• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Tucson area (1 Viewer)

bobmoose

Bob Moore
Hi everyone,
I'll be spending a month in the Tucson area from Dec 15- Jan 15 and was looking for some suggestions about some places to go. I'll daytrip as well as overnight if need be. I would really like to get a roadrunner. Where I'm staying has a decent selection of "backyard" birds as well as a hummer feeder but I would like to see more if possible.
Thanks in advance for any tips.
Bob

I'd recommend (1) looking at the Arizona section of this site (2) purchasing the ABA Guide to SE Arizona, and (3) lurking/subscribing to the AZ/NM listserve at www.birdingonthe.net . These resources will give you a sense of where birds are being seen, the traditionally productive spots, and they will help you learn what birds to expect in season.

Depending on how far you want to travel from Tucson (which has excellent birding within the city limits), the possibilities are vast. I envy your opportunity to spend a month in this bird- and natural history-rich area.

A site guide I used at aztrogon.com (I think - it was along time ago!) He keeps a daily blog and also offers guided days out all around the area. Saw a few Roadrunners near where I was staying in N Tucson.

Hi Bob,

This is normally a really great place for birds in the winter. Definitely check out the list serve that Steve mentions. You might also want to spring for the latest version of Finding Birds in Southeast Arizona
Sweetwater Wetlands, in Northern Tucson is a great place, as is the Rodger Road Wastewater Treatment site right beside it. Madera Canyon has had some good winter visitors lately (still a Trogon there as of two days ago). Whitewater Draw just east of Bisbee for Sandhill Cranes, lots of good raptors and I have never failed to see a Roadrunner as I've traveled the roads around the Elfrida area (near the draw)
Do you have any other target birds?
Lisa

Last edited:
guide and info source

As mentioned above, http://www.aztrogon.com/Journal/Main.htm is a site with a lot of information. It is maintained by Stuart Healy, a very good guide with whom I have birded three times in all. He is both knowledgeable and hard-working, and is also an excellent "ear" birder. Even if you don't use his services, his site is an excellent source of information. Good luck.

Hi Everyone
Just a bit of an update on my experience so far.
The backyard birds have been good (Anna's hummer,plus some other un-ID'd,Gambels Quail,mockingbird,verdin,doves,finches,sparrows,phainopepla, redtail and cooper hawks) I've been to HoneyBee Valley urban park as well as Catalina State park.
Best so far is a Pyrrhuloxia,Cardinal,Meadowlark,Ladder backed woodpecker,Gila woodpecker. No roadrunner yet but the awesome scenery is making up for it!
Plan to visit Madera canyon soon, reports there of Bluebirds,Lazuli bunting and others.
More to come later
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back