• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beginner's efforts (1 Viewer)

OutEast

Greetings All!,
I just received my Vortex razor HD, Vortex DCA, and PS-100 and immediately paired it with my Panasonic DMC-FH1 and took a few shots. This was the better of the bunch. The distance was about 25 ft, the skies were overcast. The camera settings were varied as I tried different combinations for each shot....cannot recall what I used on this particular photo. I cropped it, and adjusted it some in iphoto to what I thought looked pleasing to my eye. I am brand new to digiscoping and would greatly appreciate any criticism and or helpful suggestions. Thanks for your time.
Mike

Attachments

• p1000183am.jpg
    p1000183am.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 178
Doesn't look bad at all for a first attempt. I looked at the exif data on the photo and make a couple of suggestions based on that. It looks like the shutter speed was 1/50 sec which is a bit slow at this magnification. You were at full zoom on the camera and if you were using 20X on the scope that would mean this was shot at a 35mm equivalent focal length of 140mm X 20 = 2800mm. I seem to have better results with this same combo when I keep the focal length to 1500mm or less. I try to keep my zoom level to about half the max on the camera (optical zoom only). This would also tend to increase your shutter speed and reduce any blur coming from vibrations. I did some quick post-processing of the photo (which just about all digiscopers perform to some extent on their photos) and got this result. I think you'll get much better photos as you gain experience, but this is a fine beginning shot.

Rick

Attachments

• robin_adj.jpg
    robin_adj.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 118
You will find that 'cropping" and " digiscoping' are not a good combo.... No reason to do as a scope, even at 20-30X zoom will get you plenty of distance over that of a camera and lens. With a camera and quality lens, you can 'crop' and still have foto's to show, but with digiscoping, the two do not mesh..... so part of the fuzzniess might be in your photoshopping... jim

Awesome information guys much appreciated! Like I said I'm new to this and really grateful for the tips. Thanks again and more to follow.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back