• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birmingham City Centre (1 Viewer)

RSPB Midland Birders
Do you work in the city centre

We’re putting together a short video for our regional conference and we would like it if you, or any fellow member in the city-ish area would be happy to be filmed just saying a line from our Midlands vision plan. We’re going to tell the story of the Midlands and RSPB – and it will be shown to staff and volunteers.
We’re going to be looking to film this week and potentially next week – would you still be up for being filmed? You would just have to say this line to camera – “We are the people protecting the wildlife and green spaces…
If interested contact
[email protected]

Not in the City Centre but didnt want to start a new thread.......as I was leaving the M42 North on the Airport sliproad around 1am tonight a moving shadow flew in front of me and landed on the barrier to my right.....as I came alongside it turned and gave me a fantastic stare......a brill Tawny Owl.....1st wild one I have seen in colour...lol....only seen silhouettes before.

Last edited:
Not in the City Centre but didnt want to start a new thread.......as I was leaving the M42 North on the Airport sliproad around 1am tonight a moving shadow flew in front of me and landed on the barrier to my right.....as I came alongside it turned and gave me a fantastic stare......a brill Tawny Owl.....ist wild one I have seen in colour...lol....only seen silhouettes before.

Nice one Keith!

I thought it was time to check the Canal/River Rea by Fazeley Street.
Couldn't believe my luck when I turned the corner, walking along the canal and a Kingfisher flew from a barge to a perch over the canal. It sat there for a couple minutes and then flew off calling to the River Rea below. I could then hear it calling further up the Rea. It might be a couple years since I checked this location. Great!

Thirteen species in a 20 minute stroll along the canal from Brindleyplace and round the general area. Best were 2 Mistle Thrushes & a Redwing.

Willow warbler outside the Mailbox this evening. First time I've seen one in the city centre.

Attachments

• 40835063144_8140663ffb_c.jpg
    40835063144_8140663ffb_c.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 55
Upwards of 100 Lesser Black-backed Gulls loafing on the site of the cleared Wholesale Market - the most I have seen gathered together in the city centre. Will be keeping an eye on this site in forthcoming weeks.

Pair of Oystercatcher on Dartmouth Park Pool first thing and pair of Raven over Priory Woods towards the Albion ground mid morning
Good Birding YAMYAM

I checked the River Tame and Aston Reservoir, nothing of note. Along the River Rea from the Tame there was a Buzzard flying low. At Balsall Heath on the A435, approx 30 Starlings were gathering in a tree before sunset.

What looked like a family of 10+ Mistle Thrushes feeding off worms in the wet, sodden grass in front of the Big Peg in the JQ (around 1730 yesterday). Spooked by a LBBG and flew off. Is this a regular sight? No photos unfortunately.

What looked like a family of 10+ Mistle Thrushes feeding off worms in the wet, sodden grass in front of the Big Peg in the JQ (around 1730 yesterday). Spooked by a LBBG and flew off. Is this a regular sight? No photos unfortunately.

In previous years I have seen mistle thrush and GS woodpecker in Warstone Lane Cemetery and St. Paul's churchyard, both sites are very close to the Big Peg . I would guess that there could be one or two pairs of both species which have adapted to urban living .

The commonest thrush around Aston University and Millennium Point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back