• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help ID large gull on Lake of Geneva (1 Viewer)

Widus

These pictures were taken last September 22. Large numbers of Yellow-legged Gulls can be seen at this time but I am not sure the bird belongs to this species. Help on the ID would be appreciated.

Widus

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 103
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 73
Hello Widus.

If I put it like this: There´s something not right with this Great Black-backed Gull.

Which means that the bill looks GBBG big, tail pattern looks GBBG like with white, nearly unmarked outer feathers, in other words a tail pattern that would fit some 1st winter GBBG. Tertial pattern HG like with notches and pale edge that reaches the secondaries - could fit some GBBG. The eye looks large for GBBG, the greater coverts a bit to dark usually paler with narrower dark bars.

http://www.pbase.com/stephaubry/image/58856032

The covert moult is not good for 1st winter GBBG at this time, either for Herring Gull, but it is very good for Yellow-legged gull. A male Yellow-legged Gull is the suggestion here albeit with a slightly odd tail pattern, tertial pattern and pale inner primaries.
Nice images!!!

JanJ

hello,

pale inner primary window: it happens in michahellis that some pale surface extends on outer webs of p1-4 too, but not as extensive as in herring of course. wideness of black band on tail varies also. tertial pattern can be odd as in this, head looks perfect for a 1st winter male type YLG and, as jan said, moult in wing coverts has started which makes it a southerly breeding sp - michahellis.

Thank Jan and Lou for your comments. This was indeed a strange looking YLG ... So now I can rest easy, yet slightly disappointed as GBBG are rarities on our shores!

Superb images. I would have gone straight for 1st winter GBBG but, as the learned fellows above state, there's just 'too much happening' regarding the greater coverts for this species (much more subtle barrings) - I therefore assume it's a YLG (having very little experience with this sp.) Lovely bird, anyway and great pics.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back