• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European Nightjar calling by day (1 Viewer)

jurek

Hi,
On a recent trip to Georgia we had European Nightjar singing at the sunny midday from a patch of shrub and trees on a steppe. How unusual it is?

best,

I have heard one by day in Germany, but never in the Netherlands (where I lived in a good area for nightjars) so it does happen occasionally.

Not particularly unusual, I've heard it a couple of times this year already at Thursley and in the New Forest. Last year one at Arne in the car park sang almost daily during the day (helping us to locate it!) I've encountered it several times over the years - indeed I'd likely say almost whenever in suitable habitat during a sunny day.

John

Not particularly unusual, I've heard it a couple of times this year already at Thursley and in the New Forest. Last year one at Arne in the car park sang almost daily during the day (helping us to locate it!) I've encountered it several times over the years - indeed I'd likely say almost whenever in suitable habitat during a sunny day. John

I've heard them (more than one) in Wareham Forest during the day, and also occasionally in Thetford Forest and once near Little Fransham during a Cub Scout camp map-reading practical exercise!
MJB

I had one singing in the New Forest on Monday morning this week, despite the near gale force wind, low temperature and hard steady rain, usually I've only heard them in the daytime during sunny weather and manage to hear at least a couple every season during the day.

It is not uncommon for nocturnal insects to occasionally give calls and short song phrases randomly during the day. I have heard tawny owls give single calls during the day. Not nightjars, but I don't doubt it.

They studied Tengmalms here and one couple were quite vociferous - calling all day most days! The neighbouring couple were mainly nocturnal.

The parcs guy used to work where Tengmalms were more common - he said that Tengmalms would frequently call during rainy days.

I will go and double check but the study seemed to show that after the initial burst of calls after dark the Tengmalms was generally silent for the next hour of darkness. Same applied to morning where they went silent in the half hour leading to daybreak...

As if to proove a point Nightjar calling today near Lourdes, France.

We got to site about 10.00 then about 10.45 bird started calling. Pretty well for about 15mins then off and on until we left at 12.15.

Thanks a lot everybody, it is certainly more common than I thought. On the other hand I usually avoid Nightjar habitat by day otherwise. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back