• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Michael Reichmann of Luminous landscape writes article on digiscoping. (1 Viewer)

Pretty interesting

Gave it a quick breeze through - makes a lot of sense to me as a beginning digisoper - will give it a real thorough read as soon as I get a chance.

Malc

Interesting pitch for the Vortex Razor from the website's sponsor (B&H).

I did like the Scope warranty

We will repair or replace your Vortex product for any reason at NO CHARGE TO YOU. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty:

* Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
* Fully transferable
* No warranty card to fill out
* No receipt needed to hang on to

If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you.

But B&H also offer the chance for you to give them $509.98 for 5-Year "best value" protection plan on top of that :-O

what an awfull article:D Think he needs to read up on telescopes.....

"One of the reasons not to use an astronomical scope for terrestrial use is that the image is upside-down. This is a non-issue for astronomy, but completely frustrating for terrestrial use."

nonsense... He may want to visit the astro forum here:p

what an awfull article:D Think he needs to read up on telescopes.....

"One of the reasons not to use an astronomical scope for terrestrial use is that the image is upside-down. This is a non-issue for astronomy, but completely frustrating for terrestrial use."

nonsense... He may want to visit the astro forum here:p

Honestly, I was under the same impression until I enquired in this forum. Turns out that this is true for fieldscopes but not for astro scopes ;)

One reason that catadioptic astro scopes are less suitable (but not entirely) are the low contrast, donut bokehs and shallow depth of field that are inherent characteristics of catadioptic scopes. Nonetheless, you will find plenty of acceptable, if not ouright excellent, photos shot with this setup in this forum.

The author labels Nikon scopes as mid-range. I certainly beg to differ. My family has the EDIII, ED78 and ED82 (all straight) and they routinely equal or even outperform Swarovkis and Carl Zeisses in clarity, resolution and brightness. My ED78 makes an excellent 'lens' to my Canon 600D with adapters, giving me reach that can normally be obtained with very expensive lenses.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back