• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nearest Puffins to London ! (1 Viewer)

rjb25073

Richard B - newbie birder
Hi,
I rashly made the mistake of going Puffin hunting with my wife and failing miserably. Now everytime she see's one on Springwatch I know about it !

I was therefore wondering if anyone could recommend somewhere within day trip (perhaps overnight) distance of London where we might have a good chance.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Richard

Last edited:
London Birder said:
Dorset I imagine ...

thanks, definitely acheivable on a day trip.

Anyone know of any 'can't miss' locations ? I just searched the net and read about Durlston but it sounds like this is a small and decreasing colony and I will get shot if we travel all the way down and fail again.

cheers,
Richard

Portland Bill in Dorset is reliable, although there'se only a couple of pairs and you won't get them wandering round your feet; sat on the sea is more likely.

Absolutely Skomer, 20,000 there and they'll be, near enough, under your wife's feet ...Springwatch will become a time of 'oo, remember them'

I think Bempton might be your easiest 'can't miss' site. It's about 4 hrs from London by car or rail (Hull Trains: KX-Hull 3 hrs, Hull-Bempton village on Scarborough-bound train 1hr, but then you've got a 20 min walk to the cliffs).

I was there last weekend and you couldn't miss the puffins. You've probably got about 3 weeks before they clear off.

Take a long weekend in Edinburgh. ;)
Bass rock for Gannets & Isle of May (sail from Fife) for Puffins -65,000 pairs, also likely to see a pair of Bonxies that have taken up residence. Then on to Loch of the Lowes for Osprey.

Jos Stratford said:
Absolutely Skomer, 20,000 there and they'll be, near enough, under your wife's feet ...Springwatch will become a time of 'oo, remember them'
Seconded! Skomer is extremely impressive - Puffins everywhere. If you go early in the day, and land on the island, you'll have them round your feet in places - also plenty of Choughs. Or book an evening boat trip round the island (again, with Dale Sailing) - even more Puffins, if that's possible, plus rafts of Manxies, porpoises etc..........unforgettable.

In Dorset i've never actually seen them at Portland bill (although plenty of people do), but they are more reliable at Dancing Ledge, although the views are not amazing, especially if you don't have a scope. I think there are boat trips that might be better BUT I have to say nothing compares to the Skomer experience as other people have said!

Steve G said:
Take a long weekend in Edinburgh. ;)
Bass rock for Gannets & Isle of May (sail from Fife) for Puffins -65,000 pairs, also likely to see a pair of Bonxies that have taken up residence. Then on to Loch of the Lowes for Osprey.

Hi Steve,
Edinburgh's a bit far ! I used to live not far from Montrose so loch of the Lowes was a placed we visited quite regularly. It was about the time I started getting more interested in birding and I teally liked that area. It's only now I wish we'd made more of it at the time.

thanks for the suggestion,
Richard

thanks everyone, plenty of suggestions.

It looks like Skomer gets the votes. I'll admit to never having heard of it but it looks like its a place we should visit. Its also handy as my wife sometimes goes to Swansea on business so we could tie it up together.

Now my last question. When do the Puffins go back out to sea ? Do we need to be going before the end of July or could we push it out to August ? (ok 2 questions I know !).

Thanks again, this has to be one of the most helpful forums/sites on the web,
Richard

Richard,

Hi, Puffins like most Auks tend to be done by early July, though obviously you'll get a few pairs who've bred late still present to the end of July. After that you're not really going to see them on land in August a boat trip might turn up some juveniles with parents on open water. Personally I'd go tomorrow :)

Lee

rjb25073 said:
thanks everyone, plenty of suggestions.

It looks like Skomer gets the votes. I'll admit to never having heard of it but it looks like its a place we should visit. Its also handy as my wife sometimes goes to Swansea on business so we could tie it up together.

Now my last question. When do the Puffins go back out to sea ? Do we need to be going before the end of July or could we push it out to August ? (ok 2 questions I know !).

Thanks again, this has to be one of the most helpful forums/sites on the web,
Richard

I think Skomer is easily your best bet.

I would definately go before the end of July. Also you can stay overnight on Skomer (great for Manx Shearwaters coming into their nests), but with some good forward planning - as it gets very booked up. Try South and West Wales Wildlife Trust I think?

The boat will only sale on days when the wind direction and speed is favourable. When I was in Pembroke for a week a few years ago in early May, the boat only sailed on three days (weather was bad though).

If you do it for the weekend you can also try a Grassholm trip for the Gannet colony, or a trip around Ramsey Island with the RSPB boat. It would take some planning though.

Seabird colonies are one of the best wildlife spectacles the UK has to offer and well worth it.

Look out for the 'Skomer' Vole as well, a good place is around the information centre.

Have a good time.

GDK said:
I think Skomer is easily your best bet.

I would definately go before the end of July. Also you can stay overnight on Skomer (great for Manx Shearwaters coming into their nests), but with some good forward planning - as it gets very booked up. Try South and West Wales Wildlife Trust I think?

Not this year you can't - they are renovating the farmhouse, i.e. guest accommodation.

Just to let everyone know that we acted upon the advice and went to Skomer last Saturday. The weather held off just long enough and it was an excellent trip.

Jos Stratford said:

I think you hit the nail on the head Jos ! We are already planning next years trip and aim to try and stay overnght to see the Shearwaters.

I also saw my first Chough (good views at Stackpole) and got some decent photos of Puffin (of course), a skylark with caterpillar, meadow pipit and Razorbill. I'll post some later in the week for those who are interested.

Other sightings on Skomer inlcuded LBB gull, GBB gull, Raven, Wheatear, Little owl, Guillemot and Chough.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions,
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back