• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High Desert Sparrow, western US (1 Viewer)

Gary Clark

I posted this bird in the gallery, but a member disagreed with the ID. I believe he may well be right. I have a really hard time with these sparrows, and so I thought I'd toss it out for voting.

He is perched in a high desert environment, next to the outflow of a spring. Location is extreme northern Nevada, at around 9000' elevation.

Thanks!

Attachments

• d07_0601.jpg
    d07_0601.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 105
  • d07_0602.jpg
    d07_0602.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 97
I believe the bird is a Song Sparrow. Granted the streaking is not quite as heavy as that normally seen on the Song Sparrow, but this is variable. Song Sparrows sometimes show that buffy coloration on the breast. The grayish face and buffy color near the "moustache" is, I believe, another characteristic of the Song Sparrow.

I still think this is a Lincolns Sparrow . The raised crest is very characteristic , the buffy chest area and grey face also dis-count a Song Sparrow to me anyway ...

Here's a Lincolns from my backyard for comparison

Attachments

• LincolnsSparrow2-101007.jpg
    LincolnsSparrow2-101007.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Edit: upon further review I take back everything I said in this post before. Nomdeploom and nikovich, your birds are Lincoln's, the one I posted below is a Song Sparrow. Buffy chest, thinner streaks and the crest appear to be diagnostic for Lincoln's.

Attachments

• Song Sparrow-s.jpg
    Song Sparrow-s.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
All the Lincoln's Sparrows I have seen (including the ones we are currently banding) show a very distinct orangish/buffy coloration on the breast. Neither of the photos by the OP show this coloration to extent I would expect for a Lincoln's Sparrow.

As I stated before, some of the Song Sparrows do tend to show a slight buffy coloration on the breast but never to the extent of the Lincoln's.

Below is a photo of Lincoln's which we recently banded.

Attachments

• Sparrow 1 Lincoln's.jpg
    Sparrow 1 Lincoln's.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 78
Larry, look at the cheek patch just under they eye, though. On your bird it's light grey like the rest of its face, as it is on nomdeploom's and on nikovich's. On my bird it's darker. Maybe I'm exaggerating here but the face of nomdeploom's bird just doesn't look right for a Song Sparrow.

I have been looking more closely at "cheek patches" on both species and I feel that this in itself may not be a realiable field mark for either species.

Here is a photo of a Song Sparrow "pulled off the internet" which shows a light, "same color as the rest of the face" pattern.

Attachments

• song sparrow.JPG
    song sparrow.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 66
Jan, sometimes they do get mis-labeled, don't they!

The "what's this?" reference in your post above is most certainly a Song Sparrow! (But it is labeled as a Lincoln's Sparrow.)

Jan said:
Both are Lincoln´s Sparrow. Note the thin streaks on the flanks and breast, breast buffish in image 1, the thin malar, greyish face and buff submoustachial stripe. The dark central breast spot is also a character of Lincoln´s.

However, both Lincoln's and Song sparrows may show buffish breast (much more noticeable on a Lincoln's), a malar stripe (generally more noticeable on a Song), grayish faces (both) and buff submoustachial stripe (both, sometimes). The dark central breast spot can usually be seen on both (generally much more noticeable on the Song Sparrow).

I'm also in the lincoln camp. The fine streaking and to me substantial buffiness on the malar and ending suddenly on the breast confirms lincoln. I darkened the first picture (no colour alteration) and the buff is very real.

Scott

Last edited:
Lincoln's for me. The raised crest, the buff wash on the breast with no real breast spot, say Lincoln's to me. Albeit a washed out looking photograph.

And the votes are in . . . .

Thanks to all for the help! The voting seems strongly for a Lincoln's sparrow. I had originally called it a Vesper Sparrow in my gallery posting, so this is a big surprise, and tells me I have a long ways to go in distinguishing these similar sparrows. Nikovitch from Saskatoon indicated that the raised crest is diagnostic of Lincoln's, and it was certainly noticeable in this individual. Not only that, it gives me a new species! ;)

I look at the head. Song Sparrow seem to me to have a couple of shades of brown, near-black, and white. Lincoln's has a nice contrasting buffy submoustachial stripe, thin and less triangular malar stripe, a grayer face and nape, and a finely flecked reddish crown stripe.
Another thing I learned recently was that on some Lincoln's, it appears like the only true white areas on the body are the belly (variable) and the throat. On Song, it appears very white in many areas, with thick brown streaks all over the place.

Lincoln's for me.

I'm also in the lincoln camp. The fine streaking and to me substantial buffiness on the malar and ending suddenly on the breast confirms lincoln. I darkened the first picture (no colour alteration) and the buff is very real.

Scott

Scott you darkened, I lightened (no color alteration) and OP's original photo

Attachments

• darkened.JPG
    darkened.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 51
  • lightened.jpg
    lightened.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 49
  • OP's photo.JPG
    OP's photo.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 45
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back