• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory Billed Found!! (1 Viewer)

Yes, but what about the rest of us dying to know the two things that stick out? Could somebody clue me in on these things. Anyway, are there any photos of trees that have been worked over by an IBW. I found one on BNA's web site, but the bark was already off the tree. I would like to know if there is a picture of the peeled bark anywhere. Can anyone help?

Jesse Gilsdorf said:
Yes, but what about the rest of us dying to know the two things that stick out? Could somebody clue me in on these things.
Indeed. Surely secrecy on these points achieves nothing?

yes it does achieve something..... it leaves a couple of "qualifiers" for sightings.... helps experts toggle bewteen reality and make believe..... or mis-identifications.

it makes it much easier to call BS on many purported sightings....

choupique1 said:
Having seen Ivory Bills and spoken directly with several other who have.... IF mary scott saw one at the distance she claimed... then she missed 2 glaring things that "stick out" when an IBWO is encounterd that close......

When seeing an unexpected bird, I have sometimes missed "glaring things that 'stick out.'" Yet I had no doubt about the ID, because identification rests on many characters, not one or two. I suspect even expert birders have, in the excitement of the moment, sometimes failed to notice things that are obvious when looking at a study skin or mounted specimen.

choupique1 said:
the more correct details..... the more reliable/credible wouldn't you say?

Maybe Gallagher's book tacitly agrees. It wasn't Mary Scott's report that sent Cornell to the swamps, it was Gene Sparling's.

CC... i would wholeheartedly concur......

the white/cahce area was on the radar screen regardless of scott or sparling... sparling got it in high gear.

Curtis Croulet said:
When seeing an unexpected bird, I have sometimes missed "glaring things that 'stick out.'" Yet I had no doubt about the ID, because identification rests on many characters, not one or two. I suspect even expert birders have, in the excitement of the moment, sometimes failed to notice things that are obvious when looking at a study skin or mounted specimen.

It is much like describing what one observes when one sees a robin on the lawn. The chances are that the robin was TILTIING its head to listen for worms, RUNNING a little bit, then STOPPING for another listen. Or one may describe the robin as pulling a worm from the ground.

In other words, if you see an IBWO, it's BEHAVIOR will be what sticks out at you.

Mary Scott's posted 'report' of her IBWO is not a case of OMISSION, but rather one of reporting the WRONG "glaring things that 'stick out.'". Using the robin's behavior above as an example - would you believe someone's 'report' if they stated that they saw the robin STANDING in ONE PLACE for about 15 minutes eating GRASS. I doubt that you would believe that that person's 'report' could be that of a robin. Yet that is how far 'off the mark' Mary's report of the IBWO is!

TimeShadowed

There was a very intersting programme on BBC Radio 4 at 9.05pm today fourth July, In interviewer was taken out into the swamps for several days, and actually saw the bird himself, accompanied by the man who discovered it. He mentioned that he had been looking for it for more than thirty years. Apparently it feeds on only one particular species of Beetle grubs. So conservation of that species is vital for the survival of this bird.

The local populace are cashing in, Tee shirts, Ivory Bill Beefburgers and just about anything else you can think of. lol.

Harry

Ivory Billed

O.K. From a local, the local newspaper quoted that the Army Corp Of engineers did a study and concluded that the pumping station being built on the White River just downstream of the sighting did not pose a threat to the Ivory Billed. The Arkansas Fish and Game commission responded with " That is ludicrous". :brains:

Goatnose said:
O.K. From a local, the local newspaper quoted that the Army Corp Of engineers did a study and concluded that the pumping station being built on the White River just downstream of the sighting did not pose a threat to the Ivory Billed. The Arkansas Fish and Game commission responded with " That is ludicrous". :brains:

:gn: :brains: :-(

Goatnose said:

Did the Arkansas Fish & Game commission representative actually read and evaluate the study and is commenting on it? Or is the quote merely a knee jerk response to some news reporter's baiting question?

Ryder said:
Hi:
Just heard that the Ivory-billed Woodpecker has been found in Arkansas!

Apparently a male has been filmed and was reported in "Science" magazine.

Lets hope there is a viable population.

Craig Ryder

It is interesting that this woodpecker has been rediscovered, along with a growing list of others that were once presumed extinct. I wonder if perhaps the Carolina parakeet might be found again, considering reports of it being sighted up to 1935, (after it was presumed extinct in 1918.) On the other hand, in addition, one species I feel is certainly extinct is the fruit dove Ptilinopus arcanus of the Philippines. This dove is, or was, only known from a single specimen, the island (as with the entire country) in the Philippines where it was found has suffered from habitat destruction, and it may have hybridized with similar species.

MMSLouis said:
It is interesting that this woodpecker has been rediscovered, along with a growing list of others that were once presumed extinct. I wonder if perhaps the Carolina parakeet might be found again, considering reports of it being sighted up to 1935, (after it was presumed extinct in 1918.) On the other hand, in addition, one species I feel is certainly extinct is the fruit dove Ptilinopus arcanus of the Philippines. This dove is, or was, only known from a single specimen, the island (as with the entire country) in the Philippines where it was found has suffered from habitat destruction, and it may have hybridized with similar species.

I think there is still some hope for the fruit dove that you had mentioned. There was an unconfirmed report in 2002 of Negros Fruit-Dove. Even if it is confirmed to have survived, this may not last long without serious conservation actions.

See BirdLife International link:

http://www.birdlife.net/datazone/species/index.html?action=SpcHTMDetails.asp&sid=2701&m=0

choupique1 said:
yes it does achieve something..... it leaves a couple of "qualifiers" for sightings.... helps experts toggle bewteen reality and make believe..... or mis-identifications.

it makes it much easier to call BS on many purported sightings....

Doesn't achieve anything, 'cos the answer is available by PM! Gives the impression of some trying to create an elite of 'those who want to know something others don't'!

Jos Stratford said:
Doesn't achieve anything, 'cos the answer is available by PM! Gives the impression of some trying to create an elite of 'those who want to know something others don't'!

I do not agree with you on this one. How do you know that "the answer is available by PM"??

TimeShadowed

timeshadowed said:
I do not agree with you on this one. How do you know that "the answer is available by PM"??

A discussion along the lines of the following gives that impression...

Post Just WHAT are these 2 glaring things that 'stick out'???
Please answer before I use up all of my nine lives 'dying to know'.

Next post Thanks for the Private Message choupique1. I kinda figured out your #1, but had no clue as to the rest of what you said. Now I can sleep better without trying to figure it out!

Happy birding, suppressing the means of identifying a bird is a new one on me! ;)

Jos Stratford said:
Happy birding, suppressing the means of identifying a bird is a new one on me! ;)

The information is available online to everyone who reads the BirdForum postings by choupique1.

Happy reading!!

TimeShadowed

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back