• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (1 Viewer)

Quick morning visit, 4 Little Egret on the new reedbed pool with 1 Ringed Plover, a Cetti's Warbler was singing at the silt pond.
I looked for Yellow-browed Warbler as there are quite a few in England at the present time and if you can get Barred Warbler in Worcs. why not a YBW? However I didn't see any.
Geoff

A Great White Egret flew across Fishers Mill Pool heading towards Dosthill waterski pit this morning, 2 Little Egret were also around.
There were 24 redhead Goosander on the north pit and in the field nearby were 6 Yellowhammer, J F said he could see a Tree Sparrow with them but I missed it. A Dunlin was on the new reedbed pit.
I see on the notice board that Marsh Tit have been reported on the feeders, it is something I'd expect as I'm pretty sure I saw one in the area last winter, today though all I heard were Willow Tit. 2 Coal Tit and a Sparrowhawk were also attending the feeders.

Friday 28/10. Morning visit.
There were at least 4 Little Egret on the various pools, also seen were 12 Goosander, 15 Fieldfare, 2 Cetti's Warbler singing and a mixed flock of 30 ca. Siskin and Redpoll. A Dunlin was on new reedbed pool.

This morning there were 2 Little Egret. Grey Heron were calling at the heronry.
200 ca. Wigeon were put up by a nearby Pheasant shoot. 1 Goldeneye was still on midwest pool. A Peregrine put up the Lapwing flock. there were now 2 Dunlin on the new reedbed and 5 Yellowhammer in the farm field hedgerow.

Highlight this morning was a Short-eared Owl which was hunting over the Dosthill bund hill but also briefly flew across the river by Fishers Mill Pool at 11:15.
A Water Rail was calling at FMP,also there were 2 Little Egret. 2 Dunlin were on the new reedbed.
4 Goldfinch had found the nyger feeder at the feeding station.

Morning visit, weather dull with occ. drizzle.
A Water Rail was on new reedbed pool, also there were 100 ca. Lapwing but no other waders. A Shelduck, my first since July, was on Hall Lake.
A Short-eared Owl was hunting around Dosthill Lake bund hills, best watched from Fishers Mill Pool and new reedbed pool. Fieldfare and Redwing were noted and the feeders had Nuthatch, Coal Tit and great spotted Woodpecker visiting them but no Greenfinch were seen.
Geoff

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-15593482
Hi Geoff another article on the new Lapwing area
B :)John
Thanks again, I've just found the original press release which is much more detailed. www.rspb.org.uk/media/releases/294122-a-lifeline-for-lapwings-at-middleton-lakes
Also of interest it says that Viridor Credits actively seeks applications from groups for grants, so could be of interest to Upton Warren etc.
Geoff
ps. If the link doesn't work, go to the RSPB website and click Media Centre and press releases. It's dated 4/11/11.

Last edited:
I just did the southern half of the reserve this morning. 2 Little Egrets, 1 Peregrine and a Golden Plover flew over and 5 Goosander were along the river.
A Goldcrest was with a tit flock but no rare warblers were with them unfortunately. A Short-eared Owl was reported again.
I was told that the work party were on the north pit strimming weeds and pulling up willows (I must join them again soon).
Geoff

A pleasant afternoon visit. 2 Little Egret were around, 4 Goldeneye were on the mid west pools, 3 Golden Plover and 5 Snipe on north pit and 3 Dunlin on the new reedbed pool.
3 Short-eared Owl were reported by JF, I saw at least one hunting around the bund hills, a Stonechat and a Kingfisher were also reported.
A Goldcrest and a Treecreeper were with the tit flocks.
At dusk,it was good to see a Starling Murmuration (Starling roost dance) of a few thousand birds over Fishers Mill Pool. I waited to see if they dropped in to the reedbed there, some did but the majority flew to the middle section pools to roost. If the roost continues for a few more weeks, it's well worth seeing.
Geoff

Stonechat pair on bankside vegetation fishers mill pool 1300

Martin
Hi Martin, I looked for the Stonechat but missed them. It's good to get some reports from other birders on here, all are welcome.
This morning 2 Dunlin were on new reedbed pool with Lapwings, 20 Golden Plover thought about joining them but flew off east instead.
A Grey Wagtail was feeding along Langley Brook near the silt pond balcony and Goldcrest had increased to 6.
Geoff

Seemed to be a bit of passage on today with Bewick and Whooper Swans reported over and a few flocks of Golden Plover, 40 of which came down on the north pit.
The 2 Dunlin were still on the new reedbed and a Short-eared Owl was showing nearby around 1 pm. A Snipe and a Jack Snipe were on the play meadow. A Stonechat was reported again.
Geoff

Visited the Dosthill side of Middleton Lakes this morning. There were 1 or 2 Little Egret, 1 Woodcock (my first since March), 1 Short-eared Owl, a Kingfisher and 1 singing Cetti's Warbler.
Geoff

This morning 6 Little Egret were on the north pit. Also on the reserve were 8 Goosander, 1 Snipe, 9 Dunlin, 1 Kingfisher, 2 Stonechat, 2 Chiffchaff and 3 Siskin.
A Marsh Harrier and 2 Redshank were reported just before I arrived but they didn't stay around unfortunately.

From the M42 at junction 9, take the A4097 towards Kingsbury and turn left at the first roundabout. Follow the lane round to the left and the main entrance to the Water Park is on the right after half a mile. Continue past this and over the motorway and then turn immediately right into a tiny lane and take the entrance on the left to Broomey Croft. Follow this road, forking right to leave the caravan site on your left, pass through the lifting barriers and continue to the car park at the end. Walk north along the towpath and the gravel pits are on both sides after one mile.

Tried following directions to Dotshill Lakes from Birdguides for the SEO's yesterday failed.
Just ended up around Curdworth bottom lock. Lots of Gadwall and Wigeon on these lakes and 1 female Goldeneye. What is the best way to approach Dotshill to see the Owls?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back