• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding hols (1 Viewer)

sparky60

Hi, thinking of visiting Spain in April/may 2015 for a week with hubby. we are both birding beginners, also husband uses camera. Can anyone share tips for where to go in |Spain (thinking Puerto Pollenca) Any recommended Hotels. Also how do others carry Bins, Scope and camera equipment? Cheers

Hi again Sparky

If you follow this link it will take you various Opus articles of places to visit in Spain (most of the information has been added by our members).

lso how do others carry Bins, Scope and camera equipment?

With difficulty LOL - sorry.

Do you mean carry - as on take on a plane, or carry around with you when birding?

Do you mean "Puerto Pollensa" on Mallorca? That area is mentioned in several of the articles, which you can access from this page.

You could also ask for more specific advice in this forum.

Yes Mallorca is a great place without doubt, for beginners. The S'Albufera bird reserve near Alcudia (towards Can Picafort) is a great place to visit as it has hides which give you a great introduction to a variety of birds. You can get there by bus if you have no hire car, from Port Pollenca.

Port Pollenca is good itself as you have the famous Pine Walk, and you can get to Formentor Peninsula (go early to avoid coaches of tourists) and to Cuber Reservoir up in the mountains. Car necessary for both.

Hotels? Well there are lots, depending on budget. Depends what exactly you want and whether you will be on foot.

Would recommend Puerto Pollenca,as I was there this year.Plenty good sites around the resort Itself,plus S'Albufera Is a half hour bus trip away or even quicker by car.

I enjoyed It so much,I have already booked for next year again.

My technique for travelling is to have a Lowepro camera bag as my carry-on luggage for my big lens and as much other camera gear as I can get in it, and wear a multi-pocket fisherman's/photographer's waistcoat to hold the rest without having to put any expensive stuff in the hold.

John

Hi, thinking of visiting Spain in April/may 2015 for a week with hubby. we are both birding beginners, also husband uses camera. Can anyone share tips for where to go in |Spain (thinking Puerto Pollenca) Any recommended Hotels. Also how do others carry Bins, Scope and camera equipment? Cheers

Mallorcan hotels very cheap. We paid less than £25 per night for a nice self catering family studio at the end of May.

Agree, you can't do much better than Mallorca as an easy holiday on a lovely island with stacks of birds in April/May. And Puerto Pollensa (its Spanish name) / Port de Pollença (in Catalan) is as good as anywhere. Try the local buses, as Wolfbirder says, pretty reliable and quite cheap.

thanks for you replies to my sketchy/vague query. After checking various threads on B.F. searching google for info looks like Mallorca is best option (had considered Lesvos but package hols don't start til May and we prefer to go April). With regard to carrying equipment thanks John this is what I was looking for re equipment. Gonna use Jet2 as hand luggage allowance is 10kg and suitcase 22kg. Hubby has a Lowepro packpack for his camera gear so will use this as hand luggage. I'm looking for small suitcase suitable for hand luggage for Bins and Scope with tripod packed into larger suitcase.
From your replies and internet search there are many hotels with easy access to local buses so may be able to get by without hiring a car. Haven't driven abroad before but may give it a go. B

I've been using a Lowepro Classified 200w for several years as my carry on bag. It is highly recommended as it is well made and as it looks a bit like a chunky laptop bag doesn't attract a lot of attention despite having expensive binoculars plus camera and lenses inside. I'm not sure if it is still available, but there is bound to be a similar bag in their range - your choice will doubtless be governed by the size of the gear you need to transport ! Regarding destinations, Lesvos is a marvellous place and well worth considering. In mainland Spain the Coto Donana area is well known as a superb place for birding, although I personally think that you would need a car to get the most out the area.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back