• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Miami International Airport, ideas for mad dash? (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Going to have the pleasure of five hours at Miami International later this year. Admittedly, five hours is not much - minus an hour to clear the airport and 90 minutes to check in again, that leaves me 2.5 hours, must be enough to go zooming off somewhere.

Any ideas? So far, the best option seems to be the residential suburbs just north of the airport full of exotic parrots and the like, but open to any other suggestions.

Last edited:
Jos

Be very careful - I reckon on a 3 hour international check in at MIA. I missed a flight to Grand Cayman last year with 2.5 hours to check in. Not sure what there is that close to MIA - Everglades, Three Lakes etc are all too far

cheers, alan

Jos

Be very careful - I reckon on a 3 hour international check in at MIA. I missed a flight to Grand Cayman last year with 2.5 hours to check in. Not sure what there is that close to MIA - Everglades, Three Lakes etc are all too far

cheers, alan

Oo er! Considered the risk of missing the flight, but it's the homeward bound leg, so not too worried if I do (obviously it would be nice not to though). Maybe I'll allow two hours to check in, but that's still two hours - I think the parrot tour is my best bet - checked the locality, it's literally just beyond the airport boundaries.

Jeepers, these Miami folk have lost lots of parrots! All resident in Miami Spring - Monk, Yellow-chevroned, Blue-crowned, Green, Mitred, Scarlet-fronted, Red-masked, Crimson-fronted, White-eyed and Dusky-headed Parakeets; Blue-fronted, Orange-winged, Red-crowned and Yellow-crowned Parrots

Last edited:
I was in a similar situation a few years back and just wandered out of the terminal and around the airport car park. This being March or April, there were migrants about, and that is still the only place I've seen Worm-eating and Prarie Warblers as well as Chuck Will's Widow. Not sure what the security situation would be like now though.

I'd second Alan's caution about check-in times - MIA has cramped, chaotic and congested facilities. With a layover of that duration, I wouldn't venture further than Miami Springs.

Richard

Keep your eyes on the sky, all sorts of stuff flies over Miami. During our admittedly longer stopover last March we went out for a leisurely lunch at a shopping mall a few miles north (some small lakes by the car parks were productive) then we headed south on the Keys highway, for a while then east, north, and then west back into Miami. Saw Wood Stork, and Swallow-tailed Kite over the town, and some unidentified hirundines.
Still failed to find Burrowing Owl though!

Jon

Definantly an interesting array of exotics for you to see in Miami.
I was there today fishing along nasty canals filled with invasive fish like Snakeheads, Mayan Cichlids, and Peacock Bass and I identified: Eurasian Collared dove, European Starling, Monk Parakeet, Muscovy duck, and what I believe was a Black-hooded parakeet as the exotics. Of course I also saw Rock Pigeons. For the native stuff I saw Wood Storks, White Ibis, Mourning Doves, Northern Mockingbirds, Northern Cardinals, Blue Jays, Grackles, Green Herons, Great Blue Herons, Cattle Egrets, Mottled Ducks, Loggerhead Shrike and a few others im probably forgeting just along the banks of canals and retention ponds.

Hope you have a good birding experience in Miami.

Nothing close enough to Miami International is worth missing a flight over. As others have stated, Miami International is congested. The parrots and parakeets are highly unpredictable and sporadic, with most of the species diversity being observed at their roosting sites at dawn or dusk.

Depending on what time of the year you will be visiting, it might be more productive to bird a park like A.D. Barnes, which is an excellent migrant trap but horrible during the summer months.

Carlos

I've been over to Miami several times in the last 6 months. There isn't really anything close enough to get to and back in 2.5 hours (I wouldn't risk it either, lots of roadworks at the moment and the traffic at times can be crazy) but Miami in general has lots of water ways etc so your bound to spot a few species flying around.

The Everglades is too far unfortunately and so vast that you'll need a much longer period to take it all in!

Worth going back though one day as Florida has a vast amount of locations that are worth a visit - I'm in the process of re-writing and adding some more images but I did an article on my blog about some of Florida's wildlife, you can read the article here.

:)

Last edited:
Nothing close enough to Miami International is worth missing a flight over.

It's only the flight home, so not quite so important ;)

I'll play it by ear, but many thanks to all who contributed to this thread, I nip over to Miami Springs if I think I have time.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back