• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (1 Viewer)

Did a twenty minutes from Pendennis the other evening with not a sign of a manxie, and checked Gorrangorras with not a wader to be seen. Scanned Argal Reservoir from the dam end this evening - 1 Common Sandpiper, 17 Canada Geese and the GCGrebe family.

Clouded Yellow butterfly near Treverva.

Last edited:
Bit disappointing this afternoon -

65 Manxies in half an hour from Pendennis Point. Then the cloud/mist came in, and although I stuck it out for another hour, hoping visibility would improve, only another 5 Manxies to show! Another birder + family in the adjoining car.

Been away again for a spell - looks like I might have missed the annual Black Tern at Argal Res (think there's been a record for the last 3 years now) - no reports from the last few days but will check it out later perhaps.

Pendennis Point -

Rock Pipit 8
Kestrel 1
Oystercatcher 10
Whimbrel 1
Med Gull 2
Pied Wag 4
Gannets west

Castle Beach -

Little Egret 2
Oyk 8
Curlew 1
Med Gull 3
Swallow 12 nearby

Gyllyngvase -

Curlew 1
Whimbrel 1 (poss same as Pendennis bird which flew west)
Med Gull 9
Oyk 7

Swanpool -

Little Grebe 4
GCGrebe 1
Green Woodpecker 1

Last edited:
Good to have you back Dan! In Falmouth at the weekend, but probably not out much (ancient Dad in tow). Pasty at Pendennis Sat or Sun lunch depending on the weather are possibilities.

Cheers Jon, it's nice to be pottering around again.

Argal Res - no sign of any Black Terns from the dam but -

Mute Swan ad + 1 young
GCG 8
Grey Heron 2
Mallard 15+
Swallow 15

College Res -

Mallard 3
Coot 13
GCG 1 + 1 young
Herring Gull 25
GBBGull 1

Gorrangorras, Penryn River -

High tide roost partly obscured by a boat, but
Redshank 20+
Turnstone 2

Forecast fog overnight was more of a hazy mist but it still produced in the way of birds.

Pendennis 7am -

Sooty Shearwater 1 west
Balearic Shearwater 5 west
Small shearwater sp. 3 west
Fulmar 1
Teal 1 west
Dunlin 1 over
Med Gull 2
Gannets + the other common bits
Pied Wag 4
Linnet 7
Swallow 12+ near the swimming pool

Swanpool, Swanpool golf course rather quiet though.

Last edited:
RICHARD'S PIPIT near Nansidwell yesterday ... not a bad bird for the Falmouth area! (Not seen by me unfortunately, but one of the lecturers from the Uni apparently).

Had a quick look around the more immediate area this morning - 5 Rock Pipits Pendennis Point probably the highlight for the coast.

Gorrangorras, Penryn River, 9:30 (high tide roost) -

Redshank 45
Greenshank 4
Curlew 35
Whimbrel 1
Dunlin 2
Oystercatcher 8
Turnstone 4
BH Gull 50+
Swallow, 3 Pied Wags, 30 Rook and 15 Jackdaw in the pony field.

Argal Res -

Grey Heron 3
Mallard c.35
Swallow 50
House Martin 50
Sand Martin 2
Chiff/Willows 20+
Goldfinch 80+ flock
GCG 7
Mute Swan 2 +1 young

College Res -

Grey Heron 2
Mute Swan 2
Mallard 21
Moorhen 11
Coot 13
Water Rail (h)
Teal 5
GCG 2
Swallow 10+
Sparrowhawk

Last edited:
My first full day back in Falmouth and enjoyed 4 different age groups of Med Gull (1st, 2nd, 3rd and adult winter) down on Gylly Beach!

Good to see you're still keeping up the local patch regularly Dan. Let me know when you feel like heading out together. I'll be able to start patching again any time after Tuesday

Attachments

• September 2013 111.jpg
    September 2013 111.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 32
  • September 2013 112.jpg
    September 2013 112.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 32
  • September 2013 033.jpg
    September 2013 033.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 27
  • September 2013 051.jpg
    September 2013 051.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 34
  • September 2013 113.jpg
    September 2013 113.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 40
Nice Med Gulls!

Out and around today for what seems like the first 'proper' birding for a while (tried a spot of seawatching once or twice in the week with dire results - eg 3 Gannets in an hour and a half on one occasion).

Pendennis Point
-

Knot 1
Wheatear 1
Whimbrel 1
Rock Pipit 3
Pied Wagtail 3
Linnet 2
J St Ledger 1

Gyllyngvase beach and rocks

Med Gull 5
Curlew 1
Sandwich Tern 2
Turnstone 1 (I'm sure there were more waders hiding behind the rock)
House Sparrow 50 in bushes next to the cafe
Chiffchaff 2

Swanpool -

Little Grebe 4
GCG 1

Swanpool Golf Course -

Wheatear 4
White Wagtail 4
Swallow 40
House Martin 20
Chiffchaff 1

Last edited:
This afternoon - had a quick look at Argal Res from the road - GCG, 3 Mute Swan family and 60 Swallows.

Gorrangorras high tide 3:40pm

Redshank c.43
Curlew 35
Oystercatcher 8
Mute Swan 6
Wigeon 1

Presumably Greenshank roosting elsewhere ...

And Pendennis again - hour and a half seawatch produced ...

Great Northern Diver
1 west
Gannet c.10
Med Gull one past the point
Common Scoter 1 drake c. half mile offshore

... and that was it.

... and that was it.

4 or 5 hours seawatching this week has produced grand totals of -

c. 15 Gannet total
1 Great Northern Diver
1 Common Scoter sat on the sea
A few local Med Gulls, Shags, GBB and Herring Gulls
0 Fulmar
0 Auks
0 Terns
0 Skuas, Tropicbirds, Frigatebirds etc etc
0 Kittiwakes
0 Shearwaters.

Apparently all the birds are on the french side of the channel ...

Apparently all the birds are on the french side of the channel ...

... and on the north side of Cornwall of course.

Only allowed myself 2 or 3 hours sleep, and then straight into a rather full days birding.

First for some strange reason headed up to Pendeen, along with Samuel. Not quite there for daybreak, but 7:30 was early enough (ok we'd missed a few shearwaters and such, but hey). A few squally showers were unpleasant enough, but the winds supplied in terms of some quality seawatching, although it was of course difficult to get on all birds in the conditions. Highlights whilst we were there (up to about 12:30) included - 5+ Sooties, c. 20 Balearics with a constant background of Manxies, 3 Grey Phalaropes, 20 or more Bonxies, half a dozen Arctics and a Pom (which we didn't get onto unfortunately) and 2 Common Scoter. 2 Common Dolphins and a Basking Shark. A Merlin out at sea (then chasing a Peregrine). And then of course the main highlight - over a dozen Leach's Petrels ... (although it was hard to get onto anyone else's birds so most present saw only half this number or so each. Some cracking birds although at varying distances. Unfortunate highlight was one being predated from behind by a (the same?) Peregrine - an unsuccessful attempt was then witnessed by most present with the bird then being simply plucked up by the Peregrine as it innocently flew along on its way half a mile out or so.

2 Kittiwakes, 3+ Fulmars, lots of Gannets (no 1st year birds though that I can recall), 2 commic terns and a few auks (most Razorbill I think) and shags etc.

We then succeeded in not seeing very much at Marazion or on the Lizard (although the 'escaped' Whooper Swan was still on Helston Boating Lake. Cetti's still near Loe Bar.)

Stithians had exposed mud/grass, but no waders - c.80 Swallows, a couple of Wigeon and a Shoveler.

Penryn River, Gorrangorras at dusk had a high tide roost of c. 50 Redshank, 40+ Curlew, 2 Oystercatcher with c.40 Mallard and Wigeon still.

Lidl's had Milk, Bread and Bacon.

The chip shop had chips.

Last edited:
lots of Gannets (no 1st year birds though that I can recall)

Definitely remember seeing some 1st years (mostly passing closer inshore between the rocks and cliff), roughly where the Tropicbird was 8-P

Also a couple White Wags on the beach at Marazion (still consulting the ID's of the trickier ones).

Thanks again for the driving Dan :t:

Good to see you on patch again Dan and sorry for not being able to chat, I was a little preoccupied with trying to keep the interest with my two attendees ;) We had 2 Whimbrel and a Curlew on the beach along with an adult Med Gull at Pendennis and the 3rd or ad win. that flew past us whilst at Swanpool Point.

Didn't pay too much attention to the sea, despite wanting to look for cetaceans as I ended up chatting to Greg and collecting a fishing line from the rocks that'd been abandoned there. Those careless fisherman really anger me :C

Once I got back home I heard that the AK wildlife trip people were watching 100's of Porpoises and a couple Bottlenose Dolphins offshore! They also had 6 or so Sootys.

Hey no worries, I was only popping out briefly. First time I've seen Greg on patch since the alleged Dusky ...

Those AK Wildlife reports get ever more outlandish! ( ;) ) . Actually, just checked their website, says 35 Porpoise which is more reasonable, if still rather impressive. That I only saw 1 ... maybe they were further around. (Edit: - and there is no mention of '20' BT Godwits from the other day, just 1?)

And yes, a good day, weds. Taken me a while to recover - 13 hours in the field or so? Old age I think ...

Last edited:
Today's stuff -

Pendennis
-

11 shearwater sp. west around 11am (flocks of 6, 4 and 1 over a ten minute period, c.4 miles out, a bit gloomy, so no id forthcoming!)
1 Harbour Porpoise distantly in Falmouth Bay
1 Med Gull in the Carrick Roads

Swanpool Point - 2 Med Gull

Argal Res -

2 Grey Heron
1 Canada Goose
2 Mute Swan
3 Tufted Duck
35 Mallard
10+ BH Gull
7 GCGrebe
4+ Chiffchaff
30+ Swallow
9 Curlew in adjoining field

College Res -

4 Grey Heron
3 Mute Swan family
2 GCGrebe (ad + young)
19 Teal
3 Wigeon
17 Mallard
16 Moorhen
17 Coot
2 Little Grebe
8 Cormorant
c.50 Herring Gull
1 GBBGull

Errm... why alleged? It was a Dusky ;)

Out at Pendennis late afternoon, with nothing really to remark: 1 ad Med Gull, 5 Rock Pipits, 7 Oystercatchers, 1 Ringed Plover (at Gylly) and very far Gannets, besides other usual stuff...

Cheers...

(alleged?)

My joke ;)

I think only 4 or 5 (?) people managed to see it over the whole winter period - no wonder really if it didn't actually favour the immediate area next to the path - it could happily be in the middle and no-one would be any the wiser ... I don't doubt it did actually exist!

Hopefully we'll get some more good stuff this autumn/winter ...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back