• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Day Digi-Scoping! (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Well im just back from my first day of digi-scoping. I was only out for about 3 hours, but i guess 3 very informative hours at that.

I was at a coastal reserve in Merseyside, with strong gales blowing face on into the hide. Generally a bright day, but very, very cold.

Equipment i was using was a Swaro ST80HD and tripod and a CP4500 cam. Right from the beginning, i realised the battle i was going to have trying to steady the camera in my hands for the shot. I have no adapters at the moment.

Then, very quickly, i decided, chasing 'moving' birds with a scope and handheld digi-cam was gonna prove rather futile, not to mention very frustrating. So after giving up on trying to photograph Little Grebes, displaying male Goldeneye ducks and seemingly well anchored gulls on choppy water i focussed my attention on sleeping Teal ducks.......Aha, i thought, ive cracked it now!! Ten shots later, and i was still without a picture in focus.... :h?: My next subject was quite an obliging and friendly Robin. But even he decided he couldnt wait for me to steady my hands and repay his patience.
Im hoping, that the task of homing in on a bird, focussing the scope, then reaching for the digi-cam, focussing that through the eye piece of the scope, may be a lot easier on a much calmer day. Otherwise, even the steadiest of hands will struggle to get a positive result. Out of about 60 shots i took in the two and a half hours i was there, id say i came away with one that is only just about half decent. So i felt the disappointment that im sure many a beginner to digi-scoping has felt.
I do hope i can have more positive results on days that arent as windy. But im sure an adapter to enable me to attach my camera to the scope has to be my next serious purchase. I know a few from BF seem skilled enough to be able to make their own adapters. Ive been given a couple of ideas. Im open to any other suggestions as to how i can make my digi-scoping experience more productive.

Lessons i learned:

1) Choose birds/subjects that are beginner friendly. (trying to photograph a bird that keeps diving or just doesnt keep still, can dis-hearten a novice digi-scoper.......:flyaway:)
2) Have at least one spare battery for your digi-cam. I noticed as it was so cold, my fully charged Nikon battery run down in about 2 hours.
3) Be prepared to fill a memory card rather quickly. So keep spares available.
4) Take plenty of shots to increase the chance of a decent piccie. I took 60, which i reckon is probably not that many. I would say from those, only one shot was worth a second look. This is it:
5499Redshank_29_01_04-med.jpg

5) Keep swearing volume to a minimal, as subjects can soon be disturbed... :eek!: .... ;)
6) I need soooo much help and advice to develop my digi-scoping skills. Looking at the quality of pictures on this site, makes me wonder if i'll ever be able to take a decent digi-scoped picture. Please, if you can help me identify which way to go from here then PLEASE do......Im all ears!!
7) Enjoy the experience. Even after feeling it didnt go as planned, i must admit, i did enjoy the experience and can see its potential.

Feel free to offer any words of wisdom to this slightly dejected, but more determined, digi-scoper......:cool:.... :t:

thanks,

tracker

Hi Tracker,

Have to say that your picture of the Redshank is pretty good - I think anything that is immediately recognisable should be counted as a success - in the early days at least....

I am a bit of a novice myself.... got my first scope about 4 months ago and wasn't long before I was tempted to hold my Fuji digicam up against the eyepiece and snap away...

The camera was pretty unsuitable for digi-scoping but I did get some half-decent results as long as you had obliging subjects/weather and you weren't too demanding of the results!

Today I became the proud owner of a CP4500 and adapter (and various other bits and bobs of pretty mixed usefulness) and have entered a whole new world of digi-scoping. To have a camera that attaches to the scope and a cable shutter release eliminates camera shake and makes a BIG difference to sharpness. I would recommend these as essential items to have.

Not to say that it is all plain sailing though - you still suffer from soft images if using too much zoom, and you still need an obliging subject and reasonable light - but it's a good deal easier than hand-holding!!

As Elizabeth says - keep at it!!

Good Luck.... Ruby

PS - This is about the best I managed today - Bit better than my usual indifferent efforts, but still some way to go, I fancy

Attachments

• Robin - Garden - 29th January 2004.JPG
    Robin - Garden - 29th January 2004.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 256
Hi Tracker

In addition to using Macro mode,try not to zoom right up to the maximum(f3.6-f4.0)this will let in more light giving a faster shutter speed.Plus not only will an adapter help in stopping blurred shots I would recommend you use a mechanical shutter release cable & lastly try to keep your tripod nice & low & if possible dont extend the centre column.Hope this helps.
Regards Steve.

Ruby - I like the robin pic.

I've realised that I am easy to please when viewing the Gallery - not too fussed about "rule of thirds" and technical stuff. One thing that really makes me like a picture is when it is in an (apparently) natural setting. I'm probably being fooled all along here - but who cares if it looks good to my eye? Not me!

Hi Tracker,

Sounds like all good advice to me both yours and that given in the replies.

With ducks, try to get a photo of them on land rather than in the water as that's an extra element of movement you could do without when starting off. I found Mallards both colourful and obliging to practice on. Other than that it's just practice, practice, practice and getting a feel for what you are doing. It's very important though to get the camera set up right before setting out. AndyB's settings tips are a very good starting of point. I'd agree that use no more than about two thirds camera zoom and less if you can with out vignetting becoming too much of a problems as it helps with faster shutter speeds. Likewise with the scope 20-30x zoom gives more consistent results. Also always try for the sun to be over you left or right shoulder ie. behind you even on cloudy days as it makes a big difference to the results.

BTW that's a pretty good result of the Redshank especially considering you're hand holding. An adapter is well worth the money, likewise a remote cable shutter release and bracket, not to mention a LCD magnifier/viewer. I did the same thing last weekend - went out with just one battery and soon regretted it. As you say the cold runs them down pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Really appreciate all this input, thanks so much everyone.

tarves57, that seems quite a good suggestion, the macro setting, for faster focussing. I'll give that a try. So what do i do, just change the settings to Macro? Thanks.

Ruby, i only got my CP4500 yesterday, and its my first digital camera. As you point out, the use of a cable release must make so much difference. I'll have a look round for those little items. I think i feel a list coming on.....:scribe:By the way, i love your Robin piccie too.
Anyone know a good dealer that supplies these 'small' items, such as cable release, hoods, LCD viewer magnifiers etc?

I was rather fortunate to have the sun behind me most of the day, Ian, as you suggest. That Redshank just made things awkward for me.....but i stuck with it....lol

So many great suggestions. Im like a sponge with all this stuff. Keep it coming, please!!

Thanks for your words of encouragement, too,

much appreciated,

tracker..... :t:

Last edited:
Hi Tracker,

I purchased a 'job lot' from EagleEye Optics.... I seem to recall that quite a few people have used their stuff, but it's by no means the only supplier...

This consisted of :-

1. Adapter (essential in my view)
2. Wing Bracket (screws into tripod hole and holds other gadgets)
3. Bracket for holding cable release (need one of those)
4. Cable Release
5. Viewer magnifier (haven't tried this outside in bright sunshine yet, but didn't help me much with better focusing inside)
6. Scope sight thingy (idea being that with all this other stuff strapped to your scope - you can't see what you're pointing it at any more. Have to say, early tests left me rather underwhelmed!)

I think it works out a bit cheaper buying it all together (but still £200!!!) - and you can get it all over and done with in one go - but another option would be to cherry-pick the bits that you really need from various different suppliers.

There's quite a few threads in Andy's Digiscoping Forum that might be of help...

Best of luck.....

Rgds.... Ruby

Thanks Brian - it's nice for me to have a photo that I was a bit proud of (for a change)

Mind you - the Robin was only about 30' away, and was obliging enough to sit there in the sunshine for about 2 minutes while I got myself sorted out.

'Looking forward' to having a go out in the field in rather more testing conditions....

Hi Tracker,
Pretty good shot for 1st time. Mine were all fuzzy, some days now they still suffer, according to how many "floaters" are on my eyeballs. I think you have to be over 60 to identify with that observance.

Absolutly get a shutter release and adapter, will cut down on the swearing considerable. ;0) bob

Screech said:
Hi Tracker,
Pretty good shot for 1st time. Mine were all fuzzy, some days now they still suffer, according to how many "floaters" are on my eyeballs. I think you have to be over 60 to identify with that observance.

Absolutly get a shutter release and adapter, will cut down on the swearing considerable. ;0) bob

Thanks, Screech. Well i reckon everyone must have plenty of rotten shots stocked up before gettin the one that counts?

Regarding floaters.....im in my 30's.....and i have plenty of them goin on.....black things across my eyes all the time.....just gotten used to them now....lol

Oh yes, and about the swearing...... :eek!: ;) ..............lol

Thanks for your encouragement,

tracker

Last edited:
Just lookin at the shutter release cables at Eagle eye Optics........Does it really make any difference what length of cable......10" or 18" ? Lookin at the picture, im wondering how it attaches to the CP4500. Does it screw in or is there a particular type needed for the CP4500?

Thanks

Im feelin even more confused now. Just noticed i need a wing bracket? to attach the shutter release cable. To be perfectly honest, i feel im going round in circles trying to get together what i need to complete this outfit.

Im still confused as to what bracket i need to attach cam to scope........ :h?:

There seems to be wing brackets here, adapters for adapters there and, well....im feeling totally confused

tracker

Last edited:
Hi Tracker! I couldn't help but chuckle at your list. My first digiscoping subjects were doves. Make great static subjects. Until everyone gets tired of looking at dove pics. I've been into digiscoping for a bit over a year now and I think I can safely say I have improved somewhat and moved on with my subjects. I am still hand holding my camera to the scope though. Should have an adapter fairly soon which should make things even better.

It's not enough just to put your camera in the macro mode, if your 4500 is anything like the 990, once you see the flower icon representing macro mode, you will have to back down on the zoom until the icon turns yellow. Then you are truly in macro mode.

I think you are off to more than a fair start with the photo of yours I just looked at in the gallery and certainly wind and cold are big enemies of digiscoping. On windy days, I try to keep my tripod as low as possible. Good luck and I look forward to seeing all your digiscoping shots. :)

Hi KCFoggin,

Im glad you sensed the humour that was in my opening comments. I think youve got to be able to see the funny side of new ventures.....otherwise it would be easier to give up.....o:D

Regarding the macro comment, i feel im gonna have to look in to this a little more.

Im impressed to learn that you still hand hold your camera to scope. Ive seen a few of your pictures and know you must be quite skilled to produce pictures of that quality.

Im lookin forward to a calm (er) day and hope i will see a big difference in my shots in comparison to the ones i took today in strong, bitter winds.

Thanks for your encouragement too,

tracker

Tracker check out the EagleEye Generic Shuuter release arm - it's an all in one item and well made for around £20 + P&P !

As the CP4500 doesn't have a screw hole in the shutter button, you need a bracket to hold it in place.

As regards length - I prefer the slightly longer one as it minimises movement.

tracker said:
Regarding the macro comment, i feel im gonna have to look in to this a little more.

What macro does, is it focuses on what it sees in the scope, i.e. not the actual bird itself, but the view in the scope..... not that I'm very good at explaining technical stuff, but I think that is the main idea.

Susan

Hi Tracker,

Know JUST how you feel - it is all extremely confusing - so many options and so many different suppliers....

Just to clear up the bracket question....

The EagleEye wing bracket is a small piece of machined metal that screws into the tripod hole on the bottom of the camera and has holes/fittings to attach other things...like...

The arm for your cable release... this is just a shaped metal rod that allows you to position the cable release over the shutter button.

The LCD magnifier - alternative is to use (supplied) velcro strips - this may sound a bit Mickey Mouse but works well apparently. As mentioned - personally yet to see the benefit of one of these....

I was just lucky.... it was my birthday and Mrs R was scratching around for something to get me, so I was able to get all this stuff in one go.

I wouldn't recommend any of those over any of the (many!) other options - there's plenty of people out there with loads more experience than me....

Keep at it (and keep smiling!!)

tarves57 said:
What macro does, is it focuses on what it sees in the scope, i.e. not the actual bird itself, but the view in the scope..... not that I'm very good at explaining technical stuff, but I think that is the main idea.

Susan

Thanks Susan, i see exactly what you mean. So basically, once the scope is in focus, the camera just focuses down on the image it sees in the scope? Sounds pretty useful.

Thanks too, Ian and Ruby for the explanations to my puzzle. I think it takes someone who has 'been there' to explain things a little clearer, in the knowledge of what the frustration can feel like.

So basically, i can by that wing bracket and attach, for now anyway, the shutter release cable? Yeah, and i think i'll go for the 18" one.

Thanks again everyone for your patience....... :t:

tracker

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back