• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large Swedish raptor & 2 small juveniles for ID (1 Viewer)

Macswede

Macswede
The raptor was seen on 18th July in northern Dalecarnia, close to the Norwegian border. It patrolled a river before flying off. We stopped the car and got out to take a look.
It looked large and grey.

The juveniles were in roughly the same area. They were small and I think I know what they were but I'm not entirely sure.

I'd be really grateful for any ideas. I know the quality of the raptor pictures isn't great. :)

Attachments

• IMG_4957.jpg
    IMG_4957.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_4959.jpg
    IMG_4959.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4962.jpg
    IMG_4962.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_4966.jpg
    IMG_4966.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 208
First thing we thought of was Osprey as it was patrolling the river but I've never seen one give such a grey impression. Have to confess it looked a lot like an Osprey while I was processing the images just now though.

Dunnocks would be nice for the juveniles as I've never seen one in Sweden. I thought they had a greenish tinge but that could have been a trick of the light.

they've got a pied flycatcher feel to them, but to be honest, I haven't a clue! Raptor is definitely an osprey however.

My first reaction on the juvs was Stonechat - aren't they just too long legged for Spotted Fly?

Mind you I've just seen the second picture and they might be too long-winged for Stonechat!

Stonechats are extremely rare in Sweden. Bluethroats would be more likely to be frank.
For what it's worth I saw young Spotflys in the general area.
It was mainly because I was fairly sure they weren't Robins that I took the pictures.

We have to remember that Flycatchers leave their nest in very early stage, when they have only "assisted" flying skills...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back