• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oare and Reculver, Kent 20th April 2004 (1 Viewer)

Lancey

Dear all,
Today's birding trip began at Oare in bright sunshine which I hoped would bring any migrants out into the open for my enjoyment. The previous evening I'd entertained the hope of finding a Ring Ouzel at Oare since there had been a number of reports of this species from coastal localities in the south and east during the past few days.

I began by walking along the footpath to overlook the West Lagoon. THe tide was quite low but gradually rising which was fortunate.

Two Whimbrels were preening on the exposed foreshore and a party of three Common Terns screeched their way downriver.

After scrutinising the West Lagoon I'd seen:

2 Little Egrets
The drake Garganey was asleep with a few Teal for company.
A lone Greenshank was in the far west end.
5 Black-Tailed Godwits
8 Avocets
The escaped drake Chiloe Wigeon was pursuing a female Wigeon and was doing his best to woo her away from his european counterpart who wasn't at all keen on the idea. If the Chiloe is successful and a brood is raised, I'd suggest caution in claiming a distant American Wigeon without having first eliminated Chiloe x Wigeon hybrid ( hands up who saw the Eyebrook Reservoir bird several years ago?). OK, I admit it - I did.

Walking further westwards and checking likely Ouzel pastures revealed nothing. Two Marsh Harriers were hunting in the area though. I reached the small private copse with rather amusing 'No Through Road ' sign - surely only a tank could try to use that overgrown track as a road? If only 'That's Life' were still on TV, Esther may have found it rather amusing.

I digress. Nothing was happening in the wood. Just a Blackbird feeding on the grassy area so I may as well return to the car, hang on a minute - Ring Ouzel!!! And there it was in all its glory, looking jet black with a big white horseshoe stamped on its chest. Then it was gone. Unable to believe my prediction had come true, I mentally kicked myself for not buying a lottery ticket yesterday - I probably would have won!

Patiently I waited and it showed again. I went over the style and ventured a little farther. There it was at the base of a bush. Then, to my surprise, another Ring Ouzel joined it. Fantastic.

I videod these birds which were subtly different - one seemed slightly browner in strong light and the gorget slightly more flecked with brown. Maybe one was a slightly younger male than the other? I didn't consider one to be a female, but I may be wrong. Both are included in the photos below (don't ask me which is which though!).

By this time a confiding female Kestrel was posing for a photo on a post. It was so close I could see its dark claws - I'm not THAT lucky!

To cap it all, where the tide was almost high a flock of 60 Whimbrels were grouped on the strip of mud before flying inland onto the fields.

The next stop was further east at Chambers Wall SE of Reculver where the Woodchat Shrike brought me down to Earth by showing at 300yards range in the heat haze. Perhaps you can spot it in the photo?

This was a thoroughly enjoyable day and I may even have got a bit of a tan into the bargain (but I'd have preferred a Lesser Kestrel!).

Lancey

Attachments

• ROuzel1.jpg
    ROuzel1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 126
  • ROuzel4.jpg
    ROuzel4.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 137
  • ROuzel5.jpg
    ROuzel5.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 134
  • Kestrel200404.jpg
    Kestrel200404.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Woodchat.jpg
    Woodchat.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 160
Nice one. Not seen ring ouzel at Oare.

Took me 2 hours (nearly) yesterday for the shrike to come within 100m

Nice one Lancey..... Saw a Ring Ouzel myself yesterday (and this morning) which was a lifer...

Was the Shrike still in much the same place??? (I'm hopeful, but not very optimistic, of a trip down there myself in the next few days...)

As far as the Shrike is concerned,I'd say go for it,Ruby!...I was down there this morning and if you connect, you won't be disappointed and it was easy to see.Kept leaving the (sparse)bush it was in,getting an insect and returning to the same location.
At one point it was sharing the bush with a Yellow Wagtail and there were plenty of others to see..Wheatear,Pipits(mainly Meadow!)Sedge Warbler etc,and Waders on the beach.A charming location.

Last edited:
Grousemore said:
As far as the Shrike is concerned,I'd say go for it,Ruby!...I was down there this morning and if you connect, you won't be disappointed ...
Glad you saw it Trevor - it is a cracking bird.

Grousemore said:
As far as the Shrike is concerned,I'd say go for it,Ruby!...I was down there this morning and if you connect, you won't be disappointed and it was easy to see.Kept leaving the (sparse)bush it was in,getting an insect and returning to the same location.
At one point it was sharing the bush with a Yellow Wagtail and there were plenty of others to see..Wheatear,Pipits(mainly Meadow!)Sedge Warbler etc,and Waders on the beach.A charming location.

PIPITS - ARRGHHHH!!! That's it - I'm not going!!!!! ;)

But seriously..... Yes. I will make every effort, but my main problem at the moment is how to fit a half-day bird-skive in with unpleasant other things (like work & chores!!)

Great report Lancey. I'd like to see some ring-ouzels - used to see them when I lived in Lancashire. The woodchat shrike would be a life tick. Saw a great grey shrike at Stodmarsh many years ago and a red-backed shrike at Samphire Hoe last year. How do you get to Chambers Wall by road? I'd be grateful for directions. Many thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back