• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European Bird Guides (1 Viewer)

Gruff Dodd

Hi

Anyone have contact details for any pro bird guides in any of the following places?:

Southern Sweden
Southern Finland
Czech Republic
Slovakia

Thanks in advance.

European bird guides

Gruff Dodd said:
Hi

Anyone have contact details for any pro bird guides in any of the following places?:

Southern Sweden
Southern Finland
Czech Republic
Slovakia

Thanks in advance.

I must admit that I don't know what makes a bird guide a "pro" bird guide, sorry, but I would go for a general European bird guide. Thus, when I went to the Czech Republic (Prague & Kutna Hora) in Feb. 2004 for what was, admittedly, a boozy trip, I used the Collins Pocket Guide to Birds of Britain & Europe with North Africa & the Middle East by Heinzel, Fitter & Parslow. The river in the middle of Prague was quite good for commoner species of birds. I even saw a kingfisher at Slovansky ostrov. Some of the others on the trip saw a middle spotted woodpecker by Prague Castle, which I missed, as I doing the sights in the Old and New Town. I remember Prague as being a good place for jays, but we don't have them here in the Isle of Man.
Allen

Pro guides

Tim Allwood said:
Gruff means 'people' guides... not book guides...

Tim

Thanks, Tim! Thanks for your explanation.
If there are any "pro" guides out there for Patagonia, I am keen to go there next year. Having been no further than Prague and the Canaries before last month, I have now been to Australia with my 2 teenagers, and am now bitten by the "bug," but not the "holidays with offspring" bug - I had enough of that when they were younger! All I got in Australia (well, 90% of the time) was "Dad's spending all his time birdwatching," a terrible misrepresentation! If there are birds about, I have a look at them!
Allen

Gruff,

try contacting Saker Tours at www.sakertour.hu I used them a few years ago in Hungary and Slovakia. I don't know how they operate now but they had an excellent Slovakian guide called Bohumil Muhren who found me all the local specialities, i.e Three-toed, and Grey Headed Woodpecker, Wallcreeper and Tengmalms Owl. we dipped on Pygmy Owl, but not for lack of trying - and we heard them often!

Darrell

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back