• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parrots (1 Viewer)

Pionus

Adam Dawid Urantówka, Aleksandra Kroczak & Paweł Mackiewicz. Complete mitochondrial genome of bronze-winged parrot (Pionus chalcopterus chalcopterus, Psittaciformes). Mitochondrial DNA Part BPublished Online: 17 Oct 2017.

[full article]

Provost, Joseph, Smith. 2017. Resolving a phylogenetic hypothesis for parrots: implications from systematics to conservation. Emu.
[abstract & suppl.mat.]

ABSTRACT
Advances in sequencing technology and phylogenetics have revolutionised avian biology by providing an evolutionary framework for studying natural groupings. In the parrots (Psittaciformes), DNA-based studies have led to a reclassification of clades, yet substantial gaps remain in the data gleaned from genetic information. Here we provide an overview of published genetic data of parrots, characterise sampling depth across the phylogeny, and evaluate support for existing systematic treatments. We inferred a concatenated tree with 307 species from a 30-gene supermatrix. We recovered well-supported relationships among recently proposed clades. Taxonomic groups were more stable towards the base of the tree and increased sampling will be required to clarify relationships at the tips, particularly below the generic level. Only a third of species have been sampled intraspecifically in population genetic or phylogeographic surveys. Intraspecific sampling has not been geographically or phylogenetically even across Psittaciformes, especially poor in the cockatoos, Southeast Asia, and parts of Australo-Papua. Threatened species are poorly sampled in the Neotropics. We highlight where effort should be focused to improve sampling based on geography and conservation status. In sum, phylogenetic relationships among the major parrot clades are robust, but relationships within and between genera and species provide opportunities for future investigations.
KEYWORDS: Psittaciformes, supermatrix, biodiversity, phylogeography, conservation genetics, IUCN Red List

It's time to wake up Stan...

Hum, sorry, it's time for a little, arbitrary, taxonomic revision, never mind for the spoilers.

Cacatuidae: In my humble opinion, it's not necessary to split Calyptorhynchus into Calyptorhynchus and Zanda, rendering the former paraphyletic, I've split this genus into three subgenera : Calyptorhynchus, Harrisornis and Zanda. This also applies to Cacatua, which is split into Cacatua , Licmetis [/I(included and Camptolophus Sundevall, 1872 as subgenera.

Psittacidae: To avoid merging the very distinctive Poicephalus into Psittacus, I've placed fuscicollis and robustus into Notopsittacus Roberts, 1922, and separated gulielmi in Eupsittacus ibid. (tentative)
I've merged the Carolina Parakeet (formerly Conuropsis) into Aratinga.

Psittrichasinae is elevated as family rank (Psittrichasidae)

Psittaculidae: I've merged Tanygnathus as well as Alexandrinus, Belocercus, Himalayapsitta, Mascarinus,
Nicopsitta and Palaeornis into Psittacula and isolated Polytelis alexandrae into Spathopterus.

Phygis, Vini (included Coriphilus) become a junior synonyms of Charmosyna.
Need to know which, between Coriphilus and Charmosyna (both 1832), has priority.

Trichoglossus absorbs Psitteuteles iris and Glossopsitta concinna.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Phygis, Vini (included Coriphilus) become a junior synonyms of Charmosyna.
Need to know which, between Coriphilus and Charmosyna (both 1832), has priority.
The precedence might well not be fixed. (The date of publication is the same, thus you need to find a first-reviser act.)
But, with Wagler's names both dating from 1832, surely Vini Lesson 1831 is the name that takes precedence here?

(PS - Phigys, not Phygis.)

The precedence might well not be fixed. (The date of publication is the same, thus you need to find a first-reviser act.)
But, with Wagler's names both dating from 1832, surely Vini Lesson 1831 is the name that takes precedence here?

(PS - Phigys, not Phygis.)

Indeed
www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/50577#page/174/mode/1up
and
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/65170#page/173/mode/1up

The first link listed Phigys as Gray 1870, the second as Less. 1831

For the year of publication of Vini, I followed Lista Ptakow, which indicates 1833, hence this error

Irmng and wiki indicate 1833 too

Last edited:
Lesson uses Vini as a subgenus in Illustrations de zoologie ou recueil de figures d'animaux, peintes d'après (unpaginated) The part is dated June 1831. There is a plate but it has no Latin name on it. The Preface is dated November 1831. https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/91260#page/13/mode/1up .
Amador (1942) differentiates Vini and Charmosyna subgenericaly, but Steadman and Zarriello (1987) linked Vini with monotypic Phigys…from Forsyth Vanished and Vanishing Parrots .
Lesson does not use the subgenus Vini in Traite (preface dated 1830) but he puts L. vini in the tribu Les Phygis.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/111050#page/231/mode/1up . Lesson uses a specific name phigy. It isnt until 1870 where Gray uses Phigys as a genus name citing Lesson's French name as Latin?

Last edited:
1833 looks more correct. (The date of June 1831 appreaing at the end of this account might then be the time of writing, rather than that of publication.)

In Bibliographie de la France, the work was announced, prior to the publication of the first livraison, on 4 Feb 1832 only [here].
The publication plan suggested there was: livraisons would consist of 3 (numbered) plates + the corresponding (deliberately unpaginated) text; 20 livraisons / volume; the first livraison was forecast to be issued on 1 Mar 1832, the following ones were supposed to appear monthly.
The publication of the 10th livraison (which should have included plates 28-30 if the plan was followed) was announced on 19 Oct 1833 [here].

The preface is indeed dated Nov 1831, but it was written using the future tense, thus probably before the work was issued.

My bad; sorry about it.

In this case, how does it come that Vini is in use, though...?

Last edited:
Steadman and Zarriello (1987) linked Vini with monotypic Phigys

Here is Steadman and Zarriello, 1987

David W. Steadman & Marie C. Zarriello, 1987
Two New Species of Parrots (Aves: Psittacidae) From Archeolgical Sites in the Marquesas Islands
Proceedings of the Biological Society of Wahington 100: 518-528

Attachments

• 100-518-528.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Boyd says:
The name Coriphilus (Wagler, 1832) replaces Vini (Lesson, 1833, not 1831). Although the change in date for Vini seems correct and can be found in H&M-4 (Dickinson and Remsen, 2013), it doesn't seem to have been adopted. Because Coriphilus has been used since 1900 (at least up to the 1930s), it is impossible to use article 23.9 of the code to retain Vini. Hence I use Coriphilus.
Schweizer et al. (2015) also found that Charmosyna is paraphyletic with respect to Coriphilus and Phigys, but did not sample enought taxa to be sure of how to handle Charmosyna. The tree doesn't fit comfortably with plumages, and its far from clear where several of the taxa will go.

Last edited:
Boyd says:
The name Coriphilus (Wagler, 1832) replaces Vini (Lesson, 1833, not 1831). Although the change in date for Vini seems correct and can be found in H&M-4 (Dickinson and Remsen, 2013), it doesn't seem to have been adopted. Because Coriphilus has been used since 1900 (at least up to the 1930s), it is impossible to use article 23.9 of the code to retain Vini. Hence I use Coriphilus.

That answer my question.

Schweizer et al. (2015) also found that Charmosyna is paraphyletic with respect to Coriphilus and Phigys, but did not sample enought taxa to be sure of how to handle Charmosyna. The tree doesn't fit comfortably with plumages, and its far from clear where several of the taxa will go.

More taxa are included in the new study and the result looks very similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back