• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk ID. (1 Viewer)

Bird and squirrel lover.
Snapped a couple shots just now of a hawk watching my feeders. The hawk is sitting on a neighbors wood pile which is exactly where my House Sparrow Roost hang out when they aren't eating my bird feed.

Central Nebraska

I am guessing Red Tailed Hawk.

Attachments

• Hawk.JPG
    Hawk.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Hawk 1.JPG
    Hawk 1.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Hawk 2.JPG
    Hawk 2.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
I'd say it was a sharp-shinned hawk. The squared-off tail (with narrow white terminal band in one of the shots) strongly suggests that.

More specifically......the brown colouring (and the white spotting) suggests juvenile, size (although hard to judge) would make it female, but square, almost-notchy tail would make it male.

Awesome, I was socked to this fella, its the second time I have spotted which is odd as I live in the center of town but anyways , I accidentally had picture 1 and 3 the same, I corrected the issue and #3 is now different.

Thanks for the knowledge.

Nice shots! Two more tip-offs to it being a Sharpie (rather than a Coops) are the smaller beak and the rounded (not square) head shape.

Yes, agree with Sharp-shinned. That long tail and small size would have ruled out Red-tailed, which is almost twice the size of a Sharpie. Hard to tell, sometimes, with no other birds around for comparison. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back