• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worcester MA 4th March - (1 Viewer)

DrRich

I am on a whistle-stop visit to Worcester and will have two hours birding in Worcester on Friday morning before meetings. From google maps, I will be in Ramshorn Island Park or Regatta Point Park. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to be and what I might see (particularly birds more common in MA than from MD)?

Thanks.

any suggestions of where to be and what I might see (particularly birds more common in MA than from MD)?

There's not too much more common in Mass. that you're likely to see in just two hours. But birds more common in that general area than many parts of Maryland include Black-capped Chickadee, American Tree Sparrow, Common Redpoll, Rough-legged Hawk, Evening Grosbeak, and Pine Siskin. And more common than in southern and eastern MD is Common Raven. All have been seen in Worcester County recently according to eBird (click on species names to see locations and dates of sightings): http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?src=...&continue.x=32&continue.y=8&continue=Continue The only one I'd think your likely to see near Worcester itself is the Chickadee, w/ an outside chance of Am. Tree Sparrow. Though you never know.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Last edited:
Broad Meadow Brook is a Audubon reserve that's a ten minute drive from there. While I go there at least every other week, I don't know what you'd see that would be different than in MD. Some good birding around Wachussett Reservoir. Ice out may be a little further away than this Friday, it's a good spot for Common Loons when the ice is gone. Also, there's still a flock of Snow Buntings that are regularly seen at the airport, if you're into birding airport parking lots.....

Thanks both. Unfortunately I am flying to Boston and rushing from there. I shall cross my fingers for a chickadee and be happy at that!

I will also brush up on Common Redpoll, Rough-legged Hawk, Evening Grosbeak, and Pine Siskin, just in case! I have seen an AmTreeSp down here, but the others are all new territory. Thanks all.

I won't be around on Friday, but I may do a little drive by at the Reservoir on Thursday. I'll let you know what I find.

I didn't make it out there today because work had to be done. I did drive to Boston and back in the morning though and think that most of the water will still be frozen solid. There may be small areas of open water near where the Quinapoxet river flows in the reservoir (theres a aquaduct from the Quabin reservoir that also flows into the reservoir there), near the bridge in the causeway (Rte 140 and 12), and below the Clinton dam. A drive around the reservoir takes 15 to 20 minutes.

Earlier this winter there were 4 or 5 Bald Eagles around the reservoir. Not sure where they are now, or if they're still there. During my last jaunt there, two weeks ago, I didn't see any.

Saw a fair few birds in three different breaks (blue jays, WB nuthatches (not red as hoped), crows, several RT hawks, juncos, cardinals, WB sparrows, RB and downy woodpeckers, robins etc. ), but no additional new birds beyong the BCC.
Thanks all for your comments and help. I think the weather and frozen water were against me.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back