• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Experience-Review Canon EOS 1DX (1 Viewer)

bubo_bubo

Hello Canonists:

After I had written a review about the Canon EOS 1 Mark IV not too long ago, the review for the Canon EOS 1DX may be a little bit early. But I think, I write only a short review, because I 'm often asked about my experiences with the 1DX. Mainly from photographers who (still) use the Canon EOS 1 Mark IV.

For those who want to read something from the daily practice, some information material. My current conclusion is, that I am very satisfied with the camera. The decision to switch from the Canon EOS 1D Mark IV was just right. The AF is highly accurate and has become even faster. The resolution, image quality and operating performance are absolutely at the top level. However, you should not expect miracles. In the right – this mean – challenging situations still a lot of scrap remains. Nevertheless, the perfect camera for nature photography.

Here is the field report http://www.bird-lens.com/2013/11/19/canon-eos-1dx-experience-review/ ; (also available in German: http://www.bird-lens.com/2013/10/15/canon-eos-1dx-ein-erfahrungsbericht/)
Images that were shot exclusively with the EOS 1 DX, are here: http://www.bird-lens.com/photos-2/northern-goshawk-in-flight/northern-goshawk-12/ or http://www.bird-lens.com/photos-2/pelagic-birds-off-shore-isles-of-scilly/ Not really highly sophisticated photo art, but the images show, for you can use the camera very well.

Have fun!

Greetings

Johannes

www.bird-lens.com

Thanks for your review!
I cannot really add anything as I have only had my camera for about 10 days and have had little opportunity to use it in the field.
What I have found is that the high ISO performance is better by 1 stop+ compared to my 1D4 and the AF is certainly snappier on my 800 F5.6.
This camera is growing on me but it is a bit of a learning curve due to the new button placements and more options.

nice, i will only switch to a full frame when it has enough pixels so that i have no need anymore for a crop sensor (1,3 1d mark 4)

To have the same photo's (after cropping), the full frame has to have at least 28 mp or more .

Interesting to read you have acquired a 1DX John.I have thought about it but for me the major drawback besides the cost is the lack of a high speed silent shutter. I wouldn't expect the same fps rate as the noisy one but I find it invaluable on my 5D3 and have it set at that most of the time. I only keep my 1D4 for those occasions that I need high fps such as my upcoming Dolphin watching trip were fps is paramount to capture the action.
As for fx vs dx, I'm no expert in the subject but to me it appears that the image quality of a cropped 5D3 shot at 30% is certainly the match if not better than that of the uncropped 1D4.

nice, i will only switch to a full frame when it has enough pixels so that i have no need anymore for a crop sensor (1,3 1d mark 4)

To have the same photo's (after cropping), the full frame has to have at least 28 mp or more .
Also to get the same pixels and FOV as a 7D (1.6 crop) you would need a 45mp full frame. Mind you I have sold my 7D and now only use a full frame (5d3), pixels are not the be all and end all of quality images.

Also to get the same pixels and FOV as a 7D (1.6 crop) you would need a 45mp full frame. Mind you I have sold my 7D and now only use a full frame (5d3), pixels are not the be all and end all of quality images.

ok, but the birds will not be larger in the photo after cropping "and holding the quality" opposed the 7D i reckon

ok, but the birds will not be larger in the photo after cropping "and holding the quality" opposed the 7D i reckon
You are right in as much as a cropped 5D3 image(or any full frame) will not yield as much detail as the 7D from the same spot- I have tried it.
But if you are not reach limited then the full frame with give better quality images. I notice most of the top USA birders who seem to have unlimited resources to buy lenses like the 600/4 Is MkII all seem to shoot with the 1DX.

I notice most of the top USA birders who seem to have unlimited resources to buy lenses like the 600/4 Is MkII all seem to shoot with the 1DX.

ok, but i like to be mobile with a smaller lens like the 300mm f2,8 + extender , so i want a crop sensor or a full frame in the future wit a higher number of pixels . I am first a birdwatcher and then a photographer .With a 600 or even a 500mm there is little room to move and to observe the birds with a scope or binocular.

Interesting to read you have acquired a 1DX John.I have thought about it but for me the major drawback besides the cost is the lack of a high speed silent shutter. I wouldn't expect the same fps rate as the noisy one but I find it invaluable on my 5D3 and have it set at that most of the time. I only keep my 1D4 for those occasions that I need high fps such as my upcoming Dolphin watching trip were fps is paramount to capture the action.
As for fx vs dx, I'm no expert in the subject but to me it appears that the image quality of a cropped 5D3 shot at 30% is certainly the match if not better than that of the uncropped 1D4.

The local wildlife don't seem to mind noisy shutters here in South Wales - they are obviously much more wary up north! Having said that I do use silent mode under some circumstances.
The main reasons I went for the 1Dx were that having the 800 F5.6 reach wasn't such an issue and the silly ISO capabilities make up for the F5.6 aperture. Secondly (the main reason) it was CHEAP! It cost me 100 quid less than my 1D4 did + the batteries work! Admittedly I did have to teach it to speak English, but it did come with a UK manual and mains lead - so no big deal. Also the 1200 quid saving was helpful in my decision.
My observations so far are that AF is faster, 8000 iso is fine (12800 far from bad), IQ is better and images can be cropped quite severely, all controls feel better than previous 1 series. I am still getting to grips with it but so far all is positive.

You obviously know where to look for a bargain John ! I'm sure you won't regret the move,if the right deal came along I would swop my 1D4 for a 1DX without a doubt.I'm not convinced by the AF capabilities for moving subjects with the 5D3,it's not as effective as the 1D4 but that of course could be me. The only time you need high speed fps is for moving subjects so the noise would not be an issue.

Just got a 1DX first time out with it and i am amazed by the images that it took on a very dull day and at iso that i would have never used with my old body and the images can be cropped and retain great detail

Just got a 1DX first time out with it and i am amazed by the images that it took on a very dull day and at iso that i would have never used with my old body and the images can be cropped and retain great detail

with my 1d mark 4 i have 780mm (300mm 2,8+ 2x extender) with the 1d x it would be 600mm ; can i crop the images from a 1dx enough to make the same images as with my 1d mark 4 : i don't think so !!

with my 1d mark 4 i have 780mm (300mm 2,8+ 2x extender) with the 1d x it would be 600mm ; can i crop the images from a 1dx enough to make the same images as with my 1d mark 4 : i don't think so !!

I have not had a chance to compare images taken at the same time, place, distance and lens yet, what I can confirm is that I am significantly happier with both my 800 F5.6 and 300 F2.8 + 2 x Mk3 extender. Just as important I am obtaining low noise images at iso settings that I simply wouldn't use with the 1D4.
I have used both crop and FF cameras for about 7 years now and both have their pros and cons but the 1D4 is up for sale so I think you can guess at my opinion of the 1DX.

I have not had a chance to compare images taken at the same time, place, distance and lens yet, what I can confirm is that I am significantly happier with both my 800 F5.6 and 300 F2.8 + 2 x Mk3 extender. .

ok, please compare if you have the chance..

ok, please compare if you have the chance..

No need I am already fully convinced the 1Dx is better than the 1D4, as are 2 of my friends who have played with the files it produces. I agree it is a shame to loose the crop factor but other factors outweigh this.
If I get the time I will try a comparison but as my pack is already nudging 50 lbs I really don't want to add more!

I think the gain in image quality at high isos outweighs the perceived loss in detail when cropped

When you are limited in tele lenses and you want to walk around with your lens (so no large tele's) you have to crop and so is the crop factor welcome, unless the full frame's come with a 28 - 35 mp i don't buy one.

When you are limited in tele lenses and you want to walk around with your lens (so no large tele's) you have to crop and so is the crop factor welcome, unless the full frame's come with a 28 - 35 mp i don't buy one.

I agree that the 1.3/1.6 crop can be handy where one is focal length limited and/or mobility is required. There is the old adage that getting closer is always better but this is not always practical/safe so longer lenses & smaller sensors can be handy.
I am in the fortunate position that I have Canon's longest standard lens so it is less of an issue for me but I do find that my 300mm seems shorter than it used to be so I need to get a little closer or frame differently for best results. I find the move to FF, for my wildlife photography, to be worth it - others may disagree.

I know the the 1Dx produces better images than the 1D mark 4 with my 600 f4 so it should be the same for a 300 and a 2x extender.
More pixels does not also make the image any better it is down to the quality of the sensor.
Full frame is the way to going

Obviously the 1DX gives far superior images - compared to say the 7D - of birds that are a reasonable size in the frame, especially at high ISOs, but very many of the bird photos I take are of rarities which are 'miles away', with the bird often about the size of the central focussing square in my 7D.
I would be most interested to know how the 1DX compares when cropping to such extreme degrees. A comparison of a small passerine photographed at about 150m with say a 7D and an 800mm f5.6 or a 600 f4 and the same bird at the same range with the same lens but a 1DX would be most enlightening. Does the much higher number of 'pixels per bird' of the 7D not count heavily in its favour when cropping to this extreme degree? And does the 1DX not really come into its own as long as one is not cropping to such 'rare bird extremes'?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back