• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surprise,Surprise. (Not the Cilla kind) (1 Viewer)

Ian Bell

Supporter
Scotland
What local rare bird have you come across on a casual watch on your local patch ? I remember this time last year,taking the dog for a walk around the coast (Girdleness) and coming face to face with a Short eared Owl about 10 yards in front of me..! Any unexpected stories from your own patches ?

walking the dog - luckily with me bins around me neck.

I stop half away around the wood, get right to the edge of the wood to have a look at the view a what screams past me....... a Hobby!!!! Totally chuffed I was.

Then two weeks later saw another one while walking along the canal with my then girlfriend, about two miles away from where I'd seen the first one. Again I had my bins around my neck.

Hopefully this means they were breeding in the area this year... gonna keep my eye out next year. :t:

John.

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in my own garden!!!!
AND it was my (then) 7 year old son who saw it and recognised it first!!
Never seen one here since!!

I've seen a lot of unusual birds at my local patch, including Virginia Rail, Sora, Marsh Wren, Stilt, Semipalmated and Least Sandpipers, Semipalmated Plover, and Black-crowned Night-heron. However, the best one was a White-winged Scoter I found last December; a rare bird away from the Great Lakes and the 1st county record!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back