• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mistle Thrush (1 Viewer)

oceans

As a child we used to regularly have at least one Mistle Thrush in our garden at feeding time....I havent seen a Mistle Thrush for years and years.
Anyone else seen them?

I definitely find them easier to see in the winter. I saw three this morning in a field 5 minutes from where I live.

First bird I spotted today, along with some fieldfares, it was singing on a fence post in the local countryside, I must admit it's the first in a few years.

I managed a quick photo but it was hand held and not very sharp.

Attachments

• 1354a-(Mistle-Thrush).jpg
    1354a-(Mistle-Thrush).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Hi there,
I have noticed more this winter than is usual, but did have quite a few singing males up in the mountains while doing a Hen Harrier survey this year also.
Harry

I agree with you Oceans. Used to see them around as a child, but in this corner of Surrey I haven't seen one for years. When we stayed on Romney Marsh last winter, there were flocks of thrushes (fieldfare, song thrush and mistle thrush) in the fields nearby, so it's obviously not the case in some parts of the country.

Merop said:
First bird I spotted today, along with some fieldfares, it was singing on a fence post in the local countryside, I must admit it's the first in a few years.

I managed a quick photo but it was hand held and not very sharp.
Lovely photo....ta.

This species is holding up its numbers locally quite well, especially compared to Song Thrush. I think that is because of the preponderance of Golf courses which seem to suit it. I'm still regularly getting flocks of 50+ in late autumn.

We've noticed that there are some around the area of our new house - quite close to the garden as well, as there's a holly bush over our bottom wall in an existing garden, which a Mistle Thrush was defending the other day. Hopefully we can encourage them over the wall once the garden is planted up (it's a brand new house with just bare soil at the moment).

We used to only see them in the local park near to the house we just moved from, as well as Fieldfare.

Saw one singing it's heart out down by the creek last week. For some reason they don't tend to visit the garden much though, or at least if they do it's the bottom which isn't visible from the house.

Richard

Not sure which Thrush I had singing today in the tree but it also copies the old fashioned football rattle that fans used to twirl, so if you cna name it from that then I can never be sure which one it was, but it really did sing sweetly!

I haven't seen one in while, in fact the last one I saw was about 8 months ago! Are they in decline, like the Song Thrush?

We are trying to attract them to the local patch, it has lots of berries, so they will probably come with a bit of work on lawns and berry trees.

Nina P said:
Not sure which Thrush I had singing today in the tree but it also copies the old fashioned football rattle that fans used to twirl, so if you cna name it from that then I can never be sure which one it was, but it really did sing sweetly!
Sounds like Mistle Thrush to me, Nina!

Andy.

Have to say: Mistle Thrushes are still very common in Norfolk. In the Brecks flocks of 50 or 60 are quite common: the Stone Curlew reserve at Weeting Heath is alive with them! I live in Broadland, and I get numbers on my Cotoneasters (and even my bird feeding station!) every morning! And VERY aggressive they are too!

oceans said:
As a child we used to regularly have at least one Mistle Thrush in our garden at feeding time....I havent seen a Mistle Thrush for years and years.
Anyone else seen them?

Hi,
Well it's certainly different around here. I am convinced they have been increasing in S.E.London for the past ten years or so. The cemetery down the road always has a few in summer, and the number increases in winter with flocks of 15-20 sometimes. Song thrushes on the other hand, hardly ever see them around here now!!!

Keith

I have seen the odd song thrush though not in my garden rather out walking where its a more natural enviroment.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back