• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking Leica pocket. (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
Really like now I'm looking for some compact binoculars, which of these is smaller?
-Leica Trinovid BCA 8x20
-Leica Ultravid BR 8x20

Is there an 8x25 model with good quality that is equal to or smaller than both of the above?
On the other hand, of the two Leica models mentioned above, which one of them presents the least black out issue? (something that for me is very uncomfortable). I use binoculars without glasses ...

Finally, if you allow me, I would like to ask you if there is an 8x20 model of a quality similar to that of the Leica mentioned ... that instead of having double bridges like the Leica, have only one ...? maybe more comfortable or faster when it comes to observe or save in your pocket ...
Thank you in advance for your opinions and advice.
Sincerely
Wachi

I have the Leica Ultravid BR 8X20 and the BR 10X25. The 8x20 is far smaller and is my favorite small travel binocular. It can be fiddly for some, so you should try them before buying. I have had an older Leitz Trinovid 10X25 for many years and I used them a lot, but I don't use them any more as they were made before phase coated prisms. (The newer Trinovids have been updated but I prefer the Ultravids). The Ultravids give a great view. I use them with glasses. People who have used mine without glasses have not had a problem with them.

Zeiss has a new version of their Victory model, an 8x25. It is a single hinge design. There are several write ups of them on the Zeiss forum. They also have the Zeiss Terra Ed 8X25 (double hinge) which have gotten good reviews and are less expensive. I had a pair which I had to send back for a "floppy hinge" problem. It took awhile to get a new pair from them, but the new ones seem ok. They have twist up eye cups which I prefer. But they are larger than the Leica 8X20s. The Leicas have push up eye cups which do work ok, but they can more easily be moved out of position. To my eye, the Leicas have a bit better glass as well, but a lot of people like the Zeiss Terras, and they are much lower priced.

You could also look at the Swarovski 8X25 Pocket CL. I have tried them and liked them. The glass and build quality is terrific. They are in the same price range as the Leicas, and the Zeiss Victories. Both the Zeiss and Swarovskis also come in 10X25 versions. But the Leica Ultravid 8X20s are the smallest, a true pocket binocular, and have great glass. And for me they are easier to hold steady than the 10X25s. They really fit my particular needs most of the time.

Hello,
Really like now I'm looking for some compact binoculars, which of these is smaller?
-Leica Trinovid BCA 8x20
-Leica Ultravid BR 8x20

A: the Trinovid.

Is there an 8x25 model with good quality that is equal to or smaller than both of the above?

A: No.

On the other hand, of the two Leica models mentioned above, which one of them presents the least black out issue? (something that for me is very uncomfortable). I use binoculars without glasses ...

A: That will depend a lot on how you hold and use them. I have no problem with either

Finally, if you allow me, I would like to ask you if there is an 8x20 model of a quality similar to that of the Leica mentioned ... that instead of having double bridges like the Leica, have only one ...? maybe more comfortable or faster when it comes to observe or save in your pocket ...

A: The only really good one that I am aware of is the new Zeiss Victory 8x25. Other very good ones, sich as the Kowa Genesis, Swarovski CL Pocket and Zeiss Terra, all have double bridges.

Thank you in advance for your opinions and advice.
Sincerely
Wachi

My respective answers inserted above behind your questions.

Canip

Thanks for your opinions, very interesting!
Really, is there any advantage in this type of pocket binoculars for having double bridge instead of single bridge? maybe the ease or speed in its use?
regards

Thanks for your opinions, very interesting!
Really, is there any advantage in this type of pocket binoculars for having double bridge instead of single bridge? maybe the ease or speed in its use?
regards

The advantage is that the double hinged binocular will fit into a shirt pocket easier than a single hinged binocular will. (I prefer using the terms "single hinge" and "double hinge" rather than "single bridge" and double bridge.")

When tightly folded the double hinged binocular will have a flatter profile than the single hinged binocular because the single hinge will stick up higher than the double hinges which remain flat. Try it.

With a little practice one can open a double hinged binocular that has stops at its fully open positions (Note that the Leica 8x20 BCA Trinovid does not have these stops at the fully open position and it will flop back and forth.) and set one's IPD just as fast as one could open a single hinge compact binocular.

Bob

Last edited:
I find it much easier and quicker to use the binocular if I don't fold it but let the inter-pupil distance remain unchanged when I place it in a pocket (or elsewhere to quickly pick it up). The Leica Ultravid 10x25 and the new Zeiss 25 (both 8x and 10x) are roughly the same size (though the Zeiss has thicker barrels). When set to a relatively narrow IPD (mine is about 61 mm) and the binocular is placed flat it juts out (at a right angle) more in the single hinge design, as shown in the diagram.

Attachments

• l-z-25.jpg
    l-z-25.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
So in this case it is more comfortable to use a bino with stops until its total opening, no? let's say faster ..
I guess these stops will not limit the width of each person's eyes?
Anyone know if the Ultravid model has those stops?
Thanks, Wachi

So in this case it is more comfortable to use a bino with stops until its total opening, no? let's say faster ..
I guess these stops will not limit the width of each person's eyes?
Anyone know if the Ultravid model has those stops?
Thanks, Wachi

Yes it does.

The objective tubes on a compact binocular with these "stops" will not open wider than the stops. As you can see from this picture of a Nikon 8x20 Premier LX L in the link below, the "stops" are part of the double hinge assembly. The tubes can still move downward but not up.

To set your IPD keep the left tube fully extended and look through it with your left eye; then move the right tube downward until you get your correct IPD for your right eye.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/premier-lx-l-8x20.html

Bob

Last edited:
[A part of this post here is deleted because when I began to type it in I did not see Bob's post and thought that Wachi was addressing me! The rest of it I am letting remain because it might be useful.]

the movement around each of the two the hinges, in the Leica, and the single hinge, in the Zeiss, is tight enough for the IPD to remain undisturbed even when (in my case!) the binocular is put into a front pants pocket and then I walk or climb, etc., and then take it out. Actually, with the Zeiss this has not been tested enough as yet by me because it is only recently that I got it.

Last edited:
The 8x20 Ultravid is smallest in its BL version, which is the one I prefer.

It has hinge stops.

If you prefer to focus with your right hand, I recommend extending the right side all the way to the stop. Doing so positions the focus wheel under you fingers in the most ergonomic way. Use the left side to refine the IPD.

--AP

I can only speak from experience but I have the trinovid 10x25, for a pocket binocular I think they are superb.

I have that one too. It's a fine bin, but two things I don't like are the 5 m close focus (the Ultravid equivalent gets down to 2 m) and the lack of positive stops on the hinges.

--AP

Hello,
I've been looking here and there, and comparing prices I see that the Trinovid 8x20 model in some places is almost half the price of the Ultravid 8X20 model !!, it's so much the difference visually, I mean in relation to the quality of image or mechanical quality?
Thank you
best regards.
Wachi

Hello,
I've been looking here and there, and comparing prices I see that the Trinovid 8x20 model in some places is almost half the price of the Ultravid 8X20 model !!, it's so much the difference visually, I mean in relation to the quality of image or mechanical quality?
Thank you
best regards.
Wachi

There is a difference, but whether that is worth 50% price difference is very much debatable. The Trinovid shows a very decent image. Some people will recognize the difference to the even better Ultravid, some will not.

I have the Leica Ultravid 8x20. Really small...you can't tell you have them round your neck. Mine came with a nice padded case. I find them to be excellent for what they are but a touch on the expensive side. I haven't used the Trinovid.

...I see that the Trinovid 8x20 model in some places is almost half the price of the Ultravid 8X20 model !!, it's so much the difference visually, I mean in relation to the quality of image or mechanical quality?

I find the Ultravid _much_ better optically and ergonomically. The differences are dramatic.

The Ultravid has better handling (esp. better focus knob; hinges with positive stops so you can unfold the bin very quickly and asymmetrically as described in other threads), better eye-relief if you wear glasses, much better close focus, _much_ better contrast, and a larger sweet spot (better sharpness toward the edges of the field of view).

--AP

I used to have a 8x20 Ultravid and now I use a 8x20 Trinovid. Sure the Ultravid is a bit better optically, but if you buy a late model Trinovid with the latest coatings, the difference is not very big.

Mechanically the Trinovid is very nice. The hinge tension is such that you don't really need a positive stop. For me the eye-relief (with glasses) is spot on whereas with the Ultravid I was always struggling to find the optimal position. The focusser of the Ultravid is bigger and easier in use.

For occasional use I coudn't justify to myself to buy/keep the Ultravid and I think the Trinovid is a very good performer at its price point.

Ideally you should of course compare the two models yourself

George

I have the 10X22 Kowa Genesis and they easily fit in my front shirt. My eyes tell me they're a fantastic binocular - very clear, sharp, bright during mid-day and great contrast. I don't know much about binocular qualities, just what my eyes tell me. I didn't/don't have a need for these mighty mites, just a maybe want, which I attribute to the good folks on this forum.

If you feel the need for a pocket size binocular - might just take a peek at the Kowa 10x22.

Thanks for all your coemntarios, really the 10X model is not for me, since in my hands it trembles a lot, it is better for me the 8X model, and I really think that the 8X20 models, the smallest ones, are the ones that I think that will be truly pocket, to always carry over wherever.
I think that the 8x25 model, even though it's small, is not really pocket-sized, well, I mean it's not as pocket-sized as the 8x20 models.
I do not know if anyone knows an 8X25 model that has the same size as an 8x20?
regards
Wachi.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back