• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

top 5 bins. every one please vote. (1 Viewer)

First I want to thank you all for this wonderful website! I came to birding as a photographer (shorebirds in flight - primarily in La Jolla, CA) so I am biased towards optical perfection at the expense of size and weight. That bias led me to a Zeiss 7x45 Night Owl and although I have tried many others, I have not found a more perfect combination of brightness, contrast, sharpness, near absence of CA, wide FOV and those wonderful wrap-around eye cups (I don't wear glasses). In short, all of the attributes of my finest Nikon Telephoto lenses - all of which are heavy but optically superb.
Rounding out my list and in no particular order would be: 2) Zeiss 7 or 8 x42 Victory FL; 3)Swarovski 8.5x42 EL; 4)Leica Ultraved 7x42 or 8x50 and 5)Nikon 8x42 Premier LX. These are all so optically superb that ergonomics or price would be the primary deciding factor.

1. Leica 10x42 BR Ultravid
2. Zeiss 8x56 BGAT* Dialyt ClassiC
3. Zeiss 10x42 Victory FL
4. Leica 8+12x42 Duovid
5. Swarovski 8.5x42 EL

I own 1 & 2, and briefly owned 3. I would gladly own 3 instead of 1 if I could have found one with spotless glass. I have tried 4 & 5, and would happily use them if they were *given* to me. I'm very happy with what I have already and would only consider possibly an Leica 8x20 BL Ultravid as a compact.

Regards.

Last edited:
hummerman said:
Where are al the leica users hiding,that seems to be all you see out birding,...

Could it be that all those Leica users simply never feel the need to change their binoculars as seems to be the case with some others. Thus, how could they enter their top 5 list here? ;)

bodromarsh said:
I really don't like the direction Zeiss is going in, and feel they have lost their way by trying to build a binocular for everybody, much like Nikon. To me, they are no longer one of the big three. There are the big two, Leica and Swarovski.

What is so wrong with the Zeiss way? Swaro have their cheaper lines too. And the new Zeiss FLs have gained rave reviews. In addition, Zeiss are the only ones that have really shown innovation in recent years. The last one before that was when Swaro invented the EL. And that is really a long time ago, relatively speaking.
Leica's Ultravids are essentially an attractive repackaging of an already excellent optical system. With the addition of state of the art coating. But the limited close focusing was not dealt with. The notable exception here are the superb new compacts, though!
The original Zeiss Victory line sure was not really top notch, though close. And at least, Zeiss did not stick with it but came up with another and this time really convincing innovation. (With only the unfortunate Victory name still making a connection to the otherwise separate model line.) Now, if only that quality control were what one expects from a top brand!

Last edited:
I really don't like the direction Zeiss is going in, and feel they have lost their way by trying to build a binocular for everybody, much like Nikon. To me, they are no longer one of the big three. There are the big two, Leica and Swarovski.

I have to admit that I was taken aback a little bit with that comment as well. I guess the fact that Nikon and Zeiss make affordable binoculars separates them from Leica and Swaro. Quality would have nothing to do with the categorization though....;)

my top five would be
1. Leica ultravid 7x42
2. Leica ultravid 8x42
3. Leica trinovid 8x32
4. Leica duovid 8+12x42
5. Zeiss FL 8x32

my best five

Here is my best :

1) Leica Trinovid 7x42BN
2) Leica Trinovid 7x42BN
3) mmmmmmhh, Leica Trinovid 7x42BN
4) see above ;)
5) it's enough

Seriously, I have tried and owned many in all this years (still now), and to my eyes, my sight characteristics, included defects, as spectacles wearer, Trinovid 7x42 is my champion.
I think it does not exist the best binocular in absolute, the best one what is adapted better to the own characteristics.

aorlansky said:
1) Leica Trinovid 7x42BN
2) Leica Trinovid 7x42BN
3) mmmmmmhh, Leica Trinovid 7x42BN
4) see above ;)
5) it's enough

If you like the 7x42 Trinovid you should try the 7x42 Ultravid... it's simply amazing.

postcardcv said:
If you like the 7x42 Trinovid you should try the 7x42 Ultravid... it's simply amazing.

The best binoculars are the ones I own:

1) Nikon LX L 8x20 (an impressive introduction to the Nikon LX L family -- maybe an 8x32 will be in my future)

2) B&L Custom Compact 7x26 (I have used this more and for longer than any other binoc I have owned -- it's a great one-handed binoc to use when I am carrying a scope)

3) Celestron Noble 8x32 (mediocre but dependable and built tough -- always there when my Custom Compact goes out of collimation).

Two I don't own but the best I have recently peered through:

3) Swarovski SLC 7x42 (my dream binocular)

4) Leica Trinovid 7x42 (equal to the Swaro optically, but I liked the handling less)

Otto McDiesel said:
could you please compare these two (Leica and Docter 8 x 42s)?

Otto - I own both on the flimsy justification that the lighter Docter would appeal to, and therefore be used by, my wife. The Leica (mine is a BA series) has a wider field of view, is noticeably heavier of the two, and is optically wonderful. It also focuses in the Leica and rest of the world direction. The surprise with the Docter is just how really good it is - effortless handling, helped by unusually comfortable thermoplastic armoring and very satisfying views in a lighter weight package, at the price point of so-so to pretty good Japanese optics (Celestron, Pentax etc). It also focuses in the traditional Zeiss direction, not surprising considering it is made in the old VEB Zeiss Jena plant in Eisfeld. The views through the Docter are characteristically German, in that its lens coatings result in the bin excelling over most of its Asian competitors in twilight and heavily overcast conditions. For me, the Leica 8 x 42 BA remains the bees knees, but the Docter is a real sleeper.

Last edited:
My top five are:
Leica 8+12x42 Duovids
Leica ultravid 8x42
Leica ultravid 10x42
Leica Trinovid 7x42
Swarovski 8.5x42 EL

Hello!
I have read all the lists some of them are long and , in my eyes, a little strange!!Why does anybody need to buy 3 or four bino,s or sometimes more?You can only use one at the time! I have owned 0ne cheap 8x30 that fall and broke. After that I bought a second hand Zeiss 10x40 b , I owned it for more then 15 years sold it because of the narrow field and since 1999 I own a Leica 8x32 trinovid. Excellent quality, wide field , good eye relief, nice<light> to carry around, you can put it in your pocket, the only reason for me the buy a other one will be damage or so or an even better, lighter, for a not too high price. Yoy can see I am satisfied Leica user!!
Ben ba1

ba1 said:
Hello!
I have read all the lists some of them are long and , in my eyes, a little strange!!Why does anybody need to buy 3 or four bino,s or sometimes more?You can only use one at the time! I have owned 0ne cheap 8x30 that fall and broke. After that I bought a second hand Zeiss 10x40 b , I owned it for more then 15 years sold it because of the narrow field and since 1999 I own a Leica 8x32 trinovid. Excellent quality, wide field , good eye relief, nice<light> to carry around, you can put it in your pocket, the only reason for me the buy a other one will be damage or so or an even better, lighter, for a not too high price. Yoy can see I am satisfied Leica user!!
Ben ba1

Possibly because every binocular is different and serves a different need. Or perhaps its because some like to see and compare the differences in the image quality of the various optics options and even to compare current offerings to those that were available in the past. For some it might be just a interest in collecting. Others may be on a continual quest to finally find the binocular that is "perfect" for them. Some people can't stand having "yesterday's model" and just simply must buy whatever is the latest and greatest. And the list goes on and on.

BTW, while your 8x32 Leica Trinovid is undoubtedly a finely crafted optical instrument and is possibly one of the very best binoculars in its class, it is a bit of a stretch to say it has "good eye relief." It barely manages 14mm which is the absolute bare minimum for anyone wearing eyeglasses to (possibly) manage to see the full field of view. In the 8x30-32 format the only binocular I know of with worse eye relief is the Leica Ultravid (with 13.5mm.) The Zeiss Diafun matches the Trinovids with 14mm and all others exceed them with at least 15mm with one (the Pentax DCF XP) managing 20mm. (If you go to 10x, eye relief figures get far worse in a hurry.)

top 5 bins

For birding my choices would be

8x32 EL Swarovski

8x32 Nikon LXL

Leica 8x32 ultravids

Zeiss 8x32 FL

8x32 Nikon SE

All these are so close that I think it is basically up to how the bins feel in ones hands. The 8x32 Nikon SE are optically the best I have seen but the lack of adjustable eye cups/eye relief and their not being waterproof are a problem for me. The 8x32 ELs are not my favorites optically but fit my hands so well and the eye relief is enough and I like the retractable eye cup system that seems more flexible than most. I should add that I don't own any of these bins yet but have been looking at all of them and am pretty close to settling on one of the above. By the way, I was real impressed with the Leica Ultravids but had concerns about the eyecups. The rubber seems flimsy and vunerable to being ripped or torn. I currently own the 8x42 Trinovids and the eyecups on those are very hard and very durable. I suspect Leica received lots of complaints about the Trinovids eyecups being to hard and perhaps overcompensated with the new Ultravids. ...... but like I said I don't own a pair and I know next to nothing about them really just a concern that occurred to me as I tried out a pair a couple of weeks ago. I tried a pair of the Zess Fl 32s with high expectations after having read many rave reviews, but I was sorely disappointed, but I need to try another set out before completely dismissing them. Perhaps my expectations were too high.... The 8x42 Zeiss FLs, on the otherhand were excellent and are perhaps the only 8x42 I would consider for all around birding.

Top 1 (one) bin

My 18 year old or so Zeiss 7x42 classics.

They fit both my eyes and hands better than anything else I have ever tried.
End of story.

Last edited:
1) Swarovski EL 8x32
2) Swarovski EL 8x32
3) Swarovski EL 8x32
4) Swarovski EL 8x32
5) Swarovski EL 8x32

Now, let me tell you about my favorite binoculars....

Zeiss FLs 8x42 is my fav magnification
Leica BNs 8x42s again
Bushnell Natureviews 8x42s again (brilliant for the price)
Nikon SE 10 x 42
Swaro 8.5x ELs

The Zeiss FLs are much much much much better than any other Binos I have tryed, they are in their own league

What! Again?
Well, time changes things.
1. Nikon 10 x 42 SE
2. Nikon 8 x 30 E II
3. Nikon 8 x 32 LXL
4. Nikon 10 x 35 EII
5. Swift 8.5 x 44 804.

They are the best I've ever used.

Bob

In order:
1. Nikon SE 8x32
2. Nikon SE 10x42
3. Swarovski SLC 10x50
4. Swarovski SLC 7x42
I own 1, 2 and 4.

Greetings,
Alessandro.

1. Swarovski 8x32 EL. (You´re dead right, Luca).
2. Swarovski 10x42 EL (for sea-watching, marshes, etc.)
3. Leica Ultravid 8x20 BR. Can´t get over how unbelieveably good these compacts are. I´ve tried them in all lights, and do not understand how they´re so bright in low-light conditions.
4 and 5: Anything by Avians. Had the 8x and 10x before I sold them to upgrade to Swaro, and they are truly excellent mid-range bins.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back