• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (1 Viewer)

I say my first Dartford on the North coast last week. It popped out of the gorse within 3 feet of me and stopped for 20 secs. Kicking myself because I'd left the camera in the car!

Tell me about it!! last year the one time I didn't take my camera I had one sit up and preen in perfect light about 10 yards away for about 5 minutes :C

However, and wherever it was it is very good news that there are still a few about after the cold winter. :t: So thanks for those records Chris and Sprigo.

Jon

Tell me about it!! last year the one time I didn't take my camera I had one sit up and preen in perfect light about 10 yards away for about 5 minutes :C

However, and wherever it was it is very good news that there are still a few about after the cold winter. :t: So thanks for those records Chris and Sprigo.

Jon

Thanks Jon and everyone else who replied via PM's and on here, because of the breeding status of the bird I did'nt want to say to much for obvious reasons, I will pass the info on and the county recorder details when he returns from his hols.

Thanks again:t:

Chris.

www.westportlake.blogspot.com

Tamar whoopoe !!!!

Hi all,

my nephew called me to say he had seen a hoopoe at upper tamar today whilst fishing
anyone else heard if it has been reported by anyone else ???

Darryl

Last edited:
Getting bird info

I visit Devon regularly, parents in Exeter, holiday place in Lydford (west Dartmoor). I struggle to find out what birds are about. I have joined Devon Birds but there is very little up to date info there and Bird Forum is not giving me enough info. Is there a way of finding out what birds are around? I am a member of Herts and Bucks Yahoo birding groups and the info there is second to none but Devon birds Yahoo group has not taken off. In the hope that this does I have applied to join and if successful will become member number 2!

Do Devon birders have a 'underground' way of operating?

If people feel like joining Yahoo the details are:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/DevonBirds/join

Any advice would be very welcome.

I visit Devon regularly, parents in Exeter, holiday place in Lydford (west Dartmoor). I struggle to find out what birds are about. I have joined Devon Birds but there is very little up to date info there and Bird Forum is not giving me enough info. Is there a way of finding out what birds are around? I am a member of Herts and Bucks Yahoo birding groups and the info there is second to none but Devon birds Yahoo group has not taken off. In the hope that this does I have applied to join and if successful will become member number 2!

Hi Janel,

Try the following link:

http://www.wildlifeindevon.org.uk/pages/sightings.htm

Updated at least once a day, usually in the evenings. :t:

Terry

I have been informed that Phase 3 update of the Devon Birds website will hopefully include a forum and bird sighting page. The website is only monitored by one person at the moment and in order to post daily sightings, it will require volunteers to receive the information and to then forward the details to the webmaster. Devon Birds may soon be asking for volunteer "inputters"

Of course there is always:- www.birdguides.com

Join and then narrow your search down to South West England or even Devon and you will get all the latest sightings.

Last edited:
Ok I went to Tamar Lakes yesterday no Hoopoe no real suprise there then but plenty of Chiffchaffs the first Willow Warbler and two late male Goosander on Lower Tamar. Drove back via Hartland Quay Ice Cream pit stop for the Kids and half an hour for me watching a pair of Peregrines.

Ok I went to Tamar Lakes yesterday no Hoopoe no real suprise there then but plenty of Chiffchaffs the first Willow Warbler and two late male Goosander on Lower Tamar. Drove back via Hartland Quay Ice Cream pit stop for the Kids and half an hour for me watching a pair of Peregrines.

Not the most sensible thing to post!

Gos said:
Not the most sensible thing to post!

Why not? - there was a Hoopoe seen there a few days ago.

I don't think Gos is referring to the Hoopoe comment, more that Parttimer has posted a site for a much persecuted Schedule 1 species.

It may be that this particular site is well known, but as with the Dartfords mentioned recently the only responsible policy is to not post this sort of information on a forum or other website.

Sadly egging and worse is still widespread, with Devon having one of the worst county records for crimes against wild birds.

I don't think Gos is referring to the Hoopoe comment, more that Parttimer has posted a site for a much persecuted Schedule 1 species.

It may be that this particular site is well known, but as with the Dartfords mentioned recently the only responsible policy is to not post this sort of information on a forum or other website.

Sadly egging and worse is still widespread, with Devon having one of the worst county records for crimes against wild birds.
Thanks for that - that's fair enough but maybe if you 'birders' could speak in plain English and not make cryptic comments like 'Not the most sensible thing to post!' without any explanation as to exactly what part of the post he was referring to and why them we could all understand what you are getting at. That way I am sure you would help the cause a lot more.
Had I realised what he was referring to I would obviously not have made the post I did (BTW being a photographer rather than a birder I did not know that the bird I think you are referring to was a Schedule 1 species).
As far as the Devon section goes I will leave it to you 'birders' in the future.

Last edited:
Thanks for that - that's fair enough but maybe if you 'birders' could speak in plain English and not make cryptic comments like 'Not the most sensible thing to post!' without any explanation as to exactly what part of the post he was referring to and why them we could all understand what you are getting at. That way I am sure you would help the cause a lot more.
Had I realised what he was referring to I would obviously not have made the post I did (BTW being a photographer rather than a birder I did not know that the bird I think you are referring to was a Schedule 1 species).
As far as the Devon section goes I will leave it to you 'birders' in the future.

'Birder' or 'photographer' it is not in the interest of schedule 1 species to be advertised on this site especially at this time of the year. I know of at least one site last year where the chicks were taken prior to fledging. This was a site that was regulary featured on a local sightings website. Although these incidents are logged with Police there is very little that can be done as often no one is there to witness it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back