• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Galway - s/h Nikon EDG advice please (1 Viewer)

Brendan100

Hello All,
I have just joined this week and I am a total newbie to the hobby. I am considering purchasing ( secondhand ) a Nikon EDG 85 + FSA L2. May I ask if there is anything I should look out for with regards to s/hand equipment?

Thanking You,
Brendan.

Hi Brendon and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the 'scope forum, as I'm sure you'll get the advice you need there. I also subscribed you to the thread so you can keep track of it.

check that:
* glass surfaces are free from scratches/marks (objective lens and eye piece)
* focus wheel moves smooth and precise
* sunshade moves smoothly
* tripod mount threads should look good
* any sign of marks on the scope/sign of it have been dropped..
* the image is sharp and have no CA, look at wires, tree branches etc to check this
* original box and nikon warranty card, manual etc exists

The EDG scopes are very solid scopes,
all metal body etc. so they should be good candidates for
a good second hand purchase.

The optical quality of the EDG series is very good, and quality with the photo adapter is also good.
What you should be aware of is that the EDG85 is rather big and heavy,
and you will need a sturdy tripod and solid head for it to work well!

Good Luck!

Hi Vespobuteo,
Thanks for your prompt reply. May I ask if the FSA-L2 reduces sharpness or would I be better off with just an eyepiece for viewing only?

Regards,
Brendan.

Hi Vespobuteo,
Thanks for your prompt reply. May I ask if the FSA-L2 reduces sharpness or would I be better off with just an eyepiece for viewing only?

Regards,
Brendan.

In my opinion, an eyepiece for viewing is more practical fore everyday birding. The view is also brighter than looking through DSLR + FSA-L2 + scope.

The bayonet mount makes it quite fast to change to the FSA-L2 + DSLR camera when you are going to take photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back