• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dealing with Wind? (1 Viewer)

CalvinFold

So maybe this is a dumb or naïve question, but figured I'd ask since it's a problem:

Is there any "trick" to dealing with wind vibrating the setup (scope + camera + tripod), or do digiscopers simply avoid windy conditions altogether?

When I say "wind" I mean around 16 kph semi-steady breeze or 12+ kph gusty conditions (slower steady breeze with bursts of higher speeds).

Does anyone here have pointers on "if the wind is stronger than X, I just don't bother."

Problem is most of my best shooting is coastal/bay marshlands and scrub, which tend towards windy/gusty a good chunk of the time. And of course no shelter, sometimes not even a tree or low bush.

I've solved the problem somewhat with weight of, or hung from, the tripod (5-7 kg total weight helps quite a bit). Also found being low to the ground helps (sitting vs. standing). Already use a remote shutter release. But I can't exactly get gallery-quality photos on those tips alone. |:D|

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
My Birdforum Gallery
--
08/17/13 @ 6:48 AM PT

I've solved the problem somewhat with weight of, or hung from, the tripod (5-7 kg total weight helps quite a bit). Also found being low to the ground helps (sitting vs. standing). Already use a remote shutter release.

Those were as far as I got, I was thinking of getting a wind break (I did use the car door on occasions, but you can't do that on a cliff face LOL).

Here are some examples. First two are wind-induced, third one is about as good as it gets in the same conditions with a little luck. Distance is about 100m, photo has been scaled down for forum guidelines.

Basically I tend to take alot of shots in burst mode...3-5 photos as fast as the camera can...to try and catch motion and/or catch something without excessive vibration. Since the wind is often gusty, it will die-down just long enough for the sheer weight of my setup to stop the vibrating and get a decent photo. ;-p

Attachments

• 130813_OBRS_WhiteTailedKite_MouthOpen_rt_forum.jpg
    130813_OBRS_WhiteTailedKite_MouthOpen_rt_forum.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 130813_OBRS_WhiteTailedKite_Preening_01_rt_forum.jpg
    130813_OBRS_WhiteTailedKite_Preening_01_rt_forum.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 130813_OBRS_WhiteTailedKite_Stare_rt_forum.jpg
    130813_OBRS_WhiteTailedKite_Stare_rt_forum.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Given that you are taking shots from 100 meters ....and the wind is blowing...best of luck. Any slightest movement caused by you or the wind just goes against basic laws of physics in regards to blurring your image a bit.

You can as suggested, use your car as a shield, perhaps use a window mount and sit inside etc.... or you can hover closer to the ground and wrap a blanket around you and your gear. jim

Well then, I guess I'll consider the third photo in that series posted above "pretty good" considering the conditions. |:D|

The location I shoot at is not car accessible, it's off a paved train in a protected shoreline area. Also don't have a car. |:p|

I've since picked-up an anemometer: 10mph (16 kph) seems to be about the point where wind at both ends (blowing my equipment or blowing the subject) starts making taking a photos a lost cause.

One positive, my usual shooting location is shielded from the wind if it comes mostly from behind me. Also shielded from direct morning sun for 2-3 hours after sunrise, which is when I'm usually out taking photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back