• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x42 SLC ED focus wheel (1 Viewer)

justabirdwatcher, how exciting - I hope you enjoy your binocs for long time :) I recently got my EL 8.5x42 and know the feeling.

On my swarovision the focus knob is very smooth and turns quite lightly - no stickiness at all. I noticed some members reported the spring loaded focus knob showing slightly different resistance as you focus. I have no such experience with mine. I could be wrong but was under the impression that Swarovski uses lubricant-free design pretty much like Leica (they use teflon discs).

justabirdwatcher, how exciting - I hope you enjoy your binocs for long time :) I recently got my EL 8.5x42 and know the feeling.

On my swarovision the focus knob is very smooth and turns quite lightly - no stickiness at all. I noticed some members reported the spring loaded focus knob showing slightly different resistance as you focus. I have no such experience with mine. I could be wrong but was under the impression that Swarovski uses lubricant-free design pretty much like Leica (they use teflon discs).

Some guys have all the luck... you got yourself a good'un. Only one out of the five modern Swaros I tried had a smooth focuser like yours, the rest had some degree of stickiness, from merely turning a bit harder in one direction than the other to taking two fingers to turn.

I also tried a 20-year-old SLC that had a smooth turning focuser, but it wasn't waterproof and probably didn't have the one-way spring like the modern models. Swaro doesn't use a lubricant-free design like Leica, the focuser needs lubrication, and after years that lube can dry up or break down from continued exposure to the elements, which you would expect, but I've experienced focuser issues in brand new models, so the problems are not due to the lubricant.

It's a design flaw that some diehard fans and Swaro refuse to recognize. Instead, Swaro just fixes 'em up when owners send them in for repairs. Some get their bins back with smooth focusers, others better, but not totally smooth. Apparently, it's less costly to do the repairs than redesigning the focuser.

Swarovski's largest consumer group is hunters. Fine focusing isn't important to them, so if they redesigned the focusers, it would be to please namby–pamby birders who bought samples with less than optimal focusers and want them to work perfectly.

What's a real mystery is why some buyers like you receive samples with focusers that turn smoothly. After all, if the one-way spring were the culprit, as has been suggested, shouldn't ALL samples be at least a little harder to turn in one direction than the other? And why are some new samples worse than others if they all use the same mechanical parts? Something's fishy here, and so far, I have not caught the fish.

Brock

Last edited:
Hi Brock, sorry to hear about the bad experience with all the Swaros you tested. The store where I bought mine had 3 models on display (EL8x10, 8.5x42 and 10x42), I tested them all three and they all seemed to have a smooth focus knob (perhaps a touch smoother then the Leica Ultravides I tested a month earlier). Assuming all Swaros are made in the same Austrian factory and undergo rigorous 100% quality check they claim, there should be no such big variations. Maybe they have changed the design in their latest models.

I always thought Swarovski marketing has positioned birders as their primary customer group - just my impression of the brand.

It would be nice to have a Swaro rep. address the issues such as the focuser or the RB effect some users have raised - I guess I am the lucky one not seeing any of these :)

Cheers

The focuser of my new 10x50SV is about as good as it gets to me.
Even tension in both directions, a little bit tighter than I'm used of Swarovski but it is buttery smooth without any stiction.

My 8x32SV on the other hand is currently on holiday in Absam for some focuser TLC. It almost felt like winding a watch when going from near infinity to close, and it was getting annoying as that is exactly the part of the focuser range what I mostly use. It also was a bit too light for my taste. At close focus, it was acceptable.
I have the utmost confidence that it will be solved at Swarovski, and I'm looking forward to have it back.

Swarovski's largest consumer group is hunters. Fine focusing isn't important to them

LOL.

I see a lot more birders with Swaro's than I do hunters. Only the affluent birders can afford them. The majority of hunters are not in a position financially to afford them.

And fine focus is extremely important to hunters like myself. The slow focus of the EL SV is one of it's greatest attributes to me. .

LOL.

I see a lot more birders with Swaro's than I do hunters. Only the affluent birders can afford them. The majority of hunters are not in a position financially to afford them.

Cabela's, Bass Pro and Sportsman's Warehouse are the three big box outdoor retailers in my area and all have a strong focus on the hunting market. The reps at all of these stores consistently tell me Vortex is a big seller, especially the Diamondback. That seems to goes along with the last sentence from JustaBirdWatcher.

(Note the use of the word "focus" in the first sentence. That keeps me on topic. ;))

Always amusing, the differences between the US and Europe. In most parts of Europe, this statement would be hilarious.

Part of it stems from the fact that most any rural American seems to have a gun and hunts something.I would think in Europe the hunting culture is more upscale, more of a luxury.

I know, I'm stereotyping, but that's the impression many people have, true or not.

Yes, probably a bit stereotyping, but moreless how it is, I guess.

Anyway, I think birders or hunters, this side of the pond or the other, basically every one can affort a good binocular. That's just 2000 $. It's only a question what the priorities are.

More Focuser Issues

It's a design flaw that some diehard fans and Swaro refuse to recognize. Instead, Swaro just fixes 'em up when owners send them in for repairs. Some get their bins back with smooth focusers, others better, but not totally smooth. Apparently, it's less costly to do the repairs than redesigning the focuser.

This was my experience. Got a great deal on new SLC 10x42's...LOVE the optics, but wasn't real excited about the focuser. After a couple of weeks, the jerky resistance (equal both directions) turned into a dry o-ring type squeaky sound! Swarovski claims the focuser is comprised of all metal parts, no o-rings? Received back from Swaro as they did replace the focuser under warranty. Is it better, maybe a little. When trying to sneak up on a razor sharp fov focus, the grabing, jerky resistance is still some what there, making me overshoot a super fine detailed image. However once there, the image is Sublime!! I've already decided to give these SLC's a full hunting season of break in activity, maybe that is all the focuser needs!? If only Swarovski could incorporate the absolutely stunning smoothness and precision of the Leupold GR 8x42 HD's focuser (already own & focus smoothness is clearly better then any EL's, HT's, FL's and UV+'s I've tested), while maintaining the superb optics the SLC's poses, I'd be in Bino Heaven! o:D I really don't believe I'm expecting too much for the optic $$$ I've invested in.
And fine focus is extremely important to hunters like myself.
AGREED!!! The SLC's offer excellent low light resolution, contrast and sharpness that a "Buttery Smooth Fine Focus" would compliment while trying to discern antler size and points...Come on Swarovski, You Can Do This!!! :t:

Ted

Hi Brock, sorry to hear about the bad experience with all the Swaros you tested. The store where I bought mine had 3 models on display (EL8x10, 8.5x42 and 10x42), I tested them all three and they all seemed to have a smooth focus knob (perhaps a touch smoother then the Leica Ultravides I tested a month earlier). Assuming all Swaros are made in the same Austrian factory and undergo rigorous 100% quality check they claim, there should be no such big variations. Maybe they have changed the design in their latest models.

I always thought Swarovski marketing has positioned birders as their primary customer group - just my impression of the brand.

It would be nice to have a Swaro rep. address the issues such as the focuser or the RB effect some users have raised - I guess I am the lucky one not seeing any of these :)

Cheers

King Parrot,

Not all the Swaro bins I tested had less than smooth focusers. Two turned smoothly, but one of those was made 20 years earlier and wasn't WP so it probably had a different focus mechanism than modern Swaros. The other was an 8x32 EL made in 2009.

Four out of six bins had focusers that turned less than smoothly, and two of those four were only slightly harder to turn in one direction than the other. The 10x42 SLC-HD I could have lived with, because I don't do close-in birding with 10x bins. The oldest sample was the worst, taking two fingers to turn in one direction. The focuser was "gritty" and needed servicing, though a hunter might not be bothered by it.

Another BF member tested three 8x30 ELs (non-SV) in a store and found all three were harder to turn in one direction than the other, with one sample being more "sticky" than the others. You tried three that were smooth, he tried three that were sticky.

We had another member report that Swaro brought a whole box of samples to a show and every one had "wonky" focusers! Another member said just the opposite, all the samples he tried at a show (not the same show) had smooth focusers.

While I can attribute some of this to the different user's subjective evaluation of what constitutes a smooth focuser, it's too prevalent to write it off all to user's tastes, and my own experience finding sample variation with Swaro focusers confirms that. It's a crap shoot.

One would hope that Swaro changed the design, but no, users are reporting the same issues with the new SLCs and the SV ELs. Some turn smoothly, some turn harder in one direction (I get the impression from reading BF that this is the "norm," but that it's usually a slight variation), and a few are really coarse and hard to turn, and this is right out of the box!

When you add in models that have been used for years, the number of users reporting samples with sticky, harder to turn in one direction, and coarse focusers increases. Some of those might have started out turning smoothly, I don't know. Next time someone reports this with an old sample, I will ask.

Hunters are still Swarovski's "bread and butter." I think that's why they haven't addressed this issue, that and they probably don't want to absorb the cost, because the prices of Swaros alphas are already so stratospheric they couldn't raise the price more and stay competitive.

The shame is that Swarovskis are otherwise excellent binoculars. When it comes to focusers, Nikon and Zeiss are the Kings. :king::king:

You just happen to be a lucky guy. Play the lottery! ;)

King Creole

King Parrot,

Not all the Swaro bins I tested had less than smooth focusers. Two turned smoothly, but one of those was made 20 years earlier and wasn't WP so it probably had a different focus mechanism than modern Swaros. The other was an 8x32 EL made in 2009.

Four out of six bins had focusers that turned less than smoothly, and two of those four were only slightly harder to turn in one direction than the other. The 10x42 SLC-HD I could have lived with, because I don't do close-in birding with 10x bins. The oldest sample was the worst, taking two fingers to turn in one direction. The focuser was "gritty" and needed servicing, though a hunter might not be bothered by it.

Another BF member tested three 8x30 ELs (non-SV) in a store and found all three were harder to turn in one direction than the other, with one sample being more "sticky" than the others. You tried three that were smooth, he tried three that were sticky.

We had another member report that Swaro brought a whole box of samples to a show and every one had "wonky" focusers! Another member said just the opposite, all the samples he tried at a show (not the same show) had smooth focusers.

While I can attribute some of this to the different user's subjective evaluation of what constitutes a smooth focuser, it's too prevalent to write it off all to user's tastes, and my own experience finding sample variation with Swaro focusers confirms that. It's a crap shoot.

One would hope that Swaro changed the design, but no, users are reporting the same issues with the new SLCs and the SV ELs. Some turn smoothly, some turn harder in one direction (I get the impression from reading BF that this is the "norm," but that it's usually a slight variation), and a few are really coarse and hard to turn, and this is right out of the box!

When you add in models that have been used for years, the number of users reporting samples with sticky, harder to turn in one direction, and coarse focusers increases. Some of those might have started out turning smoothly, I don't know. Next time someone reports this with an old sample, I will ask.

Hunters are still Swarovski's "bread and butter." I think that's why they haven't addressed this issue, that and they probably don't want to absorb the cost, because the prices of Swaros alphas are already so stratospheric they couldn't raise the price more and stay competitive.

The shame is that Swarovskis are otherwise excellent binoculars. When it comes to focusers, Nikon and Zeiss are the Kings. :king::king:

You just happen to be a lucky guy. Play the lottery! ;)

King Creole

Brock,

You should also keep track of the number of times you write about this subject.

Just a suggestion.:smoke:

Bob

This was my experience. Got a great deal on new SLC 10x42's...LOVE the optics, but wasn't real excited about the focuser. After a couple of weeks, the jerky resistance (equal both directions) turned into a dry o-ring type squeaky sound! Swarovski claims the focuser is comprised of all metal parts, no o-rings? Received back from Swaro as they did replace the focuser under warranty. Is it better, maybe a little. When trying to sneak up on a razor sharp fov focus, the grabing, jerky resistance is still some what there, making me overshoot a super fine detailed image. However once there, the image is Sublime!! I've already decided to give these SLC's a full hunting season of break in activity, maybe that is all the focuser needs!? If only Swarovski could incorporate the absolutely stunning smoothness and precision of the Leupold GR 8x42 HD's focuser (already own & focus smoothness is clearly better then any EL's, HT's, FL's and UV+'s I've tested), while maintaining the superb optics the SLC's poses, I'd be in Bino Heaven! o:D I really don't believe I'm expecting too much for the optic $$$ I've invested in. ...

Ted

Swaro focuser complaint #427, noted, bookmarked, and recorded. When I get to 1,000, and send all these complaints to Swarovski, do you think they will respond by finally redesigning their focusers? Nah, they will probably point to others who say "no problem with mine" and pretend that's the "norm."

Send 1,000 complaints of wonky focusers to Nikon, and someone is going to commit Hara-Kiri! Different culture.

Brock

Swaro focuser complaint #427, noted, bookmarked, and recorded. When I get to 1,000, and send all these complaints to Swarovski, do you think they will respond by finally redesigning their focusers? Nah, they will probably point to others who say "no problem with mine" and pretend that's the "norm."

Send 1,000 complaints of wonky focusers to Nikon, and someone is going to commit Hara-Kiri! Different culture.

Brock

Brock,

Maybe move the time frame up to 500 complaints...get them "thinking" about change! |:S|

Ted

I am with you guys. Having a smooth focus knob is absolutely paramount as you end up working that knob all the time. I would expect that Swarovski keeps an eye on customer feedback posted in key forums such as BF. It would be really disappointing they are aware of the issue but are doing nothing to address it. Even if they somehow fixed the issue in the 2015 models, they should acknowledge the problem in the earlier models.

I haven't seen people commenting about the position of the focus wheel - am I the only one thinking it should be moved slightly forward?

Brock

Brock:

I am not sure why you are so concerned for all the Swaro. users out
there. There has not been much of an outcry for change, just a mention
now and again.
You are playing a solo one-man band, and the choir is not listening. |=o|

As far as Nikon goes, I have tried quite a few, and I don't think they
get many complaints. I have not yet found one with any slack, and
most are smooth and work nicely. In fact the EDG and LX focusers
are the smoothest I have found. Just the right amount of grease. :t:

Jerry

Part of it stems from the fact that most any rural American seems to have a gun and hunts something.I would think in Europe the hunting culture is more upscale, more of a luxury.

I know, I'm stereotyping, but that's the impression many people have, true or not.

It varies a lot country by country I guess. In Norway, hunting is one of the most prosaic, down-to-earth, back-to-the-land things you can do, and almost everyone does it! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back