• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (2 Viewers)

128 golden plover this afternoon with 200 + lapwing 1 buzzard and kestral 500 canada geese . Also bumpt intoSimon Elson SCC Steve Bailey BVCP and David .It seems to good to be true that they want what we do it is looking good Welcome Alex love to show you the plover on Sat 12 30 but from The Kiln as its better veiws and be able to show you round from there.

250 + golden plover am but none this evening. Alex may have to change time to am it could be some thing to do with peregrine.

Can only go in the morning unfortunately so will keep fingers crossed but if there were 250 yesterday morning its looking good, any sightings of them today?

Alex

There is an article about Farnham Quarry on the front page of the Surrey Hants Star tonight, I think the area they describe is Tices....mostly about the dangers of dog walkers strolling about the unfenced areas.

Well we knew this was coming, see posts 292, 293 for example, not to mention numerous other accounts of dog walkers wandering into areas they should'nt have. Access should have been restricted from the start of the works, an own goal for Hanson I'm afraid!

John.

Is there any news on when the works will finish and the new hide?? I was down there last weekend and it seemed a long way from complete.

Is the new hide going to have restricted access?

Is there any news on when the works will finish and the new hide?? I was down there last weekend and it seemed a long way from complete.

Is the new hide going to have restricted access?

Hi Jared,

The latest news (now a few weeks old) that I have is the restoration was extended for 2 weeks, which should make it due to end about now. If they do not continue for a few more weeks I'm sure more restoration work will be done over the coming year and then in future years improvements made to the the site as it matures. The main concern for me at the moment is that the workings are completed so that there is no need to pump water out. So the workings can flood once again. I expect it will take at least two winters to achieve the highest water levels.

For the hide, on offer was made of a wooden hide then a modified shipping container. All were very nice but could be burnt down within days and would have to be locked to keep out local vandals, so restricting access to just a few regular birders and not the occasional visitor, After consultation with the regular birders it was decided that the hide will not be enclosed. It will be a screen type with a roof. Still luxury compared with nothing. I do not know when this wil be built.

Kevin

ps Please report any sightings on this forum or to Surrey Birders www.birders-online.co.uk/ The sightings collected over the years has helped towards the final restoration plan rather than being filied in and being a field.
Every record helps, also includes insects, plants and mammals etc

Last edited:
The remaining unfenced section by the mound has now been fenced off so no access to the workings is possible now. Viewing is only from the kiln as per Rich Horton's posting. No sign of the Golden Plover this morning, although upwards of 150 Lapwing were present which attracted the attentions of a Peregrine which made a couple of passes over the workings scattering the Lapwings & Gulls. It then flew off at speed towards the estate seemingly empty handed, (or taloned), the Lapwing then returned. Other birds seen included 13 + Snipe, 3 Egyptian Geese, 3 Reed Bunting, 6 + Skylark, & 4 + Meadow Pipit.

John.

21 Snipe mid-morning with at least 150 Lapwing and a singing Skylark. 2 Egyptian Geese also. I quite like the Kiln access at the moment as there are good views of the Gulls and Lapwing (and Golden Plover when they turn up). I did a little tracking as I walked around - tracks included Fox, Roe Deer and rather interestingly Muntjak. I have seen the latter once before but thought this was a one off.

Last edited:
Hi Kevin,

You mentioned you wanted records of plants and insects as well. Have any formal surveys of these been done (by Hanson or anyone else)? Has there been any moth trapping there for example?

I don't know if any of the Tice's regulars are into thier plants and insects, but if no-one else is interested, come the spring, I would be happy to take a look around the recording area and make some lists of the groups. Also, I will hopefully have a generator at some point in the new year, so I will be able to do some moth-trapping too.

A fairly brief trip for me today (11:45-13:00), and nothing much to add to Rich's and John's accounts. The sky was full of Lapwing as I arrived, the cause of which was revealed to be two Peregrines in the workings which flew up and headed east. There was also a Kestrel about. Gull numbers low while I was there, presumably due to the Peregrine. Bullfinch and Chiffchaff calling in the bushes.

Matt.

n.b. I know Rich S has since returned and had Golden Plover and Yellow-legged Gull this afternoon but no doubt he'll be along later to fill in.

Last edited:
Hi Kevin,

You mentioned you wanted records of plants and insects as well. Have any formal surveys of these been done (by Hanson or anyone else)? Has there been any moth trapping there for example?

I don't know if any of the Tice's regulars are into thier plants and insects, but if no-one else is interested, come the spring, I would be happy to take a look around the recording area and make some lists of the groups. Also, I will hopefully have a generator at some point in the new year, so I will be able to do some moth-trapping too.

Sean,

I have recorder Dragonflies and Butterflies at Tice's. Plants and invertebrates have been surveyed by Hansons although I have never seen anyone doing it. I am in the market for a Skinner trap and am also hoping for one in the new year. I wouldn't mind moth trapping there.

Species seen to date:

Butterflies:- Small Skipper, Essex Skipper, Large Skipper, Brimstone, Large White (Earliest 6th January 2008), Small White, Green-veined White, Orange Tip, Small Copper, Common Blue, Holly Blue, Red Admiral, Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Comma, Speckled Wood, Marbled White, Grayling, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Small Heath.

Dragonflies* :- Banded Demoiselle, Azure Damselfly, Common Blue Damselfly, Blue-tailed Damselfly, Red-eyed Damselfly, Common Hawker, Migrant Hawker, Southern Hawker, Golden-ringed Dragonfly, Brown Hawker, Emperor Dragonfly, Four-spotted Chaser, Broad-bodied Chaser, Black-tailed Skimmer, Common Darter, Ruddy Darter.

Rich

Last edited:
21 Snipe mid-morning with at least 150 Lapwing and a singing Skylark. 2 Egyptian Geese also. I quite like the Kiln access at the moment as there are good views of the Gulls and Lapwing (and Golden Plover when they turn up).

In between Dad's taxi trips I revisited and found a large number of Gulls on the workings. Three Yellow-legged Gulls (2 ad and 1 1w) were present and as Rich H and I viewed from the western edge 3 Golden Plover flew in and were still there as I left.

Not much about this morning but nice to bump into John. 4 Snipe flushed at various spots, 2 Green Sandpiper on the workings and at least 3 Skylark (1 still singing). Plenty of Meadow Pipits around and hundreds of Wood Pigeon over. It was all rather quiet and hope to see more this afternoon.

Not much to add to Rich's account, this morning was remarkable for the vis mig of Woodpigeon, I estimated at least 1200 between 08:00 & 10:00.

John.

Not much about this morning but nice to bump into John. 4 Snipe flushed at various spots, 2 Green Sandpiper on the workings and at least 3 Skylark (1 still singing). Plenty of Meadow Pipits around and hundreds of Wood Pigeon over. It was all rather quiet and hope to see more this afternoon.

Afternoon visit also unremarkable, that said six species of Gull were present including an adult Yellow-legged. Two Buzzards over the Meadow. Following a brew in Farnham I returned via the BWVR and noticed that no Gulls or Lapwings were on the workings - wonder if they had been buzzed by one of the Peregrines.

We went in yesterday from the Badshot Lea garage entrance and as previously reported found it all fenced off and unavailable.
Did get a Goldfinch and Siskin in the wooded area near the entrance.

Where is the access to the Kiln area?

Allan

30 + golden plover 3 pm 150+ lapwing 26 L B B gulls herring +BHGull . Just to keep you in the rembrant works should finish by the end of this week the sub contrator may be asked to do some tweeks but almost complete and looking so good . the hide i think will follow and access to it.The best veiws are from the Kiln St Geoges road .the reason why fences went up was because people with soppy dogs got stuck in the claly .

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back