, they're not completely welcomed due to worries of establishing in other heronries. I remember one in Coto Doñana a while back that worried some reserve staff there.....

I always look forward to the Great Reed Warbler returning to the pool by the Observation Mound at Albufera. I assume it's the same bird that returns year after year.
I noticed that the Marsh Sandpiper that was recently at Albufera had a slightly upturned bill, similar to the Greenshank, and it's interesting to see the difference in size shown in this photo.

Attachments

• Great Reed Warbler_5697.jpg
    Great Reed Warbler_5697.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Greenshank_5567.jpg
    Greenshank_5567.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 92
Hi Martin, I have records for a single bird in 2007 & 2008 at the end of April and the end of May respectively. Here is a digiscoped photo from 2007.

Hi Clive
Thanks for that. I've been doing a bit more reading and the first record for Mallorca was in 1999 - a bird of unknown origin (Aredeola 2001. 48: 117-136). One was also found in Menorca in 2006 (Birds of the Iberian Peninsula p. 172).
The first sighting in Spain was in 1994 and annually since 1997. Barcelona zoo has free-flying breeding birds and there have been other introductions of free-flying birds.

Braved the hordes today at Formentor (just what is the appeal of cycling up mountains in black lycra???). A moustachioed falcon on the cliffs at km 16 gave me a brief heart flutter before revealing itself as a smart peregrine. Also two BRT song flighting there.

A short stop at Cala Figuero had more BRT plus a heard only Balearic warbler in song.

Braved the hordes today at Formentor (just what is the appeal of cycling up mountains in black lycra???). A moustachioed falcon on the cliffs at km 16 gave me a brief heart flutter before revealing itself as a smart peregrine. Also two BRT song flighting there.

A short stop at Cala Figuero had more BRT plus a heard only Balearic warbler in song.

I'm hoping to be able to get Eleonora's falcon when I'm there in May!

I wish you good luck! I fear I'm too early and with only two full days left here my chances are next to zero. A bogey bird for me, but it means I'll have to search another time.

Heading to Salobrar de Campos and Es Trenc tomorrow so hopefully can bag another bogey bird with ST lark...

We saw a peregrine on the cliffs near there too at the end of last week - had the same experience!!

Spotted Crake

Have had two sightings of a Spotted Crake at C'an Cuarassa in the last week, the second one this evening. In the pool on the left halfway along the path which runs parallel to the main coast road (ie, the pool that doesn't have screening and the observation hide). Both times it was to the left of the pool. The water is gradually drying up there, but there's a frothy patch near the reedbeds to the left and it was lurking around there for quite a while both times. Also heard it calling two mornings ago in the same area. Had a Snipe there too, as well as at least ten Yellow Wagtails and the usual LRP's, Common Sandpiper and Stilts.

Albufera tomorrow again :)

hello all

sadly now back from Mallorca although weather in Bournemouth today wasnt too dissimilar ( if 10C colder!) -last Mallorcan bird as I left apartment at 4am was Stone Curlew calling, so nice end. Attached shot of Sacred Ibis and a really nice Little Bittern from Albufera.

back before too long I hope . Best wishes to all on this thread - Chris

Attachments

• MA2 Sacred Ibis.jpg
    MA2 Sacred Ibis.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 90
  • MA3 LittleBittLR.jpg
    MA3 LittleBittLR.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 75
Hi Bluechaffinch, the Flamingoes will still be there, some birds stay all summer every year and I was told by Steve that they attempted breeding at least once.
The birds peak in the autumn with several hundred in most years but there will still be quite a few to welcome you there.
They can be seen from the road to Es Trenc beach but are better viewed from Eddie's Track on the other side, park at hotel fontsanta. Good luck, Mike

Hi Bluechaffinch, the Flamingoes will still be there, some birds stay all summer every year and I was told by Steve that they attempted breeding at least once.
The birds peak in the autumn with several hundred in most years but there will still be quite a few to welcome you there.
They can be seen from the road to Es Trenc beach but are better viewed from Eddie's Track on the other side, park at hotel fontsanta. Good luck, Mike

Hi mike, regarding the path from the hotel i noticed wildlife information boards but there fenced off from the path from the hotel, how do you gain access to these information boards and if you jump the rope will someone come and turf you off the site? im guessing it has something to do with the salt shop?

Hi Craig, yes, exactly that, if you jump the rope a geezer runs over and is none too polite either.
The roped off area is private and there are guided tours run by the salt shop. I met one of the guides some time ago, a really lovely German lass who said she agreed with me that the groups disturbed the Flamingoes which I complained about.
The tour was nine euros but I have not seen any groups recently so I don't know if they still offer them.
My advice is to stay the right side of the ropes, good luck, Mike

Lots of 'mingos today which thrilled my kids and father in law. Also RR swallow, two GB terns, four marsh harriers, plenty of greenshanks and three curlew. Two purple herons at Es Trenc lagoon.

Hi bluechaffinch, so glad you saw the Flamingos, they are super birds to see. Nice record of Red-rumped swallow and Gull-billed terns, there are never very many.
Salobrar is a great place for terns, it's just a question of being there on the right day. I have been there when terns filled the sky and yet other days when there are none.
It's a great place also for Collared Pratincole, I once saw seven together which is a very high number for Mallorca. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back