• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (2 Viewers)

I was gone from home all day yesterday participating in a Christmas Bird Count over at Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge, so no 2012 birds from the yard. Only bird seen today as I compose is:

1. American Goldfinch (early morning)

* I did however get 45 species for 2012 by doing the CBC!

Added a few more "yard birds" for 2012:

2. Black-capped Chickadee
3. Downy Woodpecker
4. Northern Flicker
5. Red-bellied Woodpecker
6. Northern Cardinal
7. House Sparrow
8. White-breasted Nuthatch
* That's all for today, January 2nd

I got 89 out of 120. But a mega amount of new species, including Marsh harrier, Red-throated diver, Great white egret and common tern.

If I've done the maths correctly? you achieved a 75% return for the year(same as Jane) on your all time total of a 120 (same as mine!). With 2 new garden ticks for me against your 4?, I'm obviously slacking :-C I can see the ''words'' of yester-year, which appeared on my school reports with unfailing regularity ''Could do better''.....lets see what the year brings and may the best ''guy'' win.

............. my first day back in mine started REALLY well - as a bird that I failed to get all 2011 made a fly-by early on - being the very first finch of the year:

Common Crossbill !!

Excellent start!

What a great idea to upload photos of our gardens, I'll do it later. Santa brought me a new computer and I haven't yet figured out how to do it, it's a different method to the old one.

Last year my total was 87 out of my all time total of 107, which if I've done the maths correctly is 81%.

My list so far in order:

1)Rook
2)House Sparrow
3)Blue Tit
4)Great Tit
5)Magpie
6)Wood Pigeon
7)Chaffinch
8)Herring Gull
9)Redwing
10)Jackdaw
11)Buzzard
12)Cormorant
13)Pheasant
14)Fieldfare
15)Blackbird
16)Sparrowhawk
17)Jay
18)Robin
19)Starling
20)Dunnock
21)Green Woodpecker
22)Greenfinch
23)Goldfinch
24)Wren
25)Stock Dove
26)Tawny Owl
27)C Crow
28)Great Spotted Woodpecker
29)Coal Tit
30) BH Gull

Here are pictures of my inland rural Sussex garden. It's about 15 miles from the coast as the crow flies and about 7 miles from Ashdown Forest and is on a migration route. Big skies, farmland and woodland nearby.

Attachments

• IMG_2895resized.jpg
    IMG_2895resized.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2903resize.jpg
    IMG_2903resize.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2906resize.jpg
    IMG_2906resize.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2907resize.jpg
    IMG_2907resize.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2910resize.jpg
    IMG_2910resize.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 131
Was at Dunham Massey on 1st Jan but from home today saw the following

1. Kestrel
2. House Sparrow
3. Blackbird
4. Wood Pigeon
5. Robin
6. Tree Sparrow

Here are pictures of my inland rural Sussex garden. It's about 15 miles from the coast as the crow flies and about 7 miles from Ashdown Forest and is on a migration route. Big skies, farmland and woodland nearby.

Lovely, Joanne. Very rural and rolling.

Will try to upload some photos later today, but I just had to let you gardeners out there know that my first day back in mine started REALLY well - as a bird that I failed to get all 2011 made a fly-by early on - being the very first finch of the year:

Common Crossbill !!

Total still in the twenties - and it was zero centigrade this am.

Nice one H!

CB

Another 20 minutes out front despite having a busy day paid off with another 'garden' first in the form of a Yellow-spotted Honeyeater calling from the forest. This was followed a few minutes later by a calling Cicadabird from the same direction; only the second ever!

I could get used to this 'standing out the front' lark as it's clearly the place to be to hear forest birds and watch the sky for flyovers, even if it is uncomfortable in the attention it garners from the neighbours: a woman from next door approached me as I stood there to ask me what I was doing. I told her I was birdwatching (as if that sounded like a normal thing to do standing where I was in a carpark when such prime habitat was only a few hundred metres away). To my relief she immediately understood and began enthusing about her own yard birds! I'd hastily added I was taking part in an online 'competition' to see as many birds as possible from one's property; yes I know it isn't a competition really but I had to make what I was doing seem in some way normal!

Whilst we stood there, as if on cue, a passage of over 100 Rainbow Bee-eaters flew over, which I duly pointed out, even though we could barely see them with the naked eye, so high up were they.

There's still lots of common stuff which hasn't shown yet (where on earth are our resident Brush Turkeys gone?) and my new-found strategy for finding stuff (even if it does make me feel uncomfortable) gives me optimism for a good year total.

24) Yellow-spotted Honeyeater.
25) Cicadabird.
26) Rainbow Bee eater

Back at work tomorrow, so maybe nothing new will be added until Sunday.

1) Tawny Owl - heard on the night of the 1st

From the bedroom window on the morning of the 2nd -

2) Herring Gull
3) Blue Tit
4) Magpie
5) Mute Swan 12
6) Little Egret 2
7) Coot
8) Black-headed Gull
9) Goldfinch
10) Redshank 1
11) Starling
12) House Sparrow
13) Carrion Crow
14) Pied Wagtail
15) Curlew 1
16) Mistle Thrush

Just come back in from the garden. Blowing a gale all day, things generally quiet. Added six to take the total to:

Another brief scan this afternoon, after the wind and rain had abated, turned up the goods -

17) Mallard c.10
18) Lesser Black-backed Gull
19) Greenshank 1

And going out to the car

20) Great Black-backed Gull

1 flew over

Just come back in from the garden. Blowing a gale all day, things generally quiet. Added six to take the total to:

Much better than me today, force 11 gale off the Sussex coast, trees blown down around here and all the birds were hiding so nothing to add.|:(|

I couldn't see the sea today - through sand blow and salt caked windows...(and the observatory was vibrating alarmingly) so Little Gull and Gannet will have to wait a bit!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back