• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (73 Viewers)

Had a look round Fairburn Ings yesterday, highlights for me were good views of Bittern, a hunting Hobby, and the Spoonbills, pics attached (record shots only :) )

Attachments

• bittern.jpg
    bittern.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 140
  • hobby2.JPG
    hobby2.JPG
    647.8 KB · Views: 175
  • hobbyedited.jpg
    hobbyedited.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 148
  • spoon.JPG
    spoon.JPG
    305.8 KB · Views: 116
Anyone been to Timble Ings this spring? Any woodcock roding?
Not sure if you have tried Timble yet Keith but recent reports have given better sightings along with Nightjar just up the road at Stainburn Forest. The easiest access is from Norwood Lane car park between Beckwithshaw and Bland Hill,easy walk in to the cleared area.

Not sure if you have tried Timble yet Keith but recent reports have given better sightings along with Nightjar just up the road at Stainburn Forest. The easiest access is from Norwood Lane car park between Beckwithshaw and Bland Hill,easy walk in to the cleared area.

There are Nightjar at Timble this year as well, but extremely difficult to see due to the height of the trees in the plantation. I heard possibly 2 different birds on Sunday night around 10 p.m.

There are Nightjar at Timble this year as well, but extremely difficult to see due to the height of the trees in the plantation. I heard possibly 2 different birds on Sunday night around 10 p.m.
Thanks for that update,I'm always interested in any sightings in the area as it comes under our club,Nidderdale Birdwatchers,recording area.

Red Kite

Red kite seen this morning at 07:00 on Woolley edge on my way to work, first time I have seen one in this area, I guess with increasing numbers the spread is inevitable.
Regards
Mark.

Short notice I know but is anyone free to be a Hide Guide at the Leeds Birdfair tomorrow? Due to personal circumstances we're now short of people. The Birdfair runs from 09:30-16:00 and any contribution would be most welcome. Please PM me if you can.

My visits to Fairburn Ings have become increasingly scarce since my family ties with Yorkshire ended four years ago and so a visit this evening was planned to see the Spoonbills and to hopefully bump into my friend of 49 years Charlie Winn. Imagine my sadness when one of the RSPB girls had to tell ne that Charlie had passed away a couple of months ago. I was almost in tears, what a shock.

Charlie was the first birder I ever met, as a raw 14 year old back in 1968. He took me under his wing at Fairburn and had 'young 'un' signed up as a voluntary warden within two years: such an honour to attend wardens' meetings in the Wagon and Horses. He was my inspiration for the next few years until I left Tadcaster for good in 1976 and the sadly departed John Cudworth took over at Spurn.

If anyone can PM me with any details please do. Did Charlie live to know that Spoonbills had bred at his beloved Fairburn?

Steve

My visits to Fairburn Ings have become increasingly scarce since my family ties with Yorkshire ended four years ago and so a visit this evening was planned to see the Spoonbills and to hopefully bump into my friend of 49 years Charlie Winn. Imagine my sadness when one of the RSPB girls had to tell ne that Charlie had passed away a couple of months ago. I was almost in tears, what a shock.

Charlie was the first birder I ever met, as a raw 14 year old back in 1968. He took me under his wing at Fairburn and had 'young 'un' signed up as a voluntary warden within two years: such an honour to attend wardens' meetings in the Wagon and Horses. He was my inspiration for the next few years until I left Tadcaster for good in 1976 and the sadly departed John Cudworth took over at Spurn.

If anyone can PM me with any details please do. Did Charlie live to know that Spoonbills had bred at his beloved Fairburn?

Steve
It would have been nice if Charlie knew about the Spoonbills on his patch. I first met him down the bottom of Cut Lane long before I was aware of RSPB wardens as a species. It was people like Charlie that really impressed me with their knowledge of bird life.

Hi All,

I shall be spending four or five days in Huddersfield soon but I don't know the area at all,
any tips or info on good birding spots or reserves in the area would be much appreciated,
I will have transport so can travel

cheers

Can't think of anywhere immediate to Huddersfield but worth considering within roughly an hours drive are St Aidan's / Fairburn Ings close to Castleford - Old Moor and Potteric Carr close to Doncaster. If you don't mind a longer drive then North Cave Wetlands just off the M62 East of Goole is well worth a visit.

Just been contacted about possible female golden oriole sighting yesterday. Person described red beak and speckley breast.

The sighting was on the no through road to Hagg House Farm at the western edge of Askham Bryan village. O/S reference 542495 on the York/Selby map.

Can't think of anywhere immediate to Huddersfield but worth considering within roughly an hours drive are St Aidan's / Fairburn Ings close to Castleford - Old Moor and Potteric Carr close to Doncaster. If you don't mind a longer drive then North Cave Wetlands just off the M62 East of Goole is well worth a visit.

Thanks Keith :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back