• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Water Pipit? (1 Viewer)

Steve Round

I photographed this bird at Neston Old Quay, Cheshire this morning, the site is known for wintering Water Pipits. Could someone please let me know whether this is one or not, as another birder told me that it was definately a Meadow pipit but I don't agree.

Steve

Attachments

• pipit1.jpg
    pipit1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 471
  • pipit2.jpg
    pipit2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 425
Steve,

With legs that colour I'd be tempted to say it's neither and is a Scandinavian Rock Pipit. It isn't a Meadow, but Water and Scan Rock can be tricky to separate from images.

It also seems to have too much streaking for a Water Pipit, and the eye stripe and wing bars should both be more obvious on a classic bird. It certainly isn't a Meadow Pipit.

There, that's pinned my colours to the mast!

Stephen.

Yep Agreed - a littoralis Rock pipit, which according to submitted records is non existent at this particular Wapit hot spot. Nice bird and fab photos.

Last edited:
Thanks,

Stephen and Jane.

Do you think that all the Water Pipits that have been sighted there are in fact these Rock Pipits Jane?

Steve

I agree with Jane - a littoralis Rock Pipit. I believe Neston Old Quay is a favoured place for them....just that no-one sees them......

Steve - sorry, but its just a Rock Pipit. Chris is having a laugh.. he knows that I worry that most of the records of Water Pipits at Neston, especially the big counts, are Scandi - Rock pipits.

They can have white outer webs, relatively unstreaked mantles, good supers and white wing bars, but to get them all on one bird you have to very unlucky I guess!

Send the record into the Cheshire raities committee though :)

Jane Turner said:
Steve - sorry, but its just a Rock Pipit. Chris is having a laugh.. he knows that I worry that most of the records of Water Pipits at Neston, especially the big counts, are Scandi - Rock pipits.

Yes, I hear your name mentioned whenever birders are talking about the "Neston Water Pipits"

Andrew,

It is always difficult to judge these things from pictures. To take one well photographed individual, the Water Pipit at Leighton Moss in front of the bay window hide, some pics look clear cut and others make you wonder and yet it is the same bird throughout.

Stephen.

I suppose the supercillium's not that good, although I think otherwise it's fine from what we can see. The underparts are much more obviously 'Water Pipit' and it looks to have two good whitish wing bars (although it's a shame the upperparts are in shadow). I take your point that it's difficult to be sure it's a Water Pipit from one picture, but this one really doesn't look much like a littoralis to me.

evenin all

alstrom and mild state that most petrosus/littoralis are not safely assignable to subspecies, mainly as some petrosus are very similar to littoralis

what are the features in the original pics separating the bird from a bog-standard petrosus?

post 15 appears to show a Wapit

Last edited:
Tim,

Look at the rockit photos in that book and tell me how many relate to 100% certain petrosus given date and location. By my reckoning there were none. If that is how seriously they tackled the issue I would hardly call it rigorous - just one photo of a bird in summer at a British nest site would have been a start.

My experience of birds at British nesting areas is that they sometimes have a blue-grey tint to the head. I have never seen one that looked like a classic littoralis. I know people have seen them on occasion but they are rare, so if it looks like sum plum lit then it's probably 'cos it is one.

In winter plumage some people think they can be separated and some think they can't. Try my approach with birds in South Cumbria - watch them all winter and form some views then see how they look before they depart in spring.

Stephen.

thanks Stephen

Per Alstrom is pretty rigourous as a rule....I know very little about this area of British Birding and would appreciate some help to make headway with it....it's like walking thru treacle for me!

anyone shed any light on the bird in the pic though?

Almost certain the bird at the very top is littoralis - wouldn't put the mortgage on it.. but I'd bet my optics on it... Post 15 - undies look good for Wapit, mantle lines don't though... face pattern not brilliant either... can't see the second outermost TF!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back