• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x42 slc-neu HD (1 Viewer)

Can anyone point me in the direction of a review/discussion on the 10x42 HD SLCs?
Thanks
Jonathan

Try this one. There has not been a lot of discussion or full reviews.
They sound like a great choice.

Jerry

Attachments

• Ginkel.2010.Test.42mm.binoculars.pdf
    455 KB · Views: 147
I am so glad I started this thread.
What I want to get is opinions on the Swaro SLC 10x42 HD binoculars. Note not the Swarovision ELs.
Sixteen posts later and not one person has commented on the bins I am interested in. Instead we have yet another esoteric discussion that is, from my point of view at least, completely off-topic and utterly useless.
Call me a killjoy if you will, but why not think before you post? Perhaps even look at the thread title and initial post. I am perhaps being a tad impolite, and unconducive to getting a positive and useful response, but c'mon guys, read the sixteen posts and ask yourselves what, in my shoes, you would make of it?
Rgds
Jonathan

Jonathan,

The focuser issue applies to all Swaros, so that's not completely off-topic, but the backbiting is. I apologize for my part in it.

Okay, not sure if you've read this, but here's a review of the 10x42 SLC-HD. The review starts out with the word "WOW"! in all caps, which should give you an idea of where the reviewer is heading.

http://blog.cjwriting.com/2010/11/22/swarovski-slc-10x42-hd-review/

Here's another (the photo is of the SLC-Neu, but the review is of a HD with a "buttery smooth" focuser!):

http://www.opticsreview.com/2010/08/07/swarovski-slc-hd-binoculars/

You might also want to check the hunting optics forums on 24hourcampfire and Optics Talk since the 10x42 SLC is more popular with hunters than birders.

Brock

Last edited:
What I want to get is opinions on the Swaro SLC 10x42 HD binoculars.

Jonathan,

I don't wish to be impolite either but are you interested in buying this bin?
I can fully understand beginners asking for advice on a first purchase but if you are demanding enough to require a bin in this price category, why would you be interested in the opinions of others and could they be relied upon anyway?
Swarovski's reliability and service are beyond doubt and the other qualities of the SLC HD, which are relevant to you can only be judged by you alone.

John

Jonathan, There isn't a whole lot of reviews on this binocular, jgraider on here bought the Swaro 10x42 SLC HD on the 30% off sale on LL Bean site and seems to like it. From reading his posts I don't think he would of bought it at full price.

Last edited:
Jonathan,

I don't wish to be impolite either but are you interested in buying this bin?
I can fully understand beginners asking for advice on a first purchase but if you are demanding enough to require a bin in this price category, why would you be interested in the opinions of others and could they be relied upon anyway?
Swarovski's reliability and service are beyond doubt and the other qualities of the SLC HD, which are relevant to you can only be judged by you alone.

John

What an absurd post! I thought the whole idea of this forum was the exchange of opinions and observations, along with trying binos out. Just because he was trying to get some reasonable answers to a legitimate question is no reason to make him feel like he has no business asking for the opinions.

And in my experience with Swaro's, I find them no more reliable than a lot of midprice Chinese bins.

Tom

Jonathan,

Boy,- I am sure you are thrilled that you started this thread and tried to get some honest opinions here! :h?:

Pretty pathetic really.

I wish I could be of some use to you, but I do not know of many reviews to point you towards and I really only have experience with the SLC line, El's and the new CL. I have not seen the SV or the HD except for a few minutes in the Cabelas store by me. I will say that based on my experience with the SLC NEU, they should be outstanding. I know if it was me and I was going to upgrade to the upper Swaro lines, I would probably buy the HD instead of the SV- for a few reasons and the rolling ball effect would be one of them. But what I would do does not really help you in your decision.

I know that you were not looking for any comments regarding Swarovski's reliability in your OP, but as far as the Swaro's not being more reliable than the mid-priced China bins as the previous poster stated- well IMO that is just hogwash- as I am sure you already know.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
Jonathan,

Boy,- I am sure you are thrilled that you started this thread and tried to get some honest opinions here! :h?:

Pretty pathetic really.

I wish I could be of some use to you, but I do not know of many reviews to point you towards and I really only have experience with the SLC line, El's and the new CL. I have not seen the SV or the HD except for a few minutes in the Cabelas store by me. I will say that based on my experience with the SLC NEU, they should be outstanding. I know if it was me and I was going to upgrade to the upper Swaro lines, I would probably buy the HD instead of the SV- for a few reasons and the rolling ball effect would be one of them. But what I would do does not really help you in your decision.

I know that you were not looking for any comments regarding Swarovski's reliability in your OP, but as far as the Swaro's not being more reliable than the mid-priced China bins as the previous poster stated- well IMO that is just hogwash- as I am sure you already know.

Good luck in your search.

I see you edited out your comments on resale values and repairs in 10-15 years as being the deciding factor in the swaros over the others.
My opinion is based on the percentage of Swaros I have sent in for repair versus my other bins. And my opinion is also starting to align more lately with Brocks, in that the focuser on the Swaros is a REAL detriment and more than an imagined problem.

We are getting somewhere! Thanks all.

The reason for my interest is that I don't have a pair of 10x bins, and when out without a scope, I found the extra power useful. I swapped (via a sale and a buy) a pair of 10x ultras for some 8x ultra HDs a while back. I think I miss 10x.

When it came to buying bins, I also looked at the Zeiss victorys and the Swaro ELs (old ones). I did not like the feel of the Zeiss, I did not like the bulk of the Swaros. I liked everything about the Leicas, so I bought them. Though when I pick up a friend's Swaro ELs today I still get a "wow" feeling on the ergonomics front, despite the size.

I feel like a bit of a change away from Leicas, nothing wrong with them, but I have some already. In the 10x configuration, it's really a choice between Ultravid HD and Swarovision ELs, or so I thought. Then I saw that Swaro made these SLC HDs. Smaller than ELs, but with the same quality, the same customer service (which I have had call to use for my scope, and it is superb in all respects). Looking around for reviews did not find me many, so I came here. Obviously I would go and try a pair somewhere before plunking down a pile of cash, but I felt that some personal thoughts from BF users would not be a bad thing.

Rgds
Jonathan

What an absurd post! I thought the whole idea of this forum was the exchange of opinions and observations, along with trying binos out. Just because he was trying to get some reasonable answers to a legitimate question is no reason to make him feel like he has no business asking for the opinions.

And in my experience with Swaro's, I find them no more reliable than a lot of midprice Chinese bins.

Tom

And what an ill-considered post!

I took the trouble to look at Jonathan's blog (did you?) and, despite his modest denials he is obviously an experienced birder and very competent bird photographer. His subsequent clarification reinforces my opinion that he is unlikely to obtain any reliable appraisals, which could be of significant help to him.

We all know that many published tests, while being of some help to beginners, are not to be relied upon. Cornell seem to take the mean of a number of inexperienced observers and Ginkel in his extensive test of 42 mm bins gets mixed up between distortion, field curvature and astigmatism. He also seems to have a thing about ski goggles, an important birding accessory!

You may be aware that Swarovski have changed from positive focussing groups to negative groups and that the EL design would also have required radical changes to the focussing mechanism resulting in numerous permutations. Your generalizations cannot therefore be regarded as statistically significant, unless of course you are one of those dubious wheeler dealers like another BF member, who shall remain nameless.

John

I see you edited out your comments on resale values and repairs in 10-15 years as being the deciding factor in the swaros over the others.
My opinion is based on the percentage of Swaros I have sent in for repair versus my other bins. And my opinion is also starting to align more lately with Brocks, in that the focuser on the Swaros is a REAL detriment and more than an imagined problem.

Boy, lilcrazy- you must have been watching this thread like a Swarovski Hawk if you picked up that I edited my post after 2-3 minutes of posting it. I did this post last night at 12 PM PST, and what is that in Delaware time?- 3 AM. Thanks for pointing out my edit. I did it (the edit) to not be too off track, plus what in the original post had anything to do with Swarovski reliability vs. Chinese bins?? I only mentioned it in my post because you brought it up. And as far as your percentage of sending in Swarovski bins for repair, how many -what percentage of those Swaro bins did you actually buy New, and what percentage was it second hand bins? Also by the way, how did Swarovski treat you on those repairs for those used bins that you sent in?? My guess is pretty well- because one thing is for sure about their reliability- is their service. Some may come close (match) to their level of service, but......no one beats them. They are IMO simply the best in that dept.

But, as long as you brought it (my edit last night) up, here is the gist of what I said:

I mentioned that one could buy a Swarovski Bin and a China Bin and then after about 10-15 years if you decided to sell them both, see what the collective market resale says about comparable value. That is one possible indication to me about what the market thinks about overall reliability. Or put another way, if the China bin needs repairs after 15 years and you want to send it in for repair- see how that goes for you. It's possible, if the company is even still around , they may not have parts for your bin. Plus it would probably not even be worth it, easier to just buy the latest inexpensive Chinese one.

Jonathan,

I would see if you can get your hands on some of these Swaro's at a dealer and try and do a detailed side by side. I think you would really like the HD if you are already fond of the Swarovski bino's. Or you could maybe just save your self a bunch of coin and buy a China bin, ;) but I do not think based on your posts, (and the Mention of Swaro's, Zeiss and Leica) that is what you are looking for. And I think personally you are on the right track.

Cheers

Last edited:
Boy, lilcrazy- you must have been watching this thread like a Swarovski Hawk if you picked up that I edited my post after 2-3 minutes of posting it. I did this post last night at 12 PM PST, and what is that in Delaware time?- 3 AM. Thanks for pointing out my edit. I did it (the edit) to not be too off track, plus what in the original post had anything to do with Swarovski reliability vs. Chinese bins?? I only mentioned it in my post because you brought it up. And as far as your percentage of sending in Swarovski bins for repair, how many -what percentage of those Swaro bins did you actually buy New, and what percentage was it second hand bins? Also by the way, how did Swarovski treat you on those repairs for those used bins that you sent in?? My guess is pretty well- because one thing is for sure about their reliability- is their service. Some may come close (match) to their level of service, but......no one beats them. They are IMO simply the best in that dept.

But, as long as you brought it (my edit last night) up, here is the gist of what I said:

I mentioned that one could buy a Swarovski Bin and a China Bin and then after about 10-15 years if you decided to sell them both, see what the collective market resale says about comparable value. That is one possible indication to me about what the market thinks about overall reliability. Or put another way, if the China bin needs repairs after 15 years and you want to send it in for repair- see how that goes for you. It's possible, if the company is even still around , they may not have parts for your bin. Plus it would probably not even be worth it, easier to just buy the latest inexpensive Chinese one.

Jonathan,

I would see if you can get your hands on some of these Swaro's at a dealer and try and do a detailed side by side. I think you would really like the HD if you are already fond of the Swarovski bino's. Or you could maybe just save your self a bunch of coin and buy a China bin, ;) but I do not think based on your posts, (and the Mention of Swaro's, Zeiss and Leica) that is what you are looking for. And I think personally you are on the right track.

Cheers

Stephen:

I agree with you on your post, you have covered things just like I would.

Crazy, seems to live up to the name, and has proven it again. :-O

Jerry

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back