• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheap good quality roofs on eBay? (1 Viewer)

dipped

I was searching eBay for "10x42 binoculars", and arrived at the "Telescope-Service", eBay shop, where they have some £100 10x42 and £78 8x42 binoculars with all the features associated with quality roofs. Has anyone else seen these or had any dealings with the company? They look too good to be true but have 100% feedback (I don't have any connection with them or eBay).http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10955&item=6176585866

Above is the link to the 10x42 roofs. I was thinking I was going to have to pay a lot more for a pair of roofs with these features (and presumably will to get the optical quality), but they look interesting as a backup/car pair.

Be mindful that not all coatings are created equal. "Fully-multicoated" and "phase corrected" might sound the same as top roofs but the compounds and processes can come up much short of what the best use. The specifications are as much advertising as anything else, if they can use the terms associated with top bins, but do so at a cheaper pricepoint, they will. They also may or may not fall apart after a year or two. Remember, cheap is cheap, there is no free lunch in optics. Don't be a sucker for marketing.

On the strength of that review they look well worth a punt, don't they?

I might treat myself to a pair of the 8x42s as a back up pair for my Leica 8x32s...

Last edited:
blythkeith said:
On the strength of that review they look well worth a punt, don't they?

I might treat myself to a pair of the 8x42s as a back up pair for my Leica 8x32s...

Hi and thanks for the input from all above.

If you do get a pair let us know how you get on. I notice with regard to the review they are the 10x42 triplet design and they are now selling presumably a newer lighter 10x42 version. However what is still amazing to me is the price, even more so now having read the review. In other words the 10x42 tested (and by implication the 8x42 triplet on sale at £78), stand comparison optically and otherwise with much more expensive binoculars.

I'm really after a pair of 10x and I'm waiting to try the new Canon 10x42 IS bins. I currently use Nikon 8x32 SE's (over 6 years old) and am wondering if these would do as an interim measure or if it's better to save my money and wait. Decisions, decisions. Having read Mr Absetz's views on Image Stab. I really want to have a look at them.

Heh!

Didn't look very hard, did I?

;)

They're not the "Nevada" bins though - the ones in the original link - which is what I was searching Ebay for.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back