• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peter Scott print or painting? (1 Viewer)

katbearman

Hi, i was reading in an earlier birds forum that it is easy to tell whether a picture by the Master - Peter Scott is an original painting or a print. Please could someone tell me how?
Thanks Kate

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

You might want to ask your question in the Wildlife art section which can be found on the main forum page.

Hi katbearman and a warm welcome from me too

I'm sure you will enjoy it here

D

Hi Kate, welcome to BF.

The easiest way to tell is to use a magnifying glass to examine the picture closely. Look for a rosette pattern of dots, one blue (cyan), one red (magenta), one yellow (yellow!) and one black (Key). Most Peter Scott prints will have been printed this way using the four colour lithography process, commonly referred to as 'litho' and this pattern is the give away. Digital prints are harder to spot as the pattern is not present because most digital prit uses a process called 'inkjet' which sprays ink from ultrafine nozzles onto the surface. Glossy or shiny paper is another clue but, again, digital printers are able to print onto almost any surface.

If the picture in question looks like it has been painted in oils (Strong colours, high contrast etc) then angle the surface and look for ridges of paint applied thickly.

I hope this helps and I hope you've got an original!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back