Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 6th June 2013, 15:46   #1
Nukkle Dragger

Identify this sleeping bird?

Last night, after dark, I was outside and noticed a shadow of something on the roof of my car... Further investigation turned up this little fellow...

He was sound asleep, and we were able to approach within two feet and take flash photos without waking him.

He's a little bit of a challenge to figure out, as his head is not visible (tucked under) and his feathers were all fluffed for warmth. Overall, he was maybe slightly larger than a baseball in his sleeping configuration. The photos are good close-ups, tho.

No idea if he was an adult or youngster, and can't say anything about his song or behavior, other than sleeping out in the open like that.

We found it odd that he was sleeping so soundly right out in the open like that, but he was still there when we went to bed, and was gone this morning, leaving his "calling card" on the roof of the car.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what this is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000610a.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	340.0 KB
ID:	446853  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000611a.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	446854  
Old Thursday 6th June 2013, 16:08   #2
birdboybowley
BF Supporter 2018

Welcome to BF, ND

I would guess at a young American Robin....never easy without the head!
As to his parting gift, I suppose birds have never heard the saying 'Don't sh*t where you sleep'.....

Also, if you have any more id queries, stick them in the Bird Identification Q & A section as lots more people will see your posts

Cheers
Ads

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 6th June 2013, 16:26   #3
Nukkle Dragger

Thanks BirdBoy - now that I know what to look for, I've found other photos that would confirm your guess - the mottled breast with orange around the edges seems to be the clincher, plus the fact that we have scads of Robins in the neighborhood.

Anyone have any ideas why he'd be sleeping out in the open like that? I've never seen that before... Did Mom and Dad kick him out, and with the economy the way it is, can't afford his own place? :-)
Old Thursday 6th June 2013, 16:48   #4
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukkle Dragger View Post
Thanks BirdBoy - now that I know what to look for, I've found other photos that would confirm your guess - the mottled breast with orange around the edges seems to be the clincher, plus the fact that we have scads of Robins in the neighborhood.

Anyone have any ideas why he'd be sleeping out in the open like that? I've never seen that before... Did Mom and Dad kick him out, and with the economy the way it is, can't afford his own place? :-)
The parents don't kick them out of the nest per say. The fledglings come out of the nest even though they are not yet ready to fly. This bird should be flying within a few days I'd guess. They are actually more vulnerable in the nest as babies, so as soon as they are fully fledged (meaning they are fully feathered and their muscles are developed enough that they can fly very soon) they come out of the nest and usually try to stay hidden in a bush or some shelter (car roof is a bit odd lol). Their bodies are also able to thermoregulate (create their own heat) at this point. When in the nest as babies the parents keep them warm. When they are out of the nest the parents keep an eye on them from a distance and continue to bring them food and feed them. This bird was not abandoned...he or she is just getting used to being out of the nest and will fly soon ! :)

Last edited by Gilmore Girl : Thursday 6th June 2013 at 17:20.

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: