• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2016 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

I found this bee orchid in Hertfordshire in July with an upside down flower.

Mark

Attachments

• _DSC3839.JPG
    _DSC3839.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 96
RFI - Not UK but can anyone contact me off list about orchids in Tenerife, I am going at end November.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Mark

RFI - Not UK but can anyone contact me off list about orchids in Tenerife, I am going at end November.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark - I thought January was the best time for orchids on Tenerife and I have found some info re sites for then. I am going to the Los Gigantes area in December and I hadn't thought there would be orchids in flower then but if there are then I would be grateful for some info too please. Have a great time Mark.
Anne

Hi Mark - I thought January was the best time for orchids on Tenerife and I have found some info re sites for then. I am going to the Los Gigantes area in December and I hadn't thought there would be orchids in flower then but if there are then I would be grateful for some info too please. Have a great time Mark.
Anne

The orchids in Tenerife all flower at slightly different times unfortunately. Habenaria tridactylites (the only example of this tropical genus in Europe) flowers first (you will see that Anne with the correct localities), followed by Himantoglossum metlesicsianum (should see that too) and then Orchis canariensis at the end of January and finally Gennaria diphylla around the same time peaking in Feb/March. I did however find a few G. diphylla in flower in April a couple of years ago.

I think Neotinea maculata occurs quite commonly too but again I think they peak Feb/March.

Mike

Last edited:
The orchids in Tenerife all flower at slightly different times unfortunately. Habenaria tridactylites (the only example of this tropical genus in Europe) flowers first (you will see that Anne with the correct localities), followed by Himantoglossum metlesicsianum (should see that too) and then Orchis canariensis at the end of January and finally Gennaria diphylla around the same time peaking in Feb/March. I did however find a few G. diphylla in flower in April a couple of years ago.

I think Neotinea maculata occurs quite commonly too but again I think they peak Feb/March.

Mike

Thanks Mike - I should be exploring the Masca area so I'll keep an eye out.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Mark
Hi Mark, we were there mid-Nov last year and thought we were too early - not so! Habernaria tridactylites were out then and we also found two Himantoglossum metlesicsianum in full flower. When we returned in January, we managed all four species in a day, but only rosettes of N. maculata. Will pm you if you need site info, but suffice it to say we were north-west of the island.

Hi Mark, we were there mid-Nov last year and thought we were too early - not so! Habernaria tridactylites were out then and we also found two Himantoglossum metlesicsianum in full flower. When we returned in January, we managed all four species in a day, but only rosettes of N. maculata. Will pm you if you need site info, but suffice it to say we were north-west of the island.

Hi Lorne - I would be grateful for some site information too please. I am going on 12th December and again in January, both times staying near Los Gigantes. I tried to PM you but your box is full. Regards, Anne

Three questions

1. why the change?

2. why don't we stay here?

3. is there secret cabal taking these decisons?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back