• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow bellied bird (1 Viewer)

Runestone

Can anyone help me ID a bird I saw tonight please? I doubt it is anything special but I cant find it in any of my books. I am a novice at this so please excuse me if I am missing the glaringly obvious.

I saw it in a tree at Fairlop Waters Country Park in Hainault Essex. Some kind of spruce tree, I am no botanist (not a very good ornathologist either it seems!)
Sparrow sized
Yellow belly with a plain back of a browny sort of colour. No pattern to it.
There was a dark stripe through its eye.

I looked in my book and found a Wood Warbler but that sounded a bit uncommon from what I read and I dont remember seeing a white underbelly, just yellow. It wasnt a Greenfinch because I know what they look like.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your replies. I am still unsure what it was I saw. I dont think it was a yellowhammer because the back was one plain colour. It looked rather like the picture in the book of a willow warbler but I think what I saw was larger than described. Thats why I thought perhaps a Wood Warbler. I will just have to go there again and see if I can see him a second time (any excuse to go birding....)

Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back