• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2016 (1 Viewer)

So 412 + 284 = 696. What's the target again?

How many vagrant species typically hit the USA during the course of a year, and what's the highest total of these posted by a Big Year person? For that matter, what happens if you exclude vagrants in Alaska and its off-islands, as I guess many of these are non-twitchable whereas getting around the lower 48 is gruelling but doable?

I'm finding this one more interesting than Arjan's world listing for some reason.

John

So 412 + 284 = 696. What's the target again?

How many vagrant species typically hit the USA during the course of a year, and what's the highest total of these posted by a Big Year person?

John

Neil Hayward, 2013: 749 spp.

I've got 82 Code 3 birds listed for the US. He'll be doing quite a few pelagics later in the year I guess.

Yep - I think 750 is the target but I get 83 Code 3 species defined as follows:-

Code 3: Rare - Species that occur in very low numbers, but annually, in the ABA Checklist Area. This includes visitors and rare breeding residents.

15 seen so far:-
Western Spindalis
Clay-colored Thrush
White-collared Seedeater
Rufous-backed Robin
Rufous-capped Warbler
Ivory Gull
Sky Lark
Aplomado Falcon
Flame-colored Tanager
Brown Booby
American Flamingo
Shiny Cowbird
Steller's Eider
Common Pochard
Tufted Duck

68 left to chase:-
Taiga Bean-Goose
Tundra Bean-Goose
Whooper Swan
Spectacled Eider
Smew
Masked Duck
Short-tailed Albatross
Trindade Petrel
Murphy's Petrel
Bermuda Petrel
Hawaiian Petrel
Fea's Petrel
Cook's Petrel
Flesh-footed Shearwater
White-faced Storm-Petrel
Least Storm-Petrel
White-tailed Tropicbird
Red-billed Tropicbird
Masked Booby
Hook-billed Kite
Lesser Sand-Plover
Terek Sandpiper
Common Sandpiper
Gray-tailed Tattler
Common Greenshank
Black-tailed Godwit
Ruff
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper
Curlew Sandpiper
Temminck's Stint
Long-toed Stint
Red-necked Stint
Common Snipe
Great Skua
Long-billed Murrelet
Guadalupe Murrelet
Craveri's Murrelet
Black-headed Gull
Little Gull
Ross's Gull
Slaty-backed Gull
Black Noddy
Ruddy Ground-Dove
Common Cuckoo
Smooth-billed Ani
Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl
Buff-collared Nightjar
Green Violetear
Berylline Hummingbird
White-eared Hummingbird
Budgerigar
La Sagra's Flycatcher
Fork-tailed Flycatcher
Rose-throated Becard
Yellow-green Vireo
Brown Jay
Tamaulipas Crow
Gray-headed Chickadee
Black-capped Gnatcatcher
Siberian Rubythroat
Eyebrowed Thrush
White Wagtail
Olive-backed Pipit
Red-throated Pipit
Tropical Parula
Five-striped Sparrow
Rustic Bunting
Brambling

Of course, he should get a crack at a few more Category 4 and 5 species?

All the best

What about Black-capped Petrel? I thought it was annual from pelagics originating at cape Hatteras?

Niels

I don't think there is a ready list, unless North American Birds does something like that.

Picked up McKay's Bunting today, and now I think he is heading to Texas next for Blue Bunting and White-throated Thrush (if the flights clear that is...). BUT...there is a Kelp Gull in Los Angeles and now a Fieldfare in Newfoundland. So I wonder what will be the next leg? The Kodiak ramblings also make me wonder about staying power...

Also wondering

The Kodiak ramblings also make me wonder about staying power...

I hope you're wrong - Olaf's writing is quirky and entertaining and I enjoy the fact that he calls it like he sees it. He's also put in some serious miles already - and has grumbled about plenty of other stuff along the way.

For me it makes a nice contrast and more interesting reading over the consistently positive styles of Arjan and Noah - which I enjoy too - just not as much.

Cheers
Mike

Code 3: Rare - Species that occur in very low numbers, but annually, in the ABA Checklist Area. This includes visitors and rare breeding residents.
68 left to chase:-
Of those, Budgerigar (extirpated) is being de-listed, and I don't think Brown Jay or Tamaulipas Crow have been recorded in recent years and probably shouldn't still be Code 3...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back