• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpecker Quiz: Hairy or Downy? (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
I was seeing how popular the Downy or Hairy Woodpecker thread was, so I started this thread to see if you are a bird brain or a brainy bird. The answers will pop up tomorrow. Until then PM your guess.

Here's number one!

Attachments

• hairy or downy 2.jpg
    hairy or downy 2.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 297
Answer to Woodpecker Quiz: The bird is a Downy Woodpecker!
Sorry to those who said it was a Hairy!

Attachments

• hairy or downy 2 answer.jpg
    hairy or downy 2 answer.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 216
Here's some harder ones:

Attachments

• hairy or downy 3.jpg
    hairy or downy 3.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 250
  • hairy or downy 4.jpg
    hairy or downy 4.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 237
Just got on to this thread.

Viewing your photo, I call this bird a Hairy WP. No visible black bars on outer white tail feathers.

Hi Bob (Screech),

You made the same mistake I (and the others?) did - the outer tail feather is stuck below the metal bar on the feeder, so what looks like the outer feather on the tail, is actually the second feather.

If you look at the centre of the red ring on Gthang's answer pic, you'll see there is a black spot there on that feather. I guess when I saw the pic first time, I took that for a bird poop.

Michael

Every one that answered, i guess there were 5 people, all of them said hairy!

Not to brag or anything.

Now try the new pictures (in post #5).

gthang said:
Now try the new pictures (in post #5).
Hi Gthang,

I think I'll go Downy on both of them - the right-hand bird is the same size compared to the feeder as the first quiz pic, and the left-hand bird also looks small (and I think I can just see a dark mark on the edge of the tail?)

Michael

Well, Michael is right on the money on the right-hand one. But even I don't know the answer to the left-hand picture. I'm sure I'll know...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back